Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

GM Is Radically Changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Is Radically Changing

This is an amazingly vivid measure of how radical GM is changing. I was truly shocked when I read it the first time, but now amazed how smart this change was/is.

Originally posted by autoblog
    Chevy Camaro chief engineer switching to EV program; Al Oppenheiser will be Chief Engineer of GM's future EVs!

Maybe that needs re-stating for its magnitude to sink in. Chevy Camaro Chief Engineer switching to EV program; Al Oppenheiser will be Chief Engineer of GM’s future EV’s!

Al Oppenheiser is the one who took Camaro’s straight line acceleration and under his leadership over the next few years changed the Camaro to being able to outperform a Porsche Turbo S and Nissan GTR Track Edition at VIR Raceway in the Lightning Lap competition .

That change is kind of like removing Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter from the Corvette program and making him the head of GM’s future EV’s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3BEB34B7-BEC0-46E6-9827-C8441515A104.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	18633

l Oppenheiser is the man most synonymous with the Chevy Camaro. He has been the chief engineer for the fifth and sixth generationsof the American sports car and is largely credited with making it the spectacular performer we know today. Now, Car and Driver reportshe is going over to General Motors' electric vehicle team as its chief engineer, and a representative from Chevrolet has confirmed the move.

He will also reportedly be overseeing multiple models, rather than just one with the Camaro. Taking over for Oppenheiser on the Camaro program will be Mark ****ens from the Performance Variants, Parts, Accessories and Motorsports Engineering department, where he has been for 3 years. ****ens has also been the Program Engineering Manager for fifth and sixth generation Camaro, so he seems like a good choice to take over the program. The Chevy representative we spoke with said that Oppenheiser and ****ens will begin their new jobs in January.

Oppenheiser has been the enthusiastic face for the iconic car, which has remained an enthusiast favorite since its reintroduction for the 2010 model year.

Side note: Chevy’s electric cars should be pretty superb drivers with Al at the helm.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/07/...er-ev-program/
    Last edited by John; 12-09-2018, 05:39 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Al O made the camaro an amzing perfor,amce icon. Im sure his efforts with future ev s will be even more impressive.

Comment

You just won’t be able to see out of them

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike6 View Post
        But you won't need to, since they'll all be autonomous.
        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

His expertise on performance and handling will be a great asset to GM’s alternative powertrain vehicles. Having a low CG for a battery pack will be a great handling asset he inherits. The more I think of this move, especially as the number #2 in Camaro engineering also has an excellent rep, seems like a really smart re-assignment for the company. It also send a signal to all at mangers/salaried workers at GM, that we will use your expertise where it will most benefit the company in this massive, many year transition away from 95% gas engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike6 View Post
            My friends and I refer to the inside of my Camaro as 'The Bunker'
            Sigmon - Hamilton, Ohio, USA
            2021 Elkhart Lake Blue Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 3LT Z51, D30, BV4, E60, EYK, FA5, FE4, Q8T, ZZ3, J6N
            Deposit: March 20/20, 1100: Nov 17/20, 2000: Feb 12/21, 3000: Feb 17/21, 3300: April 15/21, 3400: April 23/21 TPW 5/3/21, 3800: 5/4/21, 4200: 5/10/21, 5000: 5/10/21, 6000: 5/10/21

Comment

I think it is a interesting move but I still have a problem seeing how they are going to go to that much electrification in the timeframe they are touting. Seems like a ton of infrastructure will have to be added to recharge everything and what are they going to do about long distance travel. Can they recharge in say fifteen minutes or do battery swaps. Lots of questions to me.
              There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
              79 coupe Silver/oyster
              All one owner
              Museum lifetime members

Comment

Yes GM is having to do this to remain viable in the future. Like it or not the entire industry is moving away from the internal combustion engine. The change is inevitable and I have no doubt whatsoever that the C-9 will be an electric or at the very least a hybrid. Not easy for me to give up my oil burner truck but it is what it is and as technology changes and increased USG regulations it is inevitable additionally, consumers are demanding it. Maybe not as much for the participating members of this forum but for the younger drivers coming into the market they like them very much.

For me I will go albeit kicking and screaming but I will have little choice before my days of driving are over...

