MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide REVISED 2/14: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

Blackwing v8 orphaned as cadillac ct6 prepares to end production to make way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwing v8 orphaned as cadillac ct6 prepares to end production to make way

]Cadillac Has No Current Plans for the Blackwing V-8
    At the reveal of the 2021 Escalade, we spoke to Cadillac president Steve Carlisle about the future of the brand.
    Road and Track
    By Chris Perkins
    Feb 10, 2020

*Full Article at Link[/QUOTE]

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Thanks JB , Interesting spending all that R&D on an engine to shelf it. Possibly there are issues ? I know the Blackwing was in very limited production numbers. Possibly just a test? Who knows. I do know they were very proud of those vehicles, especially at that price point. Hopefully their Electric Vehicle attitude doesn't cut their throat. I felt it was a mistake advertising the New Hummer as an all electric during the superbowl. I would have put money into advertising toward their major market, not the 1-1/2 % market share vehicles.
    Rocket City Florida

Comment

We were looking to replace our XTSvsport with the CT6 Platinum which has the detuned 500 HP Blackwing with AS wheels and tires. With the gas guzzler tax the MSRP comes to over $100,000. I told our sales person we would pay 75 or 80 for it and they declined. They also said they won't have a CT6 with that configuration on their lot. They feel because of the price it would not sell and they would be stuck with it.

So we're gonna keep the XTSvsport for a while as we like it and it runs great.

"Cadillac will instead use the old CTS-V's 6.2-liter supercharged pushrod V-8 for the version slotting above the CT5-V."

IMO if they make the CT5-V configured with summer only usage, it won't be successful as folks (like me) want to be able to drive their car in all seasons.
      Last edited by Boomer; 02-11-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

That is unfortunate. The Blackwing took years to develop. Friend of mine who work for GM powertrain for 43 years, was part of the team that spent in excess of two years working on it, and who knows at what cost. Thanks JB for telling us about it even though it is not what we were hoping.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Maybe they are selling it to Chevy.

Comment

JDN always said he wouldnt share the cadillac engine with another division and cadillac didnt.

the blackwing ends its short run at cadillac and possibly evolves to a corvette powerplant built and assembled in bowling green.

what changes occur will be interesting...

will the corvette twin turbo possibly coming use the hot vee turbocharger placement?

will the corvette team lower the displacement to below 4 liters for a managable flat plane crank?

will corvette engineering rid itself of the turbos and run just a flat plane crank v8?

so,e people believe the eventual displacement v8 in the c8 z06 will ride in at 6,2 liter...

i have no idea but that hot rodded c8 we heard on video last week was awesome.

definitely did not sound like any ohv v8 i ve ever heard.

is it worth 30 grand more to me? No...

zero to sixty in 2.9 seconds seems plenty fast to me...but for those who have to have the absolute best of the best...

the z06 could have an evolution of the blackwing thats for sure.

how much money did cadillac sink into the black wing to produce 500 engines?

oMG The write off was probably more than what cadillac dropped into the bowling green facility expansion and update but surely not more than what it dropped into bowling green and the c8 development..

now cadillac is going to rival the worlds best in EV technology...

the ct6 with supercruize was cool...excellent technology as was the camera rearview mirror....

the exterior was impressive yet I would say the interior was slightly lacking and I want to apologize upfront for that criticism.

As a prior cadillac owner for many hears...my wife had a wonderful ownership experience for many years.

The only stupid thing were the headlight bulb replacement ****ed me off...the labor time was crazy for a light bulb.

other than that my impressions were quite positive.

i still believe gm should have installed oil level monitoring systems on that 3.6 v6...I always check the oil on my cars once every month or two...regular consumers never do and they ran that 3.6 between oil changes never checking the oil oevel...consumers thought that the oil monitoring system for miles between oil changes relieved them of having to physically checking the oil level on the disptick...

consumers just ran the engines dry in camaros, cuvs, sedans across the lineup and the interweb made it sound like it was a defect of the engine...it wasnt...people just didnt follow common sense..

also the little v6 dohc was so sensitive to different oil flow properties that if you didnt use a gm oil filter it caused the oil flow to alter slightly enough to set off the variable valve sensors that the timing chain was off kilter..

it was the cheaper non oem oil filters..

other than that..lthe little v6 was a great motor.

i always thought a v8 ls3 in the cts sport with all wheel drive would have been a great combo..

the ls3 cost less to build than the natirally aspirated dohc v6...

if Im paying the same amount Id rather have the 430 hp 420 tq rating...

well,that era is coming to an end as cadillac begins its last and final hurrah as EV leadership role at GM...

the lack of service requirements ill be a shocker to cadillac dealer service income as as much as 17 percent net profit comes from service.

Comment

hope Cadillac has a secret: A 5 minute electric battery charger. Full charge in 8 minutes.

Otherwise 100% electric commitment is suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                Thanks JB , Interesting spending all that R&D on an engine to shelf it. Possibly there are issues ? I know the Blackwing was in very limited production numbers. Possibly just a test? Who knows. I do know they were very proud of those vehicles, especially at that price point. Hopefully their Electric Vehicle attitude doesn't cut their throat. I felt it was a mistake advertising the New Hummer as an all electric during the superbowl. I would have put money into advertising toward their major market, not the 1-1/2 % market share vehicles.
                GMC owns Hummer not Cadillac.

