Next Gen Ultium Delivers 500-600 Mile Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen Ultium Delivers 500-600 Mile Range

How’s we are talking. Thanks GM Authority for surfacing this exciting information, of course not just for the C9 but for other GM electric coming down the pike.

Originally posted by gmauthority
    Next-Generation Ultium Batteries To Deliver 500 To 600 Miles Of Range

Last year, General Motors revealed it was already working on the second-generation of its Ultium modular battery system, despite the fact that the first vehicles with Ultium batteries have yet to officially enter production.

First-generation Ultium battery pack

Now, the American automaker has revealed even more information on the next-gen Ultium batteries. During GM’s CES 2021 keynote presentation video, titled “Inflection Point: Putting Everybody in an EV,” GM Technical Fellow and Lab Group Manager, Mei Cai, stated that the next-generation Ultium batteries will provide a maximum driving range of 500 to 600 miles.

By comparison, the first-generation Ultium batteries are predicted to provide a maximum driving range of 400-450 miles in certain vehicles. Range won’t be the only advantage the second-gen batteries have over the current ones. As GM’s Vice President of Global Product Development, Doug Parks, explained last year, the new batteries will also be much more cost-effective, providing a 60 percent cost improvement over the battery found in the Chevrolet Bolt EV, while also being twice as energy-dense.

“This is big stuff,” Parks said. “For this and many other reasons, we expect to be on the leading edge of performance and cost compared to anyone and everyone else in the EV space.”

GM’s battery cell manufacturing joint venture partnership with LG Chem, Ultium Cells LLC, will compound with the second-generation battery advancements to put GM in an even more competitive position with regard to its EV technology. By manufacturing its battery cells in-house and splitting the cost with an established battery manufacturer like LG Chem, GM expects to have a dominant position with regard to EVs.

“Our manufacturing approach also affects the cost curve,” Parks said last year. “It’s a complex and developing manufacturing process and having a strong joint venture like we do with LG is the way to win. Manufacturing and joint ventures allow us to excel in operating equipment efficiency, first time quality and waste recycling.”

It’s not clear what the first vehicle to feature the improved second-generation Ultium battery cells will be, however GM expects the new design to enter production by mid-decade.
    https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...iles-of-range/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Mid-decade ? Might not be industry leading technology by then.
    3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Way further than a tank of gas ... unless your Jeremy Welborn
      Just need fast chargers and infrastructure.
      Last edited by Murray20c8; 01-13-2021, 03:36 PM. Reason: To tease Meyerweb
      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
      2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
      Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
      3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
        Way further than a tank of gas ...
        But I can "recharge" my ICE car in about 2 minutes, at any of 168,000 gas stations. On back roads and in small towns, not just on major highways and well populated areas. The charging infrastructure still needs major improvement to make electric cars practical for ALL the trips people take in their cars.
        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Awaiting allocation: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

But I can "recharge" my ICE car in about 2 minutes, at any of 168,000 gas stations. On back roads and in small towns, not just on major highways and well populated areas. The charging infrastructure still needs major improvement to make electric cars practical for ALL the trips people take in their cars.
          Didn't I say that?
          Call me "Meant to say"
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

When the Ford Automobile was first introduced to the World, how many gas stations were there then? At first, they dotted the landscape, one here, one there, and then 5, 10, 15 years later, people were visiting long distance family members they’ve either never met, or hadn’t seen in a long time.

As the technology gets perfected, I predict (in 5, 10, maybe 15 years) almost instantaneous charging stations of 10 mins or less or who knows, perhaps the battery technology will change so rapidly that rather than talking about how quick a charging station re-charges, we’ll be talking about how many DAYS a full charge will last before recharging is even necessary.
            07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 2LT Coupe; GBA; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

Comment

Originally posted by hogyld View Post
              When the Ford Automobile was first introduced to the World, how many gas stations were there then? At first, they dotted the landscape, one here, one there, and then 5, 10, 15 years later, people were visiting long distance family members they’ve either never met, or hadn’t seen in a long time.
              True, but when the Model T was produced, cars were relatively rare, and rarely used for long distance travel. Today's use cases and expectations are different. In 15 years electrics and charging capabilities will probably be ubiquitous. But we're not there today, and won't be when GM starts really pushing electric cars.
              Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Awaiting allocation: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

We are already seeing some electrics that can charge in ten minutes. Let’s be real that while we all do a 3 minute gas station stop in our neighborhoods, once one adds a snack purchase and a bathroom break when we are going many places, we are close to ten minutes. And if electric cars of five years from now can get us 500 miles range, that is better than 90% of our gas vehicles can now.

I would like, ten years from now, just $ 1 for everyone on this forum who is currently saying “no way” to my ever buying an electric, but who then owns one.

I said “no way” to every plug in just six months ago, yet now we love our Toyota RAV4 Prime plug in hybrid. BTW, I just did the math and it has cost us less then $13.00 total for all its electric usage in the first six weeks of ownership, and just under $25.00 for gas usage. True we are far from daily commuters and Covid has kept us home more than usual, but we are liking the both modalities providing us more than 42 MPG equivalent.

Let us remember that when we first learned that the C8 was not going to have a manual trans option, the hundreds who said “no way” to my ever buying one. Laughing out loud that all my friends who said that and now are sleeping in their C8’s nightly, or at least giving a nightly-night hug every night.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

My wife and I are on our 3rd EV lease. We have had 2 Volts and now we are on our first Bolt. The leasing strategy is my way of dealing with the technology curve. The original Volt was nice but it was low on the technology curve and not worth a purchase when considering a ten year replacement cycle. The new Cadillacs with a 400 mile max charge may also be leased because the technology just over the horizon is so much better. I have solar panels so I do not pay for gas, or even the electricity that powers the Bolt. My only cost is a dirt cheap lease payment. We have a really fun car with all the bells and whistles and the only cost is a special low cost lease payment. I can afford to play the technology curve by using low cost leases.
                  Reserved C8 July 30, 2019, Ordered March 9, 2020, Reordered August 5, 2020, Manufactured January 8, 2021
                  C8 Specifications: 3LT, Z51, FE4, Lift, Red Mist, Natural Dipped, 5-Spoke Trident Wheels Gray, STI, FA5, EFY, JGN, RCC, VTB
                  Preceded by 2017 GrandSport Coupe Long Beach Red
                  Preceded by 1999 Corvette Hardtop Black
                  Preceded by 1994 Corvette Polo Green Metallic

Comment

Good sound economic strategy. Kind of like some are leasing (monthly payments for a relatively short time) their iPhones and equivalent.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X