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post
                  I think it is a interesting move but I still have a problem seeing how they are going to go to that much electrification in the timeframe they are touting. Seems like a ton of infrastructure will have to be added to recharge everything and what are they going to do about long distance travel. Can they recharge in say fifteen minutes or do battery swaps.
                  Those are good questions. As for the last one, charging, this is from Tesla:

Click image for larger version  Name:	L123-diagrams-Tesla-v5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	18714
                  My C8:
                  '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                  '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                  '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                  '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

No C8 ME reveal at NAIAS, as here:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/...oit-auto-show/
                    Last edited by John; 12-10-2018, 11:40 AM.
                    Your friendly neighborhood Technician

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

Those are good questions. As for the last one, charging, this is from Tesla:

Click image for larger version Name:	L123-diagrams-Tesla-v5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	18714
                      Wouldn’t be fast enough with enough range to satisfy me.
                      Thanks for the info.

2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                      79 coupe Silver/oyster
                      All one owner
                      Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post
                        I think it is a interesting move but I still have a problem seeing how they are going to go to that much electrification in the timeframe they are touting. Seems like a ton of infrastructure will have to be added to recharge everything and what are they going to do about long distance travel. Can they recharge in say fifteen minutes or do battery swaps. Lots of questions to me.
                        Exactly my concern (but I will miss the exhaust music of our combustion engines too). Let’s fast forward ten years, it is a hot summer day with everyone having their air conditioners on in their homes, its 6:00 PM when electricity is being used for tons of things, a brown out possibility looms, and all over here comes from work, tons of electric powered cars all being plugged in at roughly the same time period.

Whoops, the “maybe” brown-out just became a black out.
                        Last edited by John; 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Exactly my concern (but I will miss the exhaust music of our combustion engines too). Let’s fast forward ten years, it is a hot summer day with everyone having their air conditioners on in their homes, its 6:00 PM when electricity is being used for tons of things, a brown out possibility looms, and all over here comes from work, tons of electric powere cars all being plugged in at roughly the same time period.

Exactly. I forgot to mention that. Yes the whole electric grid and capacity will need upgrading.

2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                          79 coupe Silver/oyster
                          All one owner
                          Museum lifetime members

Comment

Mitigating, positive GM hiring news.

Originally posted by gmauthority
                            GM Canada: New Hires Coming, But Not At Oshawa Plant
                            General Motors Canada

General Motors Candada president Travis Hester has said the company plans on expanding its business footprint despite its plans to close the
                            Oshawa Assembly plant, CBC reports.

The closure of Oshawa Assembly will impact more than 2,500 workers and will spell the end for a plant that has been up and running since the early 1900s.

But while GM Canada shifts its focus away from manufacturing, its turning its attention toward product and technology development. The company opened its new Canadian Technology Center (CTC) in the Toronto suburb of Markham last year and hired on 450 employees to work there. It plans on hiring another 500 skilled workers by 2020, with many coming out of Canadian universities.

“We see the future very strong here and in Canada for the development side,” Hester said.

The Markham CTC’s main focus is on advanced mobility, connected cars and other innovations pertaining to advanced technologies. It will be supplemented by a new Urban Mobility Campus in Toronto, which will serve as an additional research and development facility. The head office for Maven in Canada, GM’s car sharing service, will also be located on the seven-acre property, along with Cadillac Canada’s offices.

Jobs created by these new tech campuses will be no consolation for the thousands of workers who will be left without a job when Oshawa closes next December. Hester also made it clear that GM won’t be going back on its decision to close the plant. He told the CBC it’s difficult to talk about allocating product to Oshawa after December 2019 “because there isn’t anything to build.”

“I don’t think you could put anything else in Oshawa,” Hester added. “Not without spending incredible amounts of investment, which would make it not viable.”

GM Canada operates two other manufacturing facilities not far from Oshawa in Ingersoll and St. Catharines. The Ingersoll facility builds the Chevrolet Equinox, while the St. Catharines site builds V8 and V6 engines, along with transmissions. Those two sites are “going to be unchanged and continuing for the immediate future,” Hester said.

Stay tuned to GM Authority for more GM Canada news as the Oshawa saga continues.

(source: CBC)[/Quote]

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/...#ixzz5ZJAeRtav

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

I'm always amazed by how little the general public understands about power generation of all types...specifically electricity. We live on our boat, primarily off the grid, for a few months each year. When talking to folks about how we do that, most respond in a way that tells us they're thinking..."not for me, I'm not about to change any of my ways"

So; will we be able to adjust to the new world of transportation and alternative power sources? We shall see???

I would love to see a completely new, highly efficient , electric Corvette. Or better yet...fuel cell. Good incentive to stay healthy awhile longer! Embrace change, as they say, because it's coming regardless.
                              '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                              '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                              '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                              '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                              '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                              '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

'20... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels- 10/1/20😀 GAME CHANGER

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X