Manual Trans Just 2% Of New Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Trans Just 2% Of New Vehicles

I knew that manual transmissions were being selected by a declining number of purchasers, but wow, down to just 2%.

Originally posted by DetroitNews
    Graveyard shift: Manual transmissions on the way out

Robert Duffer, Chicago Tribune
    (Photo: Robert Duffer / TNS)

The tween riding in the back seat finally asked, “What is that thing you keep moving up there?”

She had never seen “that thing” known as a six-speed stick shift, a manual transmission, a manny tranny, a handshaker, a millennial theft deterrent.

Manual transmissions account for just 2 percent of all vehicles sold in 2018, according to data from Edmunds.com. In 2006, 47 percent of new models in the U.S. were offered with automatics and manuals. Now it’s down to 20 percent and dropping sharply.

“For automakers it will be simpler when the manual dies,” said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. “It’s kind of a hassle for them to offer both, same with dealers. Given the market forces, it’s going to go away.”

Not too long ago, when push-button AM radios were infotainment and there were cigarette lighters instead of USB ports, all cars had manual transmissions. In the ’50s during the boom of babies, cars and America, GM’s Hydra-Matic automatic transmission made driving accessible to everyone.

In the half-century since, automakers and suppliers have advanced the automatic into something drivers never have to consider. Modern automatics are quicker, more efficient, much easier to operate, and better than most drivers. Call it progress, the inevitable inexorable direction of taking control from the driver for the sake of automation.

As consumers preferred the automatic, automakers stopped offering the manual to cut the costs of offering two powertrains. “We have seen that buyers aren’t asking for them,” said Mark Gillies, spokesman for Volkswagen. “We had a manual option in the old Tiguan, but almost no one took it.”

There are few utility vehicles with a manual, including midsize pickups in the aging Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier, as well as the six-speed manual in the new Jeep Wrangler. The remaining manuals are in subcompact commuter cars or sports cars.

“In our value vehicles, there is still a market for cost efficiency with a manual than a little higher priced automatic,” said James Bell, director of corporate communications for Kia.

Yet for some enthusiasts or iconoclasts and everyone we spoke to for this article, there’s no other way to drive than with a manual. The numbers and the logic don’t matter. Rowing your own gears is simply more fun.

“There is a feeling of great control as a driver, and there is the sheer physical pleasure of managing a perfect shift,” said Gillies, who, as the former executive editor of Car and Driver, has had enviable success on the race track. “I feel more in touch if I am operating the gears.”
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ring/36982003/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

It's a shame to see manual transmissions diminishing in number, since a manual allows the driver so much additional authority over power delivery.

The C7 clutch also allows the driver to modulate tire spin beautifully, and I'll admit spinning the tires is a guilty pleasure of mine.
    My C8:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Know some like the manual but it drives up development cost and complicates repairs with logistical requirements for a tiny part of the needed vehicle support by manufacturers. Will just be a matter of time before it is gone completely by the wayside especially with alternative energy vehicles being the way forward. For me it cannot come too soon.

Mobius---spinning the tires used to be a lot of fun now with the HP being what it is on my car it gets a little scary Quick!!!
      Last edited by Busa Dave; 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Our DCT on the ME will be our first non-clutched manual trans in 53 straight vehicles. I know there will be some upsides to the change to the DCT, but if (and I totally doubt), the ME were to have a manual trans option, I would select that box.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I had lunch with forum member Stevera2, and he noted something interesting. “What is the now the best theft deterrent system for those who carjack and similar?”

Answer: A manual transmission because almost every car thief out there now can not drive a manual transmission car.

He was not telling it as a joke — but a fact.

Comment

My 2016 Z06 is my first automatic car but it was a decision I made about 6 months after surgery to put my hip and pelvis back together after a bicycle crash.

I kind of miss having a clutch but I do have three other manual Corvettes when I feel the need to shift my own gears.
            1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
            2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

brad66, so glad you recovered as well as you have after your bicycle crash. I had no idea when we were spending time at the BASH this spring that you were bionically put back together after your reconstruction.

My wife and I were having a similar transmission conversation today at lunch, concluding, “at least each of our DD’s is a traditional stick shift.”
              Last edited by John; 07-20-2018, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The stick shift is what I've always bought , the one bad thing (for me anyway) is that I couldn't drive home with a broken right arm (LoL) & that's the only reason for purchasing the automatic 1228 days ago but still smiling that I did ...
                Last edited by Ssscooter66; 07-20-2018, 01:37 PM.
                A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  I had lunch with forum member Stevera2, and he noted something interesting. “What is the now the best theft deterrent system for those who carjack and similar?”

Answer: A manual transmission because almost every car thief out there now can not drive a manual transmission car.

He was not telling it as a joke — but a fact.
                  True, there are plenty of stories on the web attesting to this - here's one:

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-p...l-transmission
                  My C8:
                  '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                  '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                  '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                  '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X