MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

2 GM'ers arrested for street racing C8s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickg747 View Post

The article said this, first thing

GM :

“We are aware of an incident involving our test vehicles and are currently investigating,”

“Safety remains our overriding priority at General Motors. We have no further comment at this time.”

I believe from a Corporate standpoint, this is all that needs to be said. Lawyers will make sure they are fired for a Liability reason, and people who work there will know just how swift they lost their jobs.
    These two are already gone I'm sure. GM will maintan a "no comment on HR matters". It will come out when they get to court.
    2020 C8 Corvette ....... TPW 2/03/20..........still!!
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC
    Spectra Grey Tridents
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car!

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
      It will come out when they get to court.
      OH yea. Leave without pay till court decision at which time termination occurs. Feel free to resign at any time.

Glad to see you came my way some Bikerjulio.

Comment

Originally posted by rickg747 View Post

The article said this, first thing

GM :

“We are aware of an incident involving our test vehicles and are currently investigating,”

“Safety remains our overriding priority at General Motors. We have no further comment at this time.”

I believe from a Corporate standpoint, this is all that needs to be said. Lawyers will make sure they are fired for a Liability reason, and people who work there will know just how swift they lost their jobs.
        The GM response was a generic cookie cutter lawyer speaking and not really dealing with the issues
        2 of them in the dark running high speeds drag race, one was racing by using the wrong side of the road and all 3 left a bar
        at the least required a stronger response from GM since the state troopers had this on video tape and radar guns

What we do know as at least 2 of the 3 are temp workers
        We know most of those temps came from other GM plants that shut down and were not paid during the strike
        They also were the ones at BGP to vote NO to end the strike
        We know as common not being happy that those temps would be more apt to pull sneaky ****

Considering how long this release of C8s is dragging on this negative press is not going to help prevent customers cancelling their C8 order
        in thinking temps can cause odd build issues and ball busting new C8s

Due to all this GM better come out and make it clear the C8s leaving BGP will be to high Q/A standards and not have been hammered like those 2 morons did
        as GM demanding customers cruise their C8s for 500 miles when GM's own personal are beating the **** out of customers C8s.

We know they got caught once, we do not know how many others or C8s are getting hammered on

I sure hope customers look at their C8s before leaving a dealer for high quality and no add things happening to their C8s.

This is not just about 2 guys racing, but GM'ers customers are trusting to build their $60-90K Corvettes with quality and respect of customers property

On another note wonder if the PDRs was functional and GM saw the numbers :-)
        Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
        1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post

The GM response was a generic cookie cutter lawyer speaking and not really dealing with the issues
          2 of them in the dark running high speeds drag race, one was racing by using the wrong side of the road and all 3 left a bar
          at the least required a stronger response from GM since the state troopers had this on video tape and radar guns

What we do know as at least 2 of the 3 are temp workers
          We know most of those temps came from other GM plants that shut down and were not paid during the strike
          They also were the ones at BGP to vote NO to end the strike
          We know as common not being happy that those temps would be more apt to pull sneaky ****

Considering how long this release of C8s is dragging on this negative press is not going to help prevent customers cancelling their C8 order
          in thinking temps can cause odd build issues and ball busting new C8s
          You are confusing things.

These were staff engineers temporarily in BG from other plants. They were not "temps"

They are not union and are not line workers.

Salaried staff would have received pay during the strike. Strike is irrelvant.
          Last edited by Bikerjulio; 01-13-2020, 06:52 PM.
          2LT, Z51 + MRC
          Spectra Grey Tridents

Comment

These were staff engineers temporarily in BG from other plants. They were not "temps"

Agree with the response that you addressed --- made my head hurt!!!

Comment

Sound like temps to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Sound like temps to me.
                There is a difference between a full time staff member being temporarily being assigned to BG, and being a "temp".

