Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

5 minute charging coming soon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 minute charging coming soon ?

5-minute electric vehicle charging could be here soon, professor says

Phoebe Wall Howard06:50, Jan 10 2022 BRENT LEWIN/BLOOMBERG
    Ford Motor Co is working with scientists at Purdue University on cutting edge technology used in jumbo jets and spaceships. (File photo)
    Ford Motor Co is working with scientists at Purdue University in Indiana on a patent-pending plan to slash the average time it takes to recharge all-electric vehicles at charging stations from an estimated 25 minutes to 5 minutes.

"That's a game changer," said longtime industry analyst John McElroy, host of Autoline After Hours podcast and webcast. "All of a sudden, it makes electrics far more viable for everyday use for people. It opens up the potential EV market."

The man leading the effort, a mechanical engineer, has developed cutting-edge technology used in jumbo jets and spaceships. Now he's applying that intelligence to all-electric cars – and how to reduce the time it takes to recharge batteries, so people don't feel anxious about watching their vehicle run low.

ADVERTISING

This is a physics class that applies learnings to the real world. Professor Issam Mudawar, 66, a Beirut, Lebanon, native who came to the United States to study at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has spent nearly four decades developing scientific solutions to industry's trickiest challenges.

Play
    Mute
    Current Time 0:09
    /
    Duration 0:15
    Loaded: 0%

Fullscreen

READ MORE:
    * Rivian plunges below IPO price on mounting EV competition
    * GM plots mass-market EV push under pressure from rivals
    * Rivian to build new $7.4b electric truck plant
    * How do we soothe electric vehicle "range anxiety" worries?
    * Ford NZ to launch plug-in Transit van next year

He initially predicted a two-year window until the electric vehicle charging technology comes to market. His team is working around the clock to make it happen by 2023. But he told the Free Press in an interview it could happen even sooner than his forecast.

Mudawar is in the final test stages for a special charging cable. That's it. A cable. But what it does is magical. Knowing that batteries can overheat when charged too quickly, auto makers have been trying to figure out a way to cool down the process.

Rather than redesign the battery, work instead to cool the process down. “Today, chargers are limited in how quickly they can charge an EV’s battery due to the danger of overheating. Charging faster requires more current to travel through the charging cable,” Michael Degner, senior technical leader, Ford Research and Advanced Engineering 1, said in November in a Ford news release.

“The higher the current, the greater the amount of heat that has to be removed to keep the cable operational.” That charging cable that plugs into an electric car resembles the hose you see at the gas station pump.
    DAVID UNWIN/STUFF
    The lab in Purdue has come up with a solution to a scenario that has paralysed the industry – where too much heat is produced to manage with available technology. (File photo)
    The thing that transmits fuel – or energy. But this new cable design from Purdue uses liquid to cool the cable, then turns the liquid to vapour. This vapour element is revolutionary. The secret Mudawar has spent nearly four decades at Purdue developing ways to more efficiently cool electronics.

The lab in Purdue has come up with a solution to a scenario that has paralysed the industry – where too much heat is produced to manage with available technology, Mudawar said. Using an alternative cooling method, he and his team have designed a cable that can deliver a current 4.6 times that of the fastest available EV chargers on the market today by removing up to 24.22 kilowatts of heat, Purdue said in a news release in November.

The project was funded by a research and development alliance between Ford and Purdue. Another reason for faster charging is because the need to charge is not predictable even though it's tracked on the dashboard screen like a fuel gauge. Battery charge is affected by speed, weather and topography.

Mudawar decided against pursuing a career in oil painting to dedicate his life to science. Addressing 'range anxiety' Worry about distance a car can drive on a battery is often called "range anxiety," and this new technology addresses that issue. But that's not even the best part. "People have said that range anxiety is one of the big things. But no, no, charge time is the new range anxiety," McElroy, of "Autoline," said. "People think, OK, I can live with an electric car but I don't want to be stopping for 30-45 minutes to charge if I'm on a road trip."

Moving quickly A prototype of this new technology, this charging cable, is being tested in the lab now. In coming months, Mudawar will study the speed of charge on various electric vehicles and move as quickly as possible to get the product to market. While auto makers led by Tesla – including GM, Ford and Volkswagen – have battery electric vehicles on the market currently, public use of charging stations is expected to surge in the US with the introduction of bestselling Ford and General Motors pickup trucks.

-Detroit Free Press
    paid contentabout

A thought if I might ...

This reminds me of some of the absurdity of ultra hi-fi music. Some "audiophile" vendors were selling "hospital grade, oxygen free" 120v power cords at $500 for an 8 foot cord, to improve the "purity" of the AC power to your audio component. But they overlooked he fact that, to get to that $500 eight foot cord, the power went through the same miles of crappy utility and home wiring as before.

To charge a battery five times faster requires a totally different battery design with far lower internal resistance. And the utility infrastructure to supply power to the charging station would have to be upgraded to meet 5 times the kilowatt demand.
    2022 HTC 2LT Z51
    Front lift, mag ride
    black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
      This reminds me of some of the absurdity of ultra hi-fi music. Some "audiophile" vendors were selling "hospital grade, oxygen free" 120v power cords at $500 for an 8 foot cord, to improve the "purity" of the AC power to your audio component. But they overlooked he fact that, to get to that $500 eight foot cord, the power went through the same miles of crappy utility and home wiring as before.