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
                hope Cadillac has a secret: A 5 minute electric battery charger. Full charge in 8 minutes.

Otherwise 100% electric commitment is suicide.
                GM announced two years ago that they will be going 100% electric and ditch gas/diesel powered cars. By 2023 they will have at least 20 cars to offer in all electric and will ramp up from there.

Comment

They must have a secret. As cautious as Big Ship GM is. 2 minute charge.

Comment

I think for the first time ever ev sales in america outsold manual transmission.

its a bold risky move by GM and I applaud their guts to roll out 20 new ev models by 2022.

if for nothing else their stock price should jump.

god knows the ford mustang mach E did nothing for fords stock price.

the ev market is not showing any life in the USA other than tesla so far...

i believe the upcoming new construction techniques being developed by GM (central backbone utilizing battery pack like bedford plates) and tesla (exoskeleton for the cybertruck) are even more innovative than the ev powerplants ...

im guessing on the ev chassis development forGMs electrics but if it proves true the versatility of each production facility could prove extremely profitable....with the ability to increase production plant efficiency very close to 100 percent versus often found 80 percent ..

just my imagination at this point yet corvette often pays its cost to develop through its ability to test and research larger volume truck and cuv production techniques.

ie hydro formed steel frame rails of the c5 in concept form gave gm full size trucks a leg up on the competition.

the evolution of the central backbone bedford plate chassis could evolve to some degree in all of GM s ev lineup..

rumor is suppliers would be a greater function of ev production as well and the UAw fought hard during the strike to protect their workers.

Comment

Blackwing’s reported death, may not be true. Thanks GM Authority for this story, for more and an additional picture, please go to their link. Thank you also “Cadillac Society.”

Originally posted by gmauthority
                      Cadillac Blackwing V8 Has Future Beyond Cadillac CT6

BY JONATHAN LOPEZ: FEB 11, 2020

The Cadillac CT6 is currently the only model to utilize the venerable twin-turbo 4.2L LTA V8, known more popularly as the Cadillac Blackwing V8. Unfortunately, North American production of the Cadillac CT6 is slated to end in just a few days, raising doubts over the future of this impressive powerplant. However, Cadillac President Steve Carlisle recently dropped a hint to our sister publication, Cadillac Society, about the Blackwing’s future, providing a glimmer of hope the motor won’t bite the bullet after all.

Cadillac Society spoke with Carlisle at the recent debut event for the 2021 Cadillac Escalade in Beverly Hills, and asked the executive directly what was in store for the Cadillac Blackwing V8. “We don’t have a plan for the [Blackwing] engine at the moment,” Carlisle told Cadillac Society. “But we were very encouraged by the reactions to the Blackwing, so there will be a little bit of Blackwing still. We’re not done rolling out our performance sedans, so stay tuned on that.”

The Cadillac Blackwing V8 has a wild and wooly ride right out of the gates. Allegedly developed specifically for Cadillac as the brand’s first DOHC engine since the Northstar, it was originally believed that the ‘eight was headed to the next-level, go-faster variant of the Cadillac CT5-V. However, despite adoption of the Blackwing name, the go-faster CT5-V is now believed to come with the same supercharged 6.2L LT4 V8 as the Cadillac CTS-V.

What’s more, the go-faster Cadillac CT4-V, which will also adopt the Blackwing name, is expected to mount the same twin-turbocharged 3.6L LF4 V6 as the Cadillac ATS-V.
                      Vehicle ATS-V CTS-V CT6-V
                      Horsepower 464 640 550
                      Torque 445 630 640
                      Throw in the discontinuation of the Cadillac CT6 here in North America, and the fate of the Cadillac Blackwing V8 is still up in the air. Nevertheless, it sounds like Cadillac won’t simply chuck this impressive piece of engineering into the trash. Rather, it’s possible the LTA may see use in some future special edition model, but that’s little more than speculation at this point.

This post was created in collaboration with our sister publication, Cadillac Society.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/02...-cadillac-ct6/

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Those getting a cadillac with the LT4 instead of the blackwing are in my opinion better off.

i also believe a naturally aspirated lt2 would be a better choice than the tt v6...

consumers want performance and although displacement taxation created in europe to block american products for decades...i prefer lightweight simple ohv performance products. They offer amazing performance, cost less, are lighter, smaller in physical size and more durable over time.

IMHO

taken to the Nth degree Im sure dohc engines can breathe a little better but at relatively normal pricing...ohv gm engines are the best.

6700 rpm redline with tons of hp and tq have proven themselves in the c8 stingray..

im sure the dohc higher performance c8s with dohc engines yet we must consider at what price...

i look forward to the higher hp and tq v8 models in the c8 lineup...but if I could save ten grand on a 650 hp twin turbo ohv v8 over a 650 hp dohc v8...as a consumer Id opt for the ohv twin turbo...but thats just me...and what do I kniw..

im thrilled to be owning a c8 z51 that rips to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds...

im good...

for those buying c8 z06 s ...its going to be awesome beyond belief.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X