Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Many automakers going all-in on electric. Is it a gamble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many automakers going all-in on electric. Is it a gamble?

We've already seen that GM says they'll be all electric by 2035. And I posted that Jaguar says they'll meet that by 2025. (That's less that 5 years. Sounds ambitious, but I guess their line up is pretty small.)

Audi isn't saying they'll go all-electric, but the are saying that "Expansion of its electric vehicle (EV) lineup—which currently consists of the pedestrian-looking e-tron SUV—is a top priority for Audi, "

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ric-sports-car

And Ford just announced a $1 Billion investment in Germany, and "targets move to ‘all-electric’ passenger vehicles in Europe by 2030"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/ford...cle-plant.html

If they've misjudged the public's appetite for an all-electric future, some of these companies are going to lose big. OTOH, if they're right, some other companies that are way behind on electrics will be the losers. I'd hate to be the person who has to decide.

Ford's plans: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/ford...cle-plant.html

Ford invests $1 billion in German plant, targets move to ‘all-electric’ passenger vehicles in Europe by 2030

Ford is investing $1 billion in an electric vehicle production facility in Cologne, Germany, with the European arm of the automotive giant committing to go "all-in" on electric vehicles in the years ahead.

In plans announced Wednesday morning, Ford said its entire passenger vehicle range in Europe would be "zero-emissions capable, all-electric or plug-in hybrid" by the middle of 2026, with a "completely all-electric" offering by 2030.

The investment in Cologne will see the company update an existing assembly plant, converting it into a facility focused on the production of electric vehicles.

"Our announcement today to transform our Cologne facility, the home of our operations in Germany for 90 years, is one of the most significant Ford has made in over a generation," Stuart Rowley, Ford of Europe's president, said in a statement.

"It underlines our commitment to Europe and a modern future with electric vehicles at the heart of our strategy for growth," Rowley added.

Elsewhere, the business wants its commercial vehicle segment in Europe to be zero-emissions capable, plug-in hybrid or all-electric by 2024.
    A 'transformative' decade

With governments around the world announcing plans to move away from diesel and gasoline vehicles, Ford, alongside several other major carmakers, is attempting to ramp up its electric offering and challenge firms such as Elon Musk's Tesla.

South Korean carmaker Kia, for instance, will launch its first dedicated electric vehicle this year, while Germany's Volkswagen Group is investing approximately 35 billion euros (around $42.27 billion) in battery electric vehicles and says it wants to roll out roughly 70 all-electric models by 2030.

Last month, the CEO of Daimler told CNBC that the automotive industry was "in the middle of a transformation."

"Next to the things that we know well — to build, frankly, the world's most desirable cars — there are two technological trends that we're doubling down on: electrification and digitization," Ola Källenius told CNBC's Annette Weisbach.

The Stuttgart-headquartered firm was "pouring billions into these new technologies," he added, stating they would "drive our path towards CO2-free driving." This decade, he went on to claim, would be "transformative."

Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/17: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Good question. What would have been the answer had this identical question would have been raised in 1905 by the makers of horse drawn carriages. So many truly Americans hated the automobile at that time. Look what happened in the following 15 years.

One year ago my wife and I said no way in hell to a plug-in electric hybrid. Nw we are loving ours. And another “heresy” is that while we still believe our next Corvette will be a Z06, might it instead be an E-Ra?. We can not now rule that out.

Thanks Bob Dylan. The times they are changing.

And perhaps in 2040 we will have a 50/50 mix of ICE’s and EV’s — so everyone gets to choose. If the public do not buy electrics in enough numbers, we will not be surprised that either there are still OEM ICE’s left or they turn around within one year and re-start making them.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

In a personl way, this topic is very much in my mind even after I've already put down a deposit with MM for a HTC c8 last month, this would be my very first Corvette and I've preordered the TSLA Cybertruck, I love the c8 HTC's look and the Cybertruck's look but the CT won't be available for at least couple more years, I'm torn right now, on the one hand the c8 HTC looks incredibly hot but it's also a high maintenant ICE vehicle, the CT is awesome looking and much lower maintenance requirement but 2,3 yrs out for me since I'm kinda sitting in the middle on the waitlist. On top of that, it definetely seems EV is going to be the way of future transportation, especially personal transportation modes, and it comes with new tech/conveniences that i would like to have, eg. Full self driving, home charging etc. It's really a first world problem but i really love to hear any ideas/comments on this, ie c8 vs Cybertruck/EV car choice and any alternative or option or just how you guys feel about c8 vs CT/ev cars in general. Cheers

Comment

The problem 99.9% of us face (exception those with unlimited funds), is that the rate of change keeps growing. We could be getting one next model C8 every year for while, or even very very often getting a complete new model with special editions debuting for those few years there is no new model.

