Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Camaro dead after 2024, replaced by Electric SEDAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro dead after 2024, replaced by Electric SEDAN?

From Motor Trend (which doesn't have exactly the best record): https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...=pocket_mylist

Currently, the two-door, gas-fed Chevy Camaro is without a future. But it has a futuristic replacement, according to Automotive News. That replacement is an all-electric sedan. Commence double takes, spit takes, and hot takes. At least the four-door that's slated to succeed the Camaro is billed as a "performance" sedan.

General Motors is of course in the midst of a huge transition toward electric vehicles. By 2035, the automaker hopes to go all-electric, no longer selling gas- and diesel-powered cars, trucks, or SUVs. Read between the lines, and GM isn't merely tearing up its internal combustion lineup and starting over, nor will it blindly adhere to its 2035 goal if the market hasn't shifted to support such a move—i.e., the all-electric gambit is a goal, not a promise, and if buyers aren't ready for only EVs, GM may still provide gas- and diesel-fed vehicles to meet demand.

If you think that means there is a hope or a prayer the Camaro may live on yet in its current form or be redesigned for a seventh generation, we have some bad news. As our friends at Hot Rod reported recently, the sixth-generation Chevy Camaro lacks a replacement; GM is sunsetting the Alpha platform on which its pony car rides. While it could slide the Camaro atop the Alpha's replacement, the rear-drive-based A2XX architecture that underpins Cadillac's CT4 and CT5, GM has apparently made no plans to do so. Chevy will keep the two-door Camaro coupe and convertible around until 2024, and then unceremoniously kill the model off.

The Camaro name might live on, however, which brings us to that "performance" electric sedan. Transitioning an iconic muscle car from a two-door to a four-door recalls Dodge's revival of the Charger nameplate—a moniker that long ago adorned two-door coupes but today denotes the brand's full-size four-door sedan. Of course, that sedan isn't electric—far from it, what with its multiple V-8 engine options—but even Dodge is making big electrification moves in the coming years, having already previewed an all-electric muscle car that looks like a retro-futuristic Challenger. Ford hasn't committed to electrifying the two-door Mustang yet, but it has introduced the Mustang Mach-E electric SUV that shares the pony car's iconic name.

Expect the Camaro's electric sedan successor to utilize GM's Ultium battery tech, and don't worry too much about the performance aspect. Just look at the GMC Hummer EV pickup, which is available with 1,000 hp and is said to be Porsche-quick to 60 mph. (Forget, for the moment, how heavy the Hummer is going to be ... ) Consider also that with an electric Corvette on the way, Chevy will probably have its EV performance chops honed by the time the Camaro sedan rolls around.
    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Thank you meyerweb. We know that the previous Camaro Executive Chief Engineer Al Oppenheimer was transferred to GM’s “performance electric” vehicles division about a year ago.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Sad that they are rushing things. Not sure we can do and afford the quick changes seems many many things are over looked. When we know the chargers were already once in place at many places but then they pulled them out for non use the cars didn't sell last time .
      Keep your cars nice and they last for years if you have a few to drive it keeps the miles down.
      Had many a Camaro in the day they were great cars with the V-8's

Comment

They better not push too hard into this EV thing. There is not even close to the infrastructure to accommodate what all of these companies are projecting. Another problem is acceptance and change which many like myself will not adopt. Good luck to them but they tried this many times before and it always failed.

Only 3% of vehicles are EV's. I'm not sure what they are smoking but their projections on this Whole EV thing are Way Off.
        Last edited by Frenzy36; 08-09-2021, 11:03 PM.
        Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I will never own a "spontaneous combustion" electric car. Will save my batteries for my flashlights! Now, ask me how I REALLY feel.

Comment

topfuelman to your point: one possible solution to all the excess Lithium which will result from these batteries EVentually going dead, is that The medical community could perhaps extrapolate the remaining Lithium, as a means to help cure those of us with mental health issues occurring as a result of the EV rEVolution simply not transpiring. So, we got that working for ourselves 😉 😂
            07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 03/06/21 Status 3300 (TPW 03/22/21); 03/16/21 Status 3400; 03/22/21 Status 3800; 03/23/21 Status 4B00; 03/26/21 Status 4D00: Status 4200; 04/02/21; 04/06/21 Status 5000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

”I’m not the best in town, but I’m the best, until the best comes around“

Comment

Originally posted by topfuelman View Post
              I will never own a "spontaneous combustion" electric car. Will save my batteries for my flashlights! Now, ask me how I REALLY feel.
              . Agreed! I like to hear my car and feel it rumble… silence is golden, but not in a motor vehicle..