Forum etiquette prevents me from saying anything further, but the T word comes to mind. But I'm sure even the dullest mind can understand the difference.
                2LT, Z51 + MRC
                Spectra Grey Tridents

Comment

Business travel
                  TPW 2-Mar

Comment

They are temp workers brought in from other plants that were shutdown or downsized
                    They are not temps meaning added workers gotten from the union

As reported both gave addresses not from BG and are on salary

It has been reported before that those coming from those other GM plants would be temps until full production starts and then GM decides how many of the temps stay on and no when strike was on GM stated anyone coming in right before the strike were not part of GM at that time or union and were not paid until they started work after the strike ended

Makes no difference, they were temps, they told that to cops and I suspect they are not happy to having to move to BG as was reported during the strike
                    as temps complaining they were not getting any pay and for payback voted NO in ending the strike.

It shows their mindset in not one but 3 decide to take 3 C8s and go hammer them on public roads.

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) --
                    UPDATE: The Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant released the following statement:
                    “We are aware of an incident involving our test vehicles and are currently investigating. Safety remains our overriding priority at General Motors. We have no further comment at this time.”

The UAW says the two men were not union members and were salaried engineers.

Kentucky State Police say two General Motors employees were arrested after driving new 2020 Corvette Stingrays Wednesday after racing on Lovers Lane in Bowling Green.

27-year-old Alexander Thim, of West Bloomfield, Mich., and 30-year-old Mark Derkatz, of Windsor, Ontario, were stopped by Kentucky State Police and arrested on charges of racing a motor vehicle on a public highway, reckless driving and speeding 26 mph over the speed limit or greater.

Also reported
                    Thim and Derkatz were arraigned Thursday in Warren District Court and are scheduled to return to court Feb. 18 for a pretrial conference.

The fact there is to be a pretrial says more then just a speeding ticket going on with these 2
                    Last edited by Teamzr1; 01-13-2020, 10:58 PM.
                    Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                    1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post

But it also doesn't have sidewalks and not through a residential neighbourhood either.
                      https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...!4d-86.4086885
                      It has a lot of driveways and side roads, though, which makes going 120 mph extremely dangerous, fatally dangerous. Yes, we've all done stupid things, but this really is a notch above. I could see 60, 65, even a burst to 70, but 100 or 120? You are asking to kill someone.

Comment

Like all, I am very disappointed that this happened.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

You are correct these are not "Temporary Employees" they are salaried employed by General Motors deployed to BG who BTW do not vote on the UAW contract or have anything to do with it. TeamZR1 is evidently confused. No matter they are Terminated Employees now who are going to face some pretty stiff fines and possible jail time for this stunt as they should.

Comment

A few thoughts:

It was missed in some posts but the speeding becomes an arrestable offense above 26 MPH over the posted speed limit. In some states they may also be charged with driving to endanger and racing. Also, it was reported that one of them was on the wrong side of the road and that could be an additional charge.

GM will probably assign someone, or hire an outside firm, to do a thorough inquiry about the incident. This could include interviewing the non cited driver of the third C8, interviewing the Trooper, interviewing anyone who saw them at the bar, and obtaining a copy of their bar bill to determine how much alcohol was consumed. They will probably also obtain any information available from the car itself. Then managers, a staff attorney, and HR will meet to determine the employment status of the two engineers. Without all the publicity this might have been swept under the rug. With the extensive publicity it will be very difficult to keep them.

I highly doubt these were anything but test cars. In the pre-production phase they have put many C8's out there in the hands of employees, including engineers and designers, to wring out any possible issues that need to be changed. With all of the new technology involved in these cars you have to assume that they have spent the last year tweaking it to get the final version as close to perfect as possible.. (With a C8 on order I hope they got it right!)

Comment

If production of consumer cars isn't scheduled to begin until early February these would have to be CTF cars wouldn't they? Whether they were temp hourly workers or temporarily assigned salaried workers alcohol + excessive speed + reckless endangerment + bad publicity for GM means these guys are fired. I don't think we have to worry about them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Leadfoot View Post
                                Also, it was reported that one of them was on the wrong side of the road and that could be an additional charge.
                                Just to nitpick a bit here. The lines on the road are "guide lines" You can pass on any road. The lines are there to tell you if it's safe or not. It's