• Gordon Murray McLaren t.50 shut up and take my money

Beautiful car....

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/08...-centric-ever/

Click image for larger version

Name:	mclaren t50.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	175202
    Last edited by ABorC; 08-05-2020, 08:12 AM.

The incredibly low weight, 2,148 pounds and its over 600 HP, WOW!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If you have enough money, what are you doing here?

I believe I've read that all planned production is already sold, though.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Another article about the T50.

How Gordon Murray's T50 Embarrasses Every Other Supercar on the Planet

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-on-the-planet

Gordon Murray Automotive (GMA) recently unveiled the T50 supercar and, perhaps not surprisingly for the product of the man who designed the McLaren F1 and numerous winning race cars, it's full of interesting technical details. Jason Fenske at Engineering Explained put together this deep dive, highlighting five elements that distinguish the T50 from other supercars.

The T50 is not a numbers car. Murray calls it the "ultimate analog supercar," and has said the focus was on creating the best driving experience, not breaking top speed or lap records. For example, the 3.9-liter naturally aspirated V-12 "only" develops 653 horsepower and 344 pound-feet of torque, which aren't very impressive numbers for a supercar these days. But the Cosworth-developed engine can rev to 12,100 rpm and is coupled to a 6-speed manual transmission.

That manual transmission is a rarity in modern exotics, most of which have gone to quicker-shifting (but less fun) dual-clutch gearboxes. The T50 transmission also has fairly high gearing for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, which should make burnouts easy, Fenske noted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gordon-murray-automotive-t50_100755204_l.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	185385

A 15.7-inch fan is mounted at the rear of the car as part of an active aero system. The fan is inspired by Murray's Brabham BT46B Formula One car, but it serves a different purpose here. In the Brabham, the fan worked with side skirts to create an area of low air pressure under the car, creating downforce by sucking the car onto the track. In the T50, the fan works with active rear spoilers to reduce drag at high speeds by bleeding off downforce, or increasing downforce under braking. However, the effect is relatively small for such a complex feature, Fenske noted.

The fan may be somewhat of a gimmick, but the T50 embarrasses other supercars when it comes to weight. The T50 weighs just 2,714 pounds—over 1,000 pounds less than a Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1, and Porsche 918 Spyder, Fenske noted. All three cars have more power than the T50, thanks to complex hybrid powertrains, but none can match its weight-to-power ratio of 3.3 pounds per horsepower.

Only 100 buyers will get to experience the brisk acceleration afforded by that weight-to-power ratio, and they won't get their cars for awhile. Production is scheduled to start in January 2022. The car is priced at $3.08 million (at current exchange rates), and each owner will have a fitting session for positioning of the central driver's seat, steering wheel, and pedals. GMA might also develop a track-only version, and a racing version that could potentially compete at Le Mans.

SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Gordon Murray is a genius. He has done tours around his new car with a number of journalists who have put them up on YouTube. Murray is a great salesman, but his thoughts illustrate both a unique viewpoint and a wealth of knowledge, probably unique in world, of both race car and GT car design. Jay Leno's favorite toy is his McLaren F1 which he bought in the 1990's for $1M and is worth over $30M today. Murray designed that car with a calculator, a drafting machine and a mechanical pencil. Analog all the way !!

Murray doesn't even know HOW to use CAD, but he knows the first principles of car design and aerodynamics as well as anyone alive. He and Zora would be kindred spirits. The only guy like him still around today is Jim Hall of Chaparral fame. Murray knew that Hall's Chaparrall 2J "sucker car"
          was ingenious and tried his own version in F1. The result was the BR-46B "fan car" which absolutely dominated the only F1 race it started in and was immediately banned by the FIA before the next race. Like the Chaparrall 2J before it in CanAm, it was just too good !!

Comment

Personally, it does not appeal to me, just my opinion. Pretty sure there are many that do not like the looks of the C8.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbingaman View Post
              . Like the Chaparrall 2J before it in CanAm, it was just too good !!
              The 2J ran a full season in CanAm, and while it was fast, it was very unreliable. I don't think it actually won a race, and there was a legitimate safety concern: If the fan motor failed in a corner, the car suddenly loses all downforce. Other teams weren't happy that it kept shooting rocks at following cars, either.

The Brabham, I believe, wasn't actually banned after the first race. The team decided not to run it at the next race because of fears it violated the rules. The FIA eventually ruled it was legal, but banned it after the fact. At least that's how I remember it.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Comment

Meyerweb, both the 2J and the -46B had the same vulnerability - failure of the fan. Both had a pitot-static pressure gages to show the driver if the car had vacuum under the car at all times. Murray told Lauda to watch the gage and if the needle drifted out of the green zone to back off in the corners. Lauda couldn't keep his eye OFF the gage. Brabham Chief Ecclestone agreed to use the car only once to maintain harmony with the rest of F1 - especially Chapman. Both cars had over 2G's of downforce - they could literally drive upside down on the ceiling of a tunnel. The fans themselves were pretty reliable, but the 2J had other issues. The 2J had failures of its actively controlled Lexan side skirts which moved up and down with the suspension. Murray found later out these were not actually necessary and used a bell-shaped under tray and abradable side curtains.

The stories about rocks, etc. were BS that their competitors used to get the cars DQ. The fans had screens over their inlets, so neither one actually shot any stones at following cars.

Comment

All kinds of detail from the man himself, in conversation with Harry Metcalf. Gordon Murray's bio is pretty interesting as well.

2020 C8 Corvette
                  Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                  2LT, Z51 + MRC
                  Spectra Grey Tridents
                  Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

If you have enough money, what are you doing here?

Comment

I was called out in my Can Am car for throwing rocks out the back in 1970. we had an open flat plane rear panel with no rear fenders. later same design appeared in the Porsche 917. Was ok for them .
                      I was hit in the helmet face shield by a bolt at Laguna Seca between old turn 2 and turn 3. about 135 mph. shield distorted and hit my eye, but did not break. Saw it coming but nothing you can do at that speed. not fun, but went to the thickest face shield possible after that. Rocks on track get thrown by many cars.
                      but nothing like driving a sprint car on dirt. no cry babies there. just flying dirt and rocks.
                      Last edited by Racer86; 10-16-2020, 12:50 PM.
                      3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X