I had kinda hoped they would do a mid engine camaro…. I love the looks of the camaro but honestly, it does not feel comfortable to drive, or at least, it did not in 2017 when i was going to buy one. It felt like riding in a low tank. I ended up opting for a mustang instead, more room, not quite as stylish imo.
              i love the looks of the camaro and will be sad to see it go if it goes..…

Comment

I have instructed my wife to shoot me if I ever buy an electric car.

Comment

Gas and diesel powered cars will be a glimpse in automotive history. The C8 will be my last ICE car and I’ll hold on to it as a reminder of the good old days 40
                  years from now.
                  Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by Top Off Action View Post
                    Gas and diesel powered cars will be a glimpse in automotive history. The C8 will be my last ICE car and I’ll hold on to it as a reminder of the good old days 40
                    years from now.
                    A very LONG glimpse, I think. From 1886 to 2035? 2050? I think private cars may go away before electric cars eclipse the history of gasoline powered ones.
                    Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Fwiw As an owner of a audi etron electric I love this thing. The electric jet turbine sound cracks me up as it accelerates just needs a volume adjustment inside the cabin in what should be a sport mode in future GM performance vehicles

if GM were asking for opinions forget the sedans....just make bad @$$ hot rod cuvs....sort of in the vein of a mad max remake 2024...

of course nobody is asking for opinions at GM....but volume sales units are cuv s....

just produce a terrorizing awd ev sports CUV ..like mini lamborghini URus vehicles that are pure electric..

if GM wants to make a sedan? Thats cool...Im not convinced the camaro brand name will resonate correctly on the east and west coasts...

i dig camaros but the better half just keeps thinking of those IROC jokes....with those business in the front hippie in the back hairdos..

i cant remember the hair styles name at the moment but unfortunately the camaro was quite popular with those hair styles and the girls never forget...

the mustang doesnt have that baggage, nor does the charger or challenger...

dont ask me why. I dont know...

maybe a performance model in a lineup of that is the quickest version called the camaro might be the trick..

sorry if I have insulted anyone

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        Fwiw As an owner of a audi etron electric I love this thing. The electric jet turbine sound cracks me up as it accelerates just needs a volume adjustment inside the cabin in what should be a sport mode in future GM performance vehicles

if GM were asking for opinions forget the sedans....just make bad @$$ hot rod cuvs....sort of in the vein of a mad max remake 2024...

of course nobody is asking for opinions at GM....but volume sales units are cuv s....

just produce a terrorizing awd ev sports CUV ..like mini lamborghini URus vehicles that are pure electric..

if GM wants to make a sedan? Thats cool...Im not convinced the camaro brand name will resonate correctly on the east and west coasts...

i dig camaros but the better half just keeps thinking of those IROC jokes....with those business in the front hippie in the back hairdos..

i cant remember the hair styles name at the moment but unfortunately the camaro was quite popular with those hair styles and the girls never forget...

the mustang doesnt have that baggage, nor does the charger or challenger...

dont ask me why. I dont know...

maybe a performance model in a lineup of that is the quickest version called the camaro might be the trick..

sorry if I have insulted anyone
                        The hairdo is a “mullet” I believe🥳
                        Coupe, 1LT, Rapid Blue, orange seat belts and black interior. ETA Late 2021.

First mods: tinted windows, orange DIY stitching, orange 12 o clock stripe on steering wheel, orange EL-wire in the cabin, orange engine cover, orange painted grille protectors and orange led light in engine bay✌️😎

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                          They better not push too hard into this EV thing. There is not even close to the infrastructure to accommodate what all of these companies are projecting. Another problem is acceptance and change which many like myself will not adopt. Good luck to them but they tried this many times before and it always failed.

Only 3% of vehicles are EV's. I'm not sure what they are smoking but their projections on this Whole EV thing are Way Off.
                          Smart Business are no more going to wait on an Infrastructure Bill to pass than Henry Ford was going to wait on the Interstate Highway System or convenience Cunsumer Gas Station.

Those who wait are sure to come in last, and those who come in last ... LOSE

We produce Movies and document History Books on people who Push The Envelope

1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                          2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT Mag Ride & Front Lift

Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels
                          GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Delivered – August 28th @ The National Corvette Museum

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X