Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CorvetteToday Podcast Delves Into C4 With Aficionado Brad Hansen

CORVETTE TODAY delves into the C4 Corvette with affectionato, Brad Hansen. https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...I0r3Da0OXhSCLC Brad is a LA videographer, but uses his C4 as a Daily Driver. Consequently, he has become a true go-to guy for all C4 do-it-yourselfers! Brad has a great YouTube channel and social media presence. You'll find out all about that and more on this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!

Listen Here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Website & Merchandise: www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
Get CORVETTE TODAY emails: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
Join the CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCRn-2X0SjjEXUt_...
See more
See less

Re-Thinking C-C Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Thinking C-C Brakes

For those who have also heard the mantra that carbon ceramic brakes work best for those who heavily track their cars, while that has been questioned by some inidivuals, here is it being questioned by a true heavy weight.

Originally posted by Motor Authority
    Carbon-Ceramics For Track Use? Think Again, Says Porsche [By Sean Szymkowski]

Carbon-ceramic brakes remain the go-to equipment for high-performance cars, but Porsche may give those who track their cars often a moment to rethink.

Paul Watson, Porsche Australia’s veteran technical representative, told Wheels (via Whichcar) in a report published Friday that carbon-ceramic brakes might not be the best choice for those who track their cars often or are heavy on the brakes in general. In somewhat of a reversal of industry standards (carbon-ceramic brakes outperform iron discs), Watson said some drivers may be better off with iron brakes after all. For years, companies and automakers have named carbon-ceramic brakes as the best bet to withstand heat while providing the best bite when pushing cars hard around the track.

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S, Valencia, Spain, January 2019

The problem sits with heat buildup, which degrades the carbon fiber in the discs. Over numerous track days and hard braking events, the carbon-ceramic discs will wear out very quickly.

"If you're doing club days, we'd always recommend iron discs," Watson told the website.

The technical representative wouldn't say how long Porsche expects its carbon-ceramic brakes to last and didn't want to pin down a figure since it's a major variable. Obviously, more track days and harder braking will wear out the brakes quicker. He recalled a mistake in the past when Porsche launched the brakes and the company said they would last the lifetime of the car. Owners reported back to Porsche, in some cases, that the brakes were worn out after a number of track days.

Somewhat humorously, Watson said there's a very different target customer for the carbon-ceramic brake option: neat freaks. The material doesn't leave brake dust on the wheels and owners won't need to wipe them down very often. Perhaps cheaper iron discs will suffice for a majority of the sports car buying population.
    https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...n-says-porsche
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Interesting revelation for the general population. Certainly the replacement cost of iron discs vs carbon-ceramic discs is also a very good differentiator for the average consumer too.
    Proud owner of
    1966 Ermine White/White Blue Interior L72 Coupe
    2013 Artic White/Diamond Blue Interior LS7 Convertible

Comment

The C7’s C-C brakes are a $7,500 stand alone option for many high perf versions. Competitors charges however start at $10K and go to close to $18,000 for a set. I like the last line in the article. Cleaning many complex wheels is a royal PIA.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

CC rotors are lighter. Less unsprung weight. Do you want performance or are you happy with the less expensive option.
        Pads and rotors are wear items that are replaced as necessary.
        3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

That may be true of carbon-ceramic brakes. Carbon-carbon brakes are another thing entirely. In 2007, I was told about them. Also, they were 12K per rotor.

Comment

We have CC brakes on our Ferrari. They were standard equipment. We don't track the car and I would guess the vast majority of new Corvette buyers will NEVER have their car on a track for anything other than 'parade laps'.

According to our guy at the Ferrari store who handles the annual service, it's likely that the car will go well over 100,000 miles before pads and/or rotors need replacing. That's good enough for me.

Additionally, the fact that there is NEVER any unsightly brake dust build up on the wheels is well worth the price of admission for the option on a Corvette.
            2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

I intend to get get carbon-ceramics on my C8 when they are offered. From the partial specs we have seen, even assuming they are legit, they are not shown — but could they be on the missing pages? Or, might C-C brakes be not offered until year 2?

