MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Special Tadge Juechter On Corvette Today Podcast Now

Steve Garrett has the honor of talking to Corvette's Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter on CORVETTE TODAY!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...60a01_h0PwqXjw

Tadge talks about how he started working at GM, what his first job was for the company, his path to success and how he attained his current position. Then Steve and Tadge trace his time with the C4, C5 and C6.  You'll learn how the C7 almost became the mid-engine Corvette!  Tadge talks about how the true mid-engine car we know today was being developed while the C7 was coming to market! Next Tadge takes a deep dive into the development and product launch of the current C8 Corvette. He talks about how the Corvette team attained the buy-in for GM executives to build the car, the research and architecture of the C8 and the future of this mid-engine marvel.

Tell your friends, stop what you're doing right now and check out this outstanding episode of CORVETTE TODAY with Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett (listen to all CORVETTE TODAY podcasts)

CorvetteToday.ck.page (sign up for email updates here)
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

de Tomaso an American car company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de Tomaso an American car company?

I didn't even know de Tomaso was still in existence.

De Tomaso Is Moving to the U.S. to Save Our Car Industry

The Italian supercar company's new self-appointed mission: to "restore the romance, beauty, passion, and elegance in the luxury American automotive industry."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...-car-industry/

Click image for larger version

Name:	img-0408-jpg-1603288610.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	201103

Supercar manufacturer De Tomaso has announced that it will leave its European roots behind and relocate its design, corporate, and production facilities to the United States. The boutique automaker has decided that, rather than wait for someone else to take the plunge and build handcrafted artisan supercars in the U.S., it’ll move its operations here and build them itself.

Name:	de-tomaso-p72-front-angle-1562161937.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	201104

According to De Tomaso, the move, dubbed Mission AAR (for "American automotive renaissance") comes from "a love for and discontent with the American automotive industry." It says it wants to "restore the romance, beauty, passion, and elegance in the luxury American automotive industry." How charitable.

Historically, De Tomaso has had strong links with the U.S. auto industry, as current CEO and CMO Ryan Berris points out: "We can never forget where we came from. De Tomaso has a deep history with American automotive—Shelby, Iacocca, Brock—it’s about telling untold chapters of American automotive history. This is about showcasing how De Tomaso will carry itself in the future. There’ll be crossover with the rest of the world, sure, but we’ll be doing broad hiring in America."

The company’s view on recent U.S. automotive efforts seems dim, then, and rather than wait to see if the nation's car industry can turn itself around, De Tomaso wants to bring the fight to the States. Berris goes on to explain that the firm’s mission is to fully embrace homegrown American skills, and give people who might only get to stare longingly at a Ferrari from a distance a shot at supercar making in their home country.

He envisions the long-dormant supercar company as nothing less than a national savior. "De Tomaso is and shall continue to be a purpose-driven brand that stands for much more than its product," Berris said. "How can we give back to the community in a true, honest way? There’s such deep talent that deserves an opportunity, that glimmer of hope. So many people look across the pond and dream of what could be and there’s so much undiscovered talent, we want to bring people in on this side of the Atlantic."

While the company seems to be going on the attack, Berris does acknowledge that the tiny De Tomaso has its limitations. The brand will seek to partner and collaborate with U.S. industry in building new vehicles. De Tomaso views its core competencies as "romantic designs with world-class engineering, hand-built by skilled artisans," per its press release; the plan is to compliment those skills by working with established industry players to fill in the gaps. (It's yet to be seen whether the major American automakers will take De Tomaso up on the offer.)

On our call, Berris offered the example of electrification: It would make no sense for De Tomaso to build its own electric powertrain when others out there have already got it down. (A mere example, it seems; the company has no plans to release an EV.)

Berris revealed some key points about De Tomaso’s Mission ARR. "In the age of social media there’s an oversaturation. What happened to the posters on your wall? Now it’s all on your phone—what are you going to do with that? The teaser images we put out are all about creating true art forms, depicting a story of items that are going to be on concours stages for decades to come, of the mechanical rather than the digital."

He also noted that, when the limited-run P72 supercar was revealed at the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed, the company already knew it was going to move to the U.S. The fact that none of this information leaked out, in today's media environment, is frankly astonishing. It makes you wonder what else the company has going on.

SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

I probably couldn't afford it, but I'd be real interested in buying a modernized version of THIS de Tomaso. Keep the styling exactly as it was, just modernize the engine, drivetrain and electronics.

Name:	1972-De-Tomaso-Pantera-Side-660x439.png
Views:	116
Size:	619.5 KB
ID:	201106

Name:	237054_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	201107
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I always liked the Pantera, but the other designs you really have to get use to.

Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC Z51 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat/2-Tone Sky Cool Grey
      Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

This is great news. I hope the topic is not band because it is not a Corvette.

