Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

*Build/Price:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...hanks-to-mkenm
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide (9/6): https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...page=&butID=1#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

2020 McLaren GT ... C8 Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobfred44
    replied
    Originally posted by P-Tree View Post

Unfortunately, it's a public speaking exercise, so not much to share. Just a slide deck with 20 slides, hardly any text, mostly pictures. Everything else is in the 'ol nogging. But, going over quick history of the Corvette, and then the C8 and the departure from historical norms. Introducing Zora and the fact he wanted to go mid-engine in the 60s. Showing some of the mid-concepts throughout the years. Talking about the benefits of the mid-engine layout. Getting into the C8 developmental cycle. Moving on to competitors, concept of a "Halo Car" (see Audi's success with the R8), and comparative price points for the C8 compared to the competition. While not a widely used metric, I used $ per horsepower. C8 is substantially lower $/hp than any other mid-engine vehicle on sale today. Ending with discussion of current success of C7 (see #2 / #10/ #19 spot overall in Car&Driver's Lightning Lap) and how I believe that it will be a halo car for Chevy, as well as show that the US can compete in the mid-engine market.
    Great. I am sure your presentation was fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Would they allow me on the National Corvette Caravan with my McLaren GT? Maybe if I rebadge it and would then some think it is the C8?
    Last edited by John; 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bobbytinvab
    replied
    This car really has some nice lines, in many ways it looks nicer than a lot of the other Mclarens. Maybe it's the lack of scoops around the headlights, but the lines go together very well. Not a big fan of the side scoop treatment, hope the C8 is better. I like the rocker treatment too. True it costs a ton and the maintenance will also be high, but that just goes with the territory on these. I've been tempted many times to get a Mclaren, I guess I'm just too locked in on the Corvette. As much as it would be great to have one of these, the C8 is what I really want to get and drive daily. I also suspect luggage space will not be an issue for the C8.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
    Once you option up the C8 the price gap will close big time..... I guess I'm one of the few that would rather see a 'high end' ME C8 rather than a 'bargain basement' model full of compromises that will support the motoring press comments regarding 'bang for the buck'. Isn't it time for Corvette to truly step up and stand with the 'big boys' rather than just imitate 'em, albeit with low end detailing??? Don't get me wrong. I still intend to put a C8 'vert' in my garage as soon as I can get one but it clearly will not rival the Ferrari or Aston Martin nor will it be intended to.
    While I'm sure some will feel the way you do, I think the vast majority of Corvette owners and would be owners would prefer a car they can actually afford to buy, drive and insure. A Corvette that is priced like a McLaren will sell in McLaren like numbers. E.g., not very many. That isn't GM's business model. A C8 that sells only a couple of thousand cars a year, or fewer, will be the last Corvette ever made.

If you want a car that "really competes" with a Ferrari or Aston Martin, buy a McLaren or a Lamborghini. Or a Ferrari or Aston.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thanks Mobius. My replacement battery at three years (preventative) for our C7 Z06 was $149 installed, but nothing on repairs over 3 years except two warranted items (a broken spark plug “C” clip and a replaced hood liner due to it initially having a white spot, latter discovered and replaced during PDI).

Fasttoys was talking about $8,000 shock repairs on his Audi R8.

Sometimes very advantageous to own a “Cheby.”

Leave a comment:

• Mobius
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeCT View Post
    One word - Maintenance.
    Our of warranty repair costs are an issue.

This guy spent $3000 on a replacement battery for his McLaren (the car uses a special low-weight LiOn battery), and later spent $35,000 (not a typo) replacing the steering rack.

Now, reverse is not working...

Leave a comment:

• P-Tree
    replied
    Originally posted by Bobfred44 View Post

As a old timer MBA I would love to read your presentation. I gave mine on the beginning of the GM Saturn project years ago.
    Unfortunately, it's a public speaking exercise, so not much to share. Just a slide deck with 20 slides, hardly any text, mostly pictures. Everything else is in the 'ol nogging. But, going over quick history of the Corvette, and then the C8 and the departure from historical norms. Introducing Zora and the fact he wanted to go mid-engine in the 60s. Showing some of the mid-concepts throughout the years. Talking about the benefits of the mid-engine layout. Getting into the C8 developmental cycle. Moving on to competitors, concept of a "Halo Car" (see Audi's success with the R8), and comparative price points for the C8 compared to the competition. While not a widely used metric, I used $ per horsepower. C8 is substantially lower $/hp than any other mid-engine vehicle on sale today. Ending with discussion of current success of C7 (see #2 / #10/ #19 spot overall in Car&Driver's Lightning Lap) and how I believe that it will be a halo car for Chevy, as well as show that the US can compete in the mid-engine market.