To charge a battery five times faster requires a totally different battery design with far lower internal resistance. And the utility infrastructure to supply power to the charging station would have to be upgraded to meet 5 times the kilowatt demand.
      That might be but often times big problems are solved one small prt of the time… chicken and egg situation
      Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

This is great if fast chargers on the roadways can get to charge a vehicle in five minutes.

Honestly I believe most charging in the next five or ten years will be done at night .

Ask yourself how many people actually drive more than 250 miles a day much less a week.

I predict after all is said and done the charging station companies with the exception of a few will go bankrupt.

should be interesting to watch.

Marketing to a perceived need and not an actual need again just my opinion,

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          This is great if fast chargers on the roadways can get to charge a vehicle in five minutes.

Honestly I believe most charging in the next five or ten years will be done at night .

Ask yourself how many people actually drive more than 250 miles a day much less a week.

I predict after all is said and done the charging station companies with the exception of a few will go bankrupt.

Exactly, how many actually daily drive more than 300 miles? Then put it into the plug when you come home.. like having your own personal gas pump with nobody in front of you👍

Those rare days when you travel further, use any of the apps that will calculate an optimized route based on traffic, charging points and availability… piece of cake… but as with many things in life, people tend to be skeptical until they have tried it…. Life is about trying new things and the day you have no appetite for new things… I hope I never feel that way and wanna try new stuff always🤞
          Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
            That might be but often times big problems are solved one small prt of the time… chicken and egg situation
            Yes. Maybe about the time we have big breakthroughs with electric charging and range, the viability of Hydrogen Cell power or even Nuclear Fusion would become available.:

"SWITCH's flagship zero-emissions vessel, the Sea Change, is a 75-passenger ferry powered by hydrogen fuel cells and batteries. The vessel is substantially complete and entering operational sea trials at All American Marine shipyard in Bellingham, WA."

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGR-Rendering_Web.png
Views:	241
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	346810

Comment

Interesting - Too many challenges face the EV Industry. Always has been. That is why we are still driving ICE Engines. Expense and challenges still have not been figured out. I wish them the best. - While I drive my Internal Combustion Engines with that sweet exhaust note.
              Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I predict by 2030, Charging will be as big a concern as wearing Seatbelts
                1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
                Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
                Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                  I bet it would be much better having an "on-board" zero emission hydrogen cell "charger" to maintain those batteries that power the electric motors. Let the commercial electrical grid deal with other stuff rather than trying to power the high energy needs of transportation.

Comment

Shell opens its first all-electric vehicle charging forecourt in London

The company has swapped petrol pumps for electric chargers as it embraces the switch to EVs.
                    https://www-mylondon-news.cdn.amppro...e-22748510.amp

Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

I average 185 miles per day in my DD F150 CrewCab. Depending if I’m in any of the 5 Burroughs of NY, my average would significantly increase. Obviously, I’m the exception rather than the rule, and as such, an EV wouldn’t be in my future just yet.
                      07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

THe fast charging network is not far off and discussions of 100 mile quick charge in ten minutes is discussed as easily doable..

home charging over night is really most charging occurs. My girl likes her ev audi. Says shell never go back to gasoline. She likes the porsche taycan she saw the other day and if the corvette ev cuv doesnt pan out by 2024 maybe ill get her the taycan...its good looking. Two doors down from me my neigbor picked up a taycan. Good looking car.

ill give the good quite often so let me say the one negative Ive recently found as this is our first winter with an ev..the range drops dramatically in very cold winter weather...gasoline vehicles do as well. We just dont care I guess.. in vehicles without a heat pump which is realitively new for ev cars...my audi loses about 25 percent range...

the cold probably saps 15 percent to keep the batteries warm? And probably about 10 percent to keep the passenger compartment toasty to my girls liking... she blasts the heat to over 80 degrees in the cabin..on off...on off etc...

so her audi holds about 250 mile range in the spring or fall..but without the heat pump tesla brought out recently which is more effocient...the audi has more like 190 mile range unless i just use the seat heaters instead if crazy girls blasting the heater to keep warm etc..

Comment

Most drivers don't travel more than 200 miles daily and are at home for at 10 hours including sleep.

10 hours is more than enough for most EVs to Fully Charge.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

What about all those that live in apartments or have to use on street parking. No home charging there.
                            There is a madness to my method!
                            C8 on order Torch/Adrenaline Z51, MSRC, front lift
                            2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                            2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                            79 coupe Silver/oyster
                            All one owner
                            Museum lifetime members

Comment

I’m confident that “eventually” the infrastructure will be there for quick charging capability. I’m also quite confident that the technology “eventually” will be there for long lasting charges when using heater, sudden increases in MPH, and decreases in ambient air temps, however at what cost? When the Median income in the US is $41,535, and an average EV costs $55,600, the average family would have difficulty justifying the purchase of an EV, unless perhaps they’re city dwellers, residing close to their work locations and drive few miles on a week to week basis. Although, I believe we’re heading in the right direction to do what we can to curb pollutants, I disagree with doing so at the risk of breaking up America’s’ Love affair with the automobile and it’s internal combustion engine. But, again, this is just my ¢2 🚗
                              07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X