MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Official Announcement of The C8’s 7.18.19 Reveal; Video of The C8’s Ride; C7 Production Ending This Year

2 of 3 < >

MidEngineCorvetteForum Traveling “Forum Flag” Program Created!

We just created our MECF traveling Forum Flag Program thanks to “Ripper!” Would YOU like to display our forum flag on your Corvette, become a member of this program? Thanks for looking at the thread, especially at FVS’ created Forum Flag.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rogram-created
3 of 3 < >

C8 Section Re-Organization, With Our New “Mid Engine Exterior/Interior Pictures, Videos and Renderings” Section

MECF members asked for our segregating pictures, renderings and videos into one area; looking ahead, that section will become our most viewed area once you get your C8’s. Pre-existing threads that fit are now being moved. Thank you for the suggestion!
See more
See less

Flexible Wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible Wheels

Science fiction or our future to help avoid bent, cracked, and destroyed wheels. We know tires are flexible but wheels too?

Originally posted by AutoBlog
    Michelin and Maxion 'flex' their design muscles with these new wheels

These tires bend but don't break

Transcript: Flexible wheels that bend but don't break. Michelin and Maxion Wheels have created this flexible wheel. To eliminate road-based damage to tires and rims. The Maxion flexible wheels are made with Michelin Acorus Tech. Designed with rubber so that they bend instead of break, they absorb impact from potholes and curbs. Maxion Wheels says this flexibility also improves ride comfort. The flexible wheel is designed to work with any brand of tire.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/08/michelin-and-maxion-flexible-wheels/

So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

I saw that, but I can't imagine they're stiff enough laterally to provide optimum grip under hard cornering. It's bad enough when tread blocks start to squirm. If the whole wheel is squirming.....
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

With the steel belts in the tires this is going to cause more shifted belts. I have shifted belts in several of my cars. I actually am replacing tires on a car with only 5K on the tires and the belts have been shifted and there is no other option other than to replace them. They are Continental Sport Contact 5P Tires and I would not recommend them. I am going with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and will be fitting them on Tuesday. I will see how they are and let everyone know. I believe they may be on the ME as well. Does anyone know where the pictures of the tires were I cannot seem to find them? Here they are.
      Last edited by Frenzy36; 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

I would have to imagine that if michelin ever produces and offers these wheels and tires that they will have to be safe?

the lawsuits if these wheels werent safe would be massive...

i usually end up buying a new set of rims every 20k miles due to potholes etc so this new invention intrigues me.

Id still rather get carbon fiber light weight wheels like on the mustang gt350 but these flexible rims shown here are pretty cool too...

excellent thread...

mind bending
        Last edited by JB; 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Michelin will not be their entire company on a technology that is not safe. This concept will be tested and rested under every pavement and driving circumstance conceivable. And then tested some more to ensure that they are safe for the average poor driver even while they are flexing.
          So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

I agree with JB it is mind bending. Only a small portion of the wheel bending so don’t know how it would affect handling. I have no idea about Frenzy36’s comment on belt shifting but would think they would figure it out to where it’s no more of a problem than with current product.
            Wonder how tough mounting would be.
            There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
            2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
            79 coupe Silver/oyster
            All one owner
            Museum lifetime members

Comment

The concept of flexible wheels is as counter-intuitive as the idea of a "flex frame" automobile that bends itself around corners better.

Comment

I think that this idea is pretty cool for the street. I remember those funky looking wheel tire combos where the wheel and tire were multiple spokes with a ton of flexibility and even more ugliness. I would think that this design would not be a good thing for the track, but daily driving would be ok.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X