Who among us can afford to keep buying new as the “latest and greatest” C8’s comes out?
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

i sure feel that, owning both expensive cars ie c8 and CT is not justified for me, i need only one for my daily driver and that's why it's kinda hard for me to chose, my brain says wait for CT, my heart says C8 NOW! so I might just keep the c8 for couple yrs and sell it to get the CT when it becomes available and in that case, hopefully c8 resale value is alright then.
          Last edited by KBT; 02-17-2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Well. The shift to EV will avalanche once it hits a critical point. The car manufacturers are probably projecting advancement in 1. speed of recharge . 2. Range between charges. 3. Govt policy. . . . . And Climate related backlash. Then rebellion. And heads rolling. California last summer! Texas this winter. Who next? What next.

If they work together the companies will determine 1, 2, 3.

If traditional companies do not change , Tesla will rule the World.

I love the gasp of the old double barrel, 4 barrel carburetor opening, Six barrel even more. Ten cylinders at 10 grand RPM, yup count me in. The 5.5L FPC? I can't wait. I'm 80 in 40 days. Youth does not share my passions. My peers, not me, are reaching for EV Scooters.

THE I.C.E.is an impending antique.

LAY opinion. What do I know?
            Last edited by SheepDog; 02-17-2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
              Well. The shift to EV will avalanche once it hits a critical point. The car manufacturers are probably projecting advancement in 1. speed of recharge . 2. Range between charges. 3. Govt policy. . . . . And Climate related backlash. Then rebellion. And heads rolling. California last summer! Texas this winter. Who next? What next.

If they work together the companies will determine 1, 2, 3.

If traditional companies do not change , Tesla will rule the World.

I love the gasp of the old double barrel carburetor opening, Six barrel even more. Ten cylinders at 10 grand RPM, yup count me in. The 5.5L FPC? I can't wait. I'm 80 in 40 days. Youth does not share my passions. My peers, not me, are reaching for EV Scooters.

THE I.C.E.is an impending antique.

LAY opinion. What do I know?
              Sounds like that thing you gain with life's experience, wisdom.

When you were born the first computers were coming into use for governments and massive corporations, weighed around 30 tons, used vacuum tubes, and performed one whole addition calculation every. 5 seconds!

The guy that built IBM into a powerhouse from their days of making timeclocks and card counting machines once supposedly said he thought there was maybe a worldwide market for only 5 computers.

Lesson - progress is coming. Be ready and get on board when it does or your business will be left behind.
              On Order: 2LT Coupe, Z51, Elkhart Lake Blue, GT2 seats, Edge Red Calipers, Mag Ride, Front Lift, High Wing spoiler, R8C museum delivery.

2000 status 5/1, 3000 on 5/4

Comment

It's an evolution. Gas isn't going away anytime soon. Shipping in particular long haul trucking, boats and air will use fossil fuels for the foreseeable future. Technology companies that didn't exist 10 years ago are coming to market with electric vehicles beyond well known ones like Tesla. Even Apple has thrown their hat in the ring. It's actually a logical step for technology companies to get into the EV industry since it is the technology that drives the core of the industry such as computers, battery technology, and software. All things these companies are experts in.

To the big automakers the writing is on the wall, if they don't adapt someone else will step in and take their would be profits from this sector. And if these new companies are as successful as Tesla has been, even with all its faults in manufacturing and service, then they the big auto makers will be replaced. They are simply hedging their future.

I'm 43 i'm kind of in the middle. I love technology but i just love the sound of a good engine and all things that come with tinkering with gas powered cars. The next generation coming behind me has different obsessions. They are growing up with iPads in their hands. Instant access to information and legal weed lol. The genies is out of the proverbially bottle so to speak and its not going back in, it will only get better. There is too much money on the line now for it to fail. Once they come out with a reasonably priced consumer grade EV mass produced under 30k it will be game over.
                Last edited by Big Hustles; 02-17-2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

^^^
                  Tesla already has BEV semis on the road, testing.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/17: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Comment

They have been Wrong about EV's Many Many Times before.