Leave a comment:

• Bobfred44
    replied
    Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
    It does look similar to the C8 renderings. This could in turn, make the C8 seem like even more of a "bargain". There are worse things in life than having your lowly Corvette being mistaken for a McLaren. I'm actually giving a presentation this weekend for my MBA program on how the C8 is going to shake up the sports car landscape.
    As a old timer MBA I would love to read your presentation. I gave mine on the beginning of the GM Saturn project years ago.

Leave a comment:

• P-Tree
    replied
    Once you option up the C8 the price gap will close big time.....
    Starting price of ~65k vs. starting price of ~210k. Even to reach 80% of the starting price for the McLaren GT, you'd have to put 103k worth of options on the base C8. Just going out on a limb here, but I don't think that Chevy is going to pull a Porsche and allow you to spend more than the base price on options. Even if you spent ~65k on options, equal to the base price of the C8, that would only be 62% of the base price for the GT. To me, not really closing the gap. And that's assuming that a buyer of new GT is going to have 0 options, which I would care to wager is around 0.05% chance of happening.

As far as the maintenance, I too find that appealing. What I also find appealing is that the aftermarket does not have exorbitant mark ups for Corvette products. You should see the GT-R tax on some mods, it would make you cringe.

Leave a comment:

• JoeCT
    replied
    One word - Maintenance. Although the rising popularity of McLaren has something to do with their drivability and reliability, if something does go wrong, especially out of warranty, hold on to your wallet and be patient. I might be dramatizing a bit but for sure its not the same as owning a Chevy and one thing we haven't explored much here is engineering for maintainability. Surely, Chevrolet has considered maintainability a significant factor where with many lower volume dream cars, performance has the highest bias.

One other thing jumps out at me from this thread - how many comments said how much this GT, and most other rear mid-engine's for that matter, looks like the C8 and vice-versa. Its a great look, I just hope for a future where we can keep a little more distinction. That said, contrary to what non-owners seem to first think and say, I don't drive these cars to make me look different or good (that would take serious magic), I drive them because it's fun, pure fun

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Once you option up the C8 the price gap will close big time..... I guess I'm one of the few that would rather see a 'high end' ME C8 rather than a 'bargain basement' model full of compromises that will support the motoring press comments regarding 'bang for the buck'. Isn't it time for Corvette to truly step up and stand with the 'big boys' rather than just imitate 'em, albeit with low end detailing??? Don't get me wrong. I still intend to put a C8 'vert' in my garage as soon as I can get one but it clearly will not rival the Ferrari or Aston Martin nor will it be intended to.

Interestingly enough...not all of us want soft supple leather...and all the techno babble apple this carplay that...

i just want the z51 fe4, the dct, the 500 hp rear mid engine sports car and Im good..

I dont care what magazine writers pontificate about....(bang for the buck still cheap material dashboard or door panels)

just doesnt matter to me...

i just want to have a few laughs driving up and around the 7 lakes and bear mountain..

when I take my kid horse back riding in my corvette and Im driving on dirt or gravel roads across wood bridges etc...the dirt and wood chips somehow ,get inside my cars interior and i have to vacuum weekly ..the kids messy...lol

most drive suvs , range rovers , land rovers and mercedes ...

i crack myself up as im dodging huge potholes on the dirt road to the stables...in my corvette..

being my own person makes me laugh...

you want 14 way power seats...more power to you.

just don't make me buy that stuff...

i tend to find six months after purchase i forget half those special tech items in the interior that inflate the msrp so nicely for the manufacturer...

jmo
    Last edited by JB; 05-16-2019, 02:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Great points tooold2race. The C7 was a massive step up in many ways, as you know, winning more major automotive awards (21) in its first year than any other vehicle before it or since.

I expect the C8 to be at least a comparable major improvement step forward, maybe even more of an upward leap.

Leave a comment:

• tooold2race
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    The c7 grand sport in car and drivers lightning lap equaled the track time, same year, same track of the mclarens 570 s ..

i really doubt the luxury oriented mclaren GT...is going to be quicker than the 570s....much less the c7 grand sport or upcoming c8 z51 fe4

even at 210 grand for the mclaren GT.

Leave a comment:

• Meldoon
    replied
    C8 KILLER......Maybe when they detune it, you know, down to say, 500hp, and start selling them for say $75,000.....C8 KILLER!!!!! 😎

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X