Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Indepth video redline review of porsches 992 turbo non S model 2.7 spoiler alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indepth video redline review of porsches 992 turbo non S model 2.7 spoiler alert

very very detailed indepth review of many aspects of this iconic competitor to the c8 z06 as it arrives...

this 200 grand non S model might just have its hands full with the c8 z06...

i think many of us could almost purchase 3 c8 z51 s for the price of this one and just be a tenth of a second behind in zero to soxty.

i admire the 911 although Ive never aspired to own one as this gentleman describes himself and “all other enthusiasts”

do any of you guys feel this is a pinnacle of every enthusiast or just those who dream of german vehicles?

great sports car if a bit evolutionary in design..
    Last edited by JB; 02-12-2021, 02:29 PM.

Thank JB. This is one outstanding car. Porsche made another superbly engineered vehicle. I believe that this review has inspired happiness in the C8 Z06 team for they, IMO, know that the C8 Z06 can go faster than that to 60 MPH.

I still have three things that personally I feel, that even this superlative 911 Turbo has these issues with it:

a) the interior looks like a 1990’s dash (yes the leather is A+, and yes it all works superbly, but it so dated;
    b) exterior looks like it was designed in 1980’s;
    c) for all its excellence, it is at least $50,000 overpriced.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Hope I’m wrong.

I take nothing near the price over my C8. And can’t wait for the Z06. But the 911s are pure hell out the hole. And the 911 Turbo has drive to all wheels. I assume that it takes an all wheel drive to beat it to 60, consistently. Seems like, also, that the NSX is more “instant” from a standstill that the ME rear wheel drive cars are.

The C8 is plenty quick off the line. And “I” would not be able to effectively use a manual anywhere near the effectiveness of the DTC. But is it really consistently as quick as the 911 Turbo or even the 911S. It does not need to be. For what it is, it is a rocket.

So. The E-ray may have that instantaneous go, like the 911 Turbo. , We will see.

Hopefully the Z06 can rock-n-roll to 60 MPH and above with the Mclarens and F8s which have their hands full beating the C8 to 60, but run away and hide by the quarter mile. But that is a full stride behind the 911 Turbo to 60.

I expect the C8 Z06 to distinguish itself at 100MPH, 123, 150 at the quarter mile, and on tracks

But with the with the 9K-RPM FPC and NA is may not be the meanest of the mean 0-60. Still it will impress appropriately.

Lay Speculation but that’s all I got
      Last edited by SheepDog; 02-12-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Porsche builds excellent vehicles, and I think even to be mentioned and compared in the same article with them is a high compliment. I love Porsches, used to own one, but everyone acknowledges they are at the top for performance and quality, at least thats my opinion. But expensive! Both to buy and maintain.

Comment

As stated above #1 Too Expensive #2 Really Dated #3 Still reminds me of a VW Bug which I do not like.
          Rocket City Florida

Comment

Well, I have to say I love them both... I have a 991 generation 911 Turbo S and now a C8. If I had to pick one, yeah, I'm going to pick the 911, but as mentioned, the C8 a huge bargain vs. the Porsche offerings.

While the C8 is no doubt a quick and powerful car, the easily tuned Turbo S is easily a much quicker car. Not just 0-60 where the C8 is surprisingly close, but really it's after that where the Turbos really show their strength and pull HARD when the C8 (comparatively) runs out of steam. For me, compounded even more at Colorado altitudes where NA engines are giving up 20-25% of their power vs. a much smaller loss on turbocharged engines. Yes, he Z06 will close this gap significantly while still being less than half the price of a new Turbo.

The price argument gets a bit more complicated when you compare, say, a CPO used 991 Turbo S which can be had at maybe just a bit over $100K to a 'price adjusted' C8 for similar money. That's a much tougher decision than comparing a 'new, at msrp' $75K Z51 HTC to a new 992 $200K Turbo.

As for looks, I love the 911. Not that I don't also like the C8's angular styling, but I don't think anyone is mistaking my Turbo for a VW bug...