Article thanks to Interesting Engineering - FULL ARTICLE HERE > https://interestingengineering.com/a...-electric-cars
                    When were electric cars invented?

As we've seen, the creation of the electric car was more of a series of events than a specific event. That being said, after the early developments above there, are some contenders for the 'first' electric cars below, depending on your idea of what constitutes a fully formed electric vehicle.

An interesting early development in electric cars was made in 1834 by Professor Sibrandus Stratingh of Groningen, the Netherlands, (and his assistant Christopher Becker) who created a small-scale electrical car, powered by non-rechargeable primary cells.

Sadly, Stratingh was unable to develop his 'car' further as he died shortly afterward, in 1841.

A little later, in 1867, Austrian inventor Franz Kravogl displayed his prototype electric car at the World Exposition in Paris. This was an electrically-powered two-wheeled cycle that was not very reliable for driving on the street.

In 1881, Gustave Trouve tested a three-wheeled automobile along the streets of Paris. This followed his development of the world's first outboard engine, which he used as the drive mechanism of his Coventry-Rotary pedal tricycle.

Although, this was not a key invention on the road to a full e-car.

But it wasn't until 1884 that British Inventor, Thomas Parker (who also electrified the London Underground) built the first production electric car. Parker powered his car using his own specially-designed, rechargeable high-capacity batteries.

The first successful electric automobile, The Electrobat, was developed by mechanical engineer Henry G. Morris and chemist Pedro G. Salom in 1894 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This was a slow and heavy contraption with steel tires to support the weight of its heavy frame and a large lead battery.

Also in the U.S., William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa, developed a six-passenger electric car (wagon) that was capable of reaching 23 km/h. In 1895, consumers began to take notice of this 'new-fangled technology,' following A. L. Ryker's introduction of all-electric tricycles in the U.S.
                    Thomas Parker's early EV, circa 1895, Source: Wikimedia Commons
                    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Many people would be suprised at how long Hi-Definition TV has been around and where it came from. But HD had many of the same sceptics and detractors and excuses for why it will never come of age.

Afterall, HD had many of the same negatives and Electric Cars
                      • Delivery and Infrastructure
                      • Quality and Cost
                      • Size and Aesthetics
                      20 years ago, I had NO Flat-screen TVs or HD and the largest TV I had was a 36" Sony Trinitron

Now I have 7 HD TVs ranging from largest 77" to the smallest 42"
                      My 65" cost twice as much 11 years ago as my 77" I got this year.

20 years from now I'll be 80 years old, so I can't say some kid in school now won't have this Electric Vehical problem solved by then.

For me it's no Gamble, but 25 years ago we all didn't have out entire lives on our cell phones

[2021 2LT-Z51-HTC-Red Mist-Carbon Flash Nacelles-Mirrors-Spoiler][GT2 Sky Cool Grey 2-Tone Torch Red Belts][E60 - FE4 - RC8]
                      1st Deposit June 18th 2020 to 2nd Depost April 17th 2021 = 304 Days
                      [Current Corvette 1999 C5 Z51 Magnetic Red Coupe]

Comment

^^^

But no one needed to build out a new infrastructure to plug those TVs into, either power or the cable.

While I agree the technology will continue to improve, and the infrastructure will eventually be built, the HD rollout involved significantly less complication.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                          ^^^

But no one needed to build out a new infrastructure to plug those TVs into, either power or the cable.

While I agree the technology will continue to improve, and the infrastructure will eventually be built, the HD rollout involved significantly less complication.

^^^ Not true.
                          The move to digital TV signals *ENDED* the era of analog TV's. Sure you could limp around with a signal converter but for all intents in about a decade we all had a new better standard. Such will happen with ICE and most legacy technologies. It will take longer but it will happen.

Comment

Can you imagine when the Corvette goes full electric...... the cold-starts are going to be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Racer X View Post

^^^ Not true.
                              The move to digital TV signals *ENDED* the era of analog TV's. Sure you could limp around with a signal converter but for all intents in about a decade we all had a new better standard. Such will happen with ICE and most legacy technologies. It will take longer but it will happen.
                              But HD sets could still connect to existing cable boxes and show existing, SD content. Going to be hard to connect a BEV to a gas pump.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X