Comment

Chased a Pantera from Buffalo to Toronto one day. Went to watch Tim Horton play for the Sabres. Hard to keep up then in my 71 Duster 340. Managed to pass him once. He kept paying the highway tolls for me and I needed to reciprocate. Was a gorgeous car for it's time.
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
            This is great news. I hope the topic is not band because it is not a Corvette.
            We appreciate all kinds of performance vehicles here. Even Mustangs!

The brand will seek to partner and collaborate with U.S. industry in building new vehicles. De Tomaso views its core competencies as "romantic designs with world-class engineering, hand-built by skilled artisans," per its press release; the plan is to compliment those skills by working with established industry players to fill in the gaps.
            Following in the tradition of the Ford V8 powered Pantera, can't help but think an LT2 powered de Tomaso would be an interesting vehicle.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

We appreciate all kinds of performance vehicles here. Even Mustangs!

I did not know Mustangs were considered performance vehicles... I always thought of them as the less attractive stepchild of the Pinto, and just as slow. That is why Ford needed Shelby to fix them.

Comment

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

We owned a 1973 Pantera L for 10 years. I rebuilt the Ford 351 Cleveland engine with .040” over 11:1 pistons, Elgin camshaft, ported the heads myself, and harlan / sharp roller rockers. Engine made just over 410 hp. Looking back now, with a C8 in our garage, both cars are very similar in feel. Of course, the Pantera had no nannies at all, so you paid attention to your driving compared to the C8. Both cars as stock had/ has a touch of understeer, which on the Pantera we tuned out with adjustable swaybars. Considering that our Pantera is now 47 years old , it’s amazing how far ahead of its time it was. It really should be called a Pantera C8.
                  oh yea, forgot, for you old guys, the carburetor on our engine was a 950 Holley 3 barrel with gear drive secondaries, and duel 50cc “squirters” ,,,,,,,basically a giant fuel leak. Ran great between gas stations
                  Last edited by Racer86; 10-24-2020, 11:05 AM.
                  3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

I had a Pantera back in the 70s. Think it is just the two pushrod low RPM engines that make C8 Stingray and Pantera feel alike. My old memory is that the Pantera was stiffer with bad twitchy aero.

The 70s Pantera engine was a pushrod one. Like LT2. That gives the two a similar feel.

???if. Put the LT2 or 351 Clevland in a Ferrari, Lambo, Mclaren then the feeling would have some similarity to the Pantera and Stingray????

Well, the flat plane crank 5.5 in the C8 Z06 will further clarify the identity range of the C8, one way or the other.

If it cranks 9K RPMs, then what will it most feel like?

But. The Z06 suspension and aero will probably be altered too.

But NSX, Corvette and Pantera plus the fastest car on earth will b a strong American offering.

Last edited by SheepDog; 10-24-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nooshinjohn View Post

I did not know Mustangs were considered performance vehicles... I always thought of them as the less attractive stepchild of the Pinto, and just as slow. That is why Ford needed Shelby to fix them.
                      Oh, I think the GT350 and GT500 qualify.....

Oh the other hand.....

Name:	8a27b7d14a69c069b8a46bf03e59bb76.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	201678

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                      >36,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                        ???if. Put the LT2 or 351 Clevland in a Ferrari, Lambo, Mclaren then the feeling would have some similarity to the Pantera and Stingray????
                        Speaking of Chevy engined Ferraris....

Fastest Ferrari: 8.8-litre twin-turbo 288 GTO

If there’s anything more sacrilegious than a Chevrolet-powered Ferrari, we don’t know what it is. Well, except perhaps for said Chev-driven Fezza being the fastest Prancing Horse on the planet. (Ooh, or maybe a Ford-powered Ferrari!)

Ferrari Collector Steve Trafton created this insane beast by taking a 1985 288 GTO (a car worth an immense sum of money today) and cramming an 8.8-litre Chevrolet big-block in the trunk. Add a couple of turbochargers with 17 psi of boost and you’ve got a monster that produces up to 2,500 horsepower.

At the Bonneville Salt Flats, the Cavallo Volante, as it has been dubbed, managed a top speed average of 275.4 mph.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >36,000 miles

Comment

The way that the C8 is physically designed seems to make supercharging hard to do. An the computer controls eliminate super charging and turbos, for now anyway.

The C8 with an LT5? Did GM never satisfy a curiosity about that? Well that might be the the set up of modern "American" Pantera.. Pantera has always used proven engines by a major car maker, not its own.

If Pantera comes here, then it may switch from expensive Lambo engines to Chevy. LT5 or even LT6

GM already knows what the LT6 will do and that may explain an absence of any apparent curiosity about an LT5 C8.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                            I probably couldn't afford it, but I'd be real interested in buying a modernized version of THIS de Tomaso. Keep the styling exactly as it was, just modernize the engine, drivetrain and electronics.
                            I also like this 'modernized' 1971 Pantera - https://www.designboom.com/technology/ring-brothers-de-tomaso-pantera-adrnln-11-09-2017/

Click image for larger version  Name:	ring-brothers-adrnln-03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	201971

Last edited by shiumai; 10-25-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X