Click image for larger version  Name:	drive 8-22-20 - 2 (1) copy.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	240660

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8 Delivery day - 7.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	240661
            Last edited by pfbz; 02-13-2021, 03:35 AM.
            Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
            Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Stock for stock....new for new....the c8 z06 should totally make the german iconic 911 fans crazy

!sticking with new cars only the c8 stingray acquits itself nicely under 100mph. Obviously tuned turbo vehicles easily make more power etc...

kind of another reason I hope the c8 z06 is twin turbocharged flat plane crank v8...

should be a fun battle royale....although in some areas the c8 stingray throws down some strong performance achievements.

this guys video is very very detailed..he certainly does the real deal automotive review pulling no punches even for his most beloved brand...

i thought his head was going to explode as he described the manual portion of that 4 way seat in this 200 thousand dollar porsche..

glad you guys enjoy the video too

Comment

...I hope the c8 z06 is twin turbocharged flat plane crank v8...
                I do too...

And I've been so impressed by my newly delivered C8 that I've had my dealer put me down for the Z06 version as well. Not an 'early' Z deposit, but likely enough to get me one in the first 12 months of production.
                Corvette: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, born 1/7/21
                Porsche: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post
                  Well, I have to say I love them both... I have a 991 generation 911 Turbo S and now a C8. If I had to pick one, yeah, I'm going to pick the 911, but as mentioned, the C8 a huge bargain vs. the Porsche offerings.

While the C8 is no doubt a quick and powerful car, the easily tuned Turbo S is easily a much quicker car. Not just 0-60 where the C8 is surprisingly close, but really it's after that where the Turbos really show their strength and pull HARD when the C8 (comparatively) runs out of steam. For me, compounded even more at Colorado altitudes where NA engines are giving up 20-25% of their power vs. a much smaller loss on turbocharged engines. Yes, he Z06 will close this gap significantly while still being less than half the price of a new Turbo.

The price argument gets a bit more complicated when you compare, say, a CPO used 991 Turbo S which can be had at maybe just a bit over $100K to a 'price adjusted' C8 for similar money. That's a much tougher decision than comparing a 'new, at msrp' $75K Z51 HTC to a new 992 $200K Turbo.

As for looks, I love the 911. Not that I don't also like the C8's angular styling, but I don't think anyone is mistaking my Turbo for a VW bug...

Click image for larger version Name:	drive 8-22-20 - 2 (1) copy.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	240660

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8 Delivery day - 7.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	240661
                  I love Corvettes, one of my close friends is in love with Porsche. I have found out that we love these very different icons for very dirrerent reasons. I can’t speak for you, but I bet you love each car for very different reasons too? What I am trying to say that disregarding price and forgetting about which one could beat the other one on certain tracks, it really bouls down to something not tangible (mainly history), sound preference and the turbo or N/A kick, which is v different. Apples and oranges, at the end of the day.
                  Last edited by Top Off Action; 02-13-2021, 12:56 PM.
                  Placed order for 3LT, Rapid Blue, two-tone blue interior & splash guards. ETA Late 2021

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post

I do too...

And I've been so impressed by my newly delivered C8 that I've had my dealer put me down for the Z06 version as well. Not an 'early' Z deposit, but likely enough to get me one in the first 12 months of production.
                    I agree..i dont want to do a first year again but Ill pick one up over the next few years to celebrate yet another milestone birthday even if Im a year or so early...

puts a smile on my face and at the end of the day whether we love corvettes and or porsches...or ferraris...or lambos or mclarens...thats what its all about...putting a smile on our faces...

great discussion on wonderfully iconic sports cars.....

Comment

220k as tested... wow... Don't get me wrong, they're great cars and I have enjoyed the few times I was able to be in the right seat and even one drive of one... But when I compare that 220k to (as I spec'd mine) 85k I know which one wins for my money. I can't afford multiple sports cars, if I could maybe I'd have both.

To me, this car equates to what we'll see out of the Z06 and the Turbo S competes with the ZR1, Zora, etc. So apples to apples comparison for me is base vs base. The 911 Carrera starts at 99.2k, has 379hp, 0-60 in 4 secs, has a top track speed of 182 and is not as well appointed as a base model Vette.

Easy decision in my book, but my checkbook doesn't support such endeavors as having two or more of these wonderful cars either!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X