MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Reveal Countdown Clock! Official 4/26 GM C8 News. Finally, 7.18.19 Orange County Reveal Location Is Announced!

See more
See less

New 2020 Supra driving impression embargo ends at 6.01 pm sunday today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2020 Supra driving impression embargo ends at 6.01 pm sunday today!

The iconic supra brand embargo on driving impressions is lifted at 6.01 pm tonight so it might be interesting to post up any videos and articles here for our enjoyment...

im not a suppra fan...never was...it was a little heavy for my taste years back when everyone was drolling over them...

the new one is out...and its an interesting joint venture by the japanese giant toyota and the “ultimate german driving machine “ bmw...

these are the trends of the future with joint ventures for lower volume pridict so for that alone this upcoming release of information could be interesting and entertaining....

how far will the new 2020 supra stray from the original or last supposedly famous version the mark 4?

could this vehicle be even better?

i jeard the week long toyota event juggling journalist and youtubers all week was all supra all the time..,

future companies doing more joint ventures could be in the cards ...

who knows who..l

Not sure I understand the point since it appears to be all BMW under the skin. And talking about appearance - no, I'm not going to.

As a multiple Toyota owner, including an earlier Supra, it's a little disappointing already.

Comment

Ok...i appreciate your opinions...

im really just posting up information for any of us to enjoy if we should desire...

i do believe joint ventures on sports cars or any vehicles will be a thing of the future....for many manufacturers.

hopefully the new supra will be viewed more positively by enough to be successful.

i can appreciate supra mark 4 faithful being disappointed ....

nonjarm no foul..

only enjoy if you want to.

Comment

50 grand...everyday driver review

Last edited by John; 05-12-2019, 06:34 PM. Reason: Thanks JB. Inserted video here for easier viewing.

Comment

Autoguides enthusiastic young man review and he was gushing over it...thats a good sign

Last edited by John; 05-12-2019, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Matt Farrah of the smoking tire does a nice job informing us about the new supra....amd of course some track driving too..

Last edited by John; 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM. Reason: Again, inserted video here.

Comment

The yellow one with chrome wheels looks good and the reviews are favorable.

They are describing performance as 350 HP Miata.
              Last edited by SheepDog; 05-12-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

It might be the perfect car for some; but for me, can’t buy into looks.
                Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Motorweek review and i agree the looks remind me of the 2008 bmw z4 couoe which was unique if a bit weird..

but Im glad its out and available...the more competition the better..

50 large is the same price as the supra 25 years ago and its quicker stock for stock...
                  Last edited by John; 05-12-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Is it a competitor to Corvette? Maybe to an extent. I’m sure Corvette will lose a few sales to it for one reason or another.
                    I personally don’t like the styling but sure many will.
                    Good that there are other companies making sports cars. Helps keep the segment alive and bring more people into the game.
                    There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                    2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                    79 coupe Silver/oyster
                    All one owner
                    Museum lifetime members

Comment

It does not sound like Toyota see this as a Corvette competitor. I see that there's a Canadian angle with the car being made by Magna in Austria. Here's Doug's take on it. He's most critical of the auto-only (not DCT) trans.

Comment

It doesn't look too bad. Kinda has the viper look. Bit pricey for a Toyota though.

Comment

Well it was fun to watch the organized coordinated timed release...it was a flood of supra youtube videos...

personally I think the performance is impressive. I like that it has a bmw interior...supposedly german interiors are very good...I coukd care less its not like the mark 4 supra...i think the concept car ft1 was striking. I think the dumbed down sized down attempt to the concept was a huge fail. I think the styling is overdone with bits and pieces....the fake vents are a huge disappoint,ent as is what appears half hearted concept car styling..

its like an overweight person wearing tight leggings...just not appealing to the the eyes ...

maybe in person its better looking all I can say is I saw this vehicle with the black and white tape in person amd thought the details of the form itself was overdone and without the substance of the concept car ft1 just looked weird.

the one thing the mark 4 supra was ...was smooth maybe to the point of bland....but this mark5 goes too far the other way...

i think the substance of form is lacking and halfbaked and the details overwrought to over compensate...

its been a fun 24 hours ...i hope this sells well for toyota...id wish the best to owners as the vehicle goes out of warranty...durability has never really been an attribute in the long term ownership experience for bmws.