Comment

The irony is that most of the C7 guys that regularly track their cars switch over to iron brakes. When you track the carbon ceramics often they wear out pretty quickly. I know a couple of guys who are track rats and they say the factory carbon ceramics on the C7 are done after 2 hard track days. Iron brakes are much more cost effective. If you don't track your car very often and you're not at the skill level to really push the brakes then carbon ceramics are a great choice for longevity and less brake dust.

Comment

Yes, the term “less brake dust” is the most accurate. Don’t get me wrong, I love my CCB’s and will order them on my C8 if available. Remember they hold the Car & Drivers record for the shortest stopping distance but, they do dust, maybe more visible on my Bronze wheels, mostly on the fronts. Not as bad as the iron rotor versions, but visible dust just the same. Easily wiped/dusted off with a micro fiber cloth or brush. Just not dust free.

Comment

I was able to reduce the front brake dust on my C7 by about 90% by changing my OEM brake pads to Power Stops. Same braking power. That is one option that is a lot cheaper than OEM C-C brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike6 View Post
                      That may be true of carbon-ceramic brakes. Carbon-carbon brakes are another thing entirely. In 2007, I was told about them. Also, they were 12K per rotor.
                      Rock Auto has GM CC carbon Ceramic Rotors for $1525.00. I don’t think you will ever see carbon - carbon rotors for the street.
                      To state again, CC rotors have less unsprung weight, and are far more fade resistant. Most all the super cars have these rotors. If you are Racing to win, you will run CC rotors unless the rules state that you can’t.
                      Also just for FYI. A Porsche 911GT-2-RS with 690 stock horsepower, set a new lap record at Road Atlanta of 1.24:88 beating the Corvette ZR-1 record of 1.26:45. Agree the Porsche is a lot more money, but from a performance point of view, it has the engine is almost the correct place (rear vs mid ) and used CC rotors. If you do your homework about unsprung weight, you will understand the why unsprung weight is so important for high end performance.
                      My C8
                      carbon ceramic rotors, factory or aftermarket
                      Carbon Fiber rims, also factory or aftermarket
                      Black Rose paint, also if not offered, will repaint.
                      see you at the track, catch me if you can.
                      Last edited by Racer86; 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM.
                      3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Porsche’s are terrific cars. No argument. I am and long been an admirer of their track expertise. Just not my visual cup of tea. If fact my loving gearhead wife who vetoes anything car related not more than once every ten years, has already has one, standing, fifty year long veto going, and that is a big NO for our getting a Porsche at any time based on their looks. Besides we are Corvette people and always will have one!

The Z06 C8 should not be counted out to beat the Porsche’s fantastic1:24.88 time — but that is about a year plus from now.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          Porsche’s are terrific cars. No argument. I am and long been an admirer of their track expertise. Just not my visual cup of tea. If fact my loving gearhead wife who vetoes anything car related not more than once every ten years, has already has one, standing, fifty year long veto going, and that is a big NO for our getting a Porsche at any time based on their looks. Besides we are Corvette people and always will have one!

The Z06 C8 should not be counted out to beat the Porsche’s fantastic1:24.88 time — but that is about a year plus from now.
                          I’m not a fan of the body style of the 911. I just wanted to show that if you want true performance, you must use the best equipment. I’m also sure that the C8 with the correct equipment will run faster than the Porsche. Seriously, with no disrespect to anyone, I have a hard time comparing a high performance option on a high performance car with a brake dust or cost problem. Change is hard for some. Tech moves on. Just my thoughts, yours may differ.

Comment

Lowering unsprung weight is a good reason for cc brales but the cost is crazy and the fact that on the track they dont last its reallybetter to pass on them unless decreasing brake dusting for street driving is a major concern.

there was a time gm was giving that option away for free on the c7 and at that point I would have taken them and enjoyed them...

payiing extra for them? No thanks....for free...sure why not...

lots of guys who track their corvettes with cc brakes take them off for track days putting iron rotors back on...and then convert back to cc brake rotors for the street....

i think inder hard track use the cc brales fracture where as steel rotors are just throw away items and replace for much much less money

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X