under an extended warranty would be a smart play for those who plan to keep this vehicle 100k miles or more.

i do not believe the details in styling will hold up well over time...the details are too fussy...

i think the clamshell hood will be expensive to repair in an accident ala viper and insurance premiums will be higher than normal as well.

might make it easier for toyota techs to service easier though and that might be needed quite often as the vehicle ages..

just my two cents.
                          Last edited by John; 05-13-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Car and DriverWe Test the 2020 Toyota Supra: Zero to 60 in 3.8 Seconds

Dave VanderWerp
                            The 2020 Toyota Supra is the proper sports car it needs to be
                            Yes, it's largely BMW hardware underneath, but if it works right-and it does-there's no reason to care 2/57 SLIDES © Toyota Yes, it's largely BMW hardware underneath, but if it works right-and it does-there's no reason to care.
                            • The 2020 Toyota Supra achieved a 3.8-second zero-to-60-mph time in Car and Driver testing.
                            • The fifth-gen Supra also impressed with a 12.3-second quarter-mile time at 113 mph.
                            • The trimmer dimensions and lack of a rear seat cut weight by 108 pounds compared with the mid-1990s, fourth-generation Supra.

We're now able to quantify our recent positive tingles from our first time behind the wheel of a production 2020 Toyota Supra. We drove one back to our office from Toyota's launch event at Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia and have now had the chance to run our full gamut of performance tests on it.

In short, the fifth-generation Supra is quick-even quicker than anticipated, hauling to 60 mph in just 3.8 seconds and steamrolling through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 113 mph. Our best runs involved a light dollop of brake torquing to get engine revs off idle and then carefully applying the gas pedal to avoid excessive wheelspin. The launch-control program, which was inconsistent in its engagement, was considerably slower.

These acceleration times stack up favorably against some bigger, pricier guns, nearly hanging with a Chevy Corvette or a Porsche Cayman GTS through the quarter-mile and slightly outaccelerating the BMW M2 Competition and the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350. This doesn't come as much of a surprise, given that it is based on BMW componentry, but the revived Supra follows in the BMW tradition of delivering far better performance than its claimed power, and thus power-to-weight ratio, would suggest. For example, at 10.1 pounds per horsepower, the Supra outaccelerates the Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, which has 120 more horsepower, each of which is only taxed with 8.2 pounds. It's less a question of whether or not the Supra's 335-hp inline-six is underrated, and more about how much. Unfortunately, we have yet to test a BMW Z4 M40i to see how close the Supra is to the more powerful, "382-hp" six-cylinder Z4.

Toyota We perform our full battery of performance tests-acceleration, braking, and handling-on the 2020 Toyota Supra and find that Toyota's revived sports car brings the performance to back up the Supra lore.

Although the horsepower rating is only 15 hp higher, the new Supra is quite a bit quicker than the revered Mark IV Supra Turbo from the mid-1990s, and-shockingly in today's world of almost always larger and heavier-108 pounds lighter, aided by its trimmer dimensions and lack of a rear seat. Our Renaissance Red test car weighed 3372 pounds, which is, impressively, a bit lighter than Toyota's claimed curb weight despite the fact that ours was a loaded Premium model, which pushed the as-tested price to $56,115.

However, Toyota hasn't divulged the coefficient of drag figure, and we'd guess by the way the Supra's high-speed acceleration tapers off that it isn't class-leading (all the fake vents probably don't help, but they would hurt more if they were real). By 100 mph, the Supra falls behind the Camaro SS 1LE and the M2, and, by 150 mph, the Supra is trailing those two by 1.5 and 3.2 seconds, respectively.

Despite wearing modestly sized Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires-that, yes, are branded with BMW's star (★) designation-the Supra averaged a heroic 1.07 g on the skidpad. That hangs with just about anything not wearing DOT-approved track tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelli P Zero Corsas, and slightly better than the current top-dog Cayman GTS and BMW M2. Braking performance from 70 mph came in at a solidly impressive 148 feet, right in line with the front-engine competition, although the slightly front-biased Supra (51.5/48.5 percent front/rear) can't hang with the rear-biased Porsche Cayman or Boxster.

Welcome back, Supra. You've been missed.

Comment

Thanks SheepDog. Good info here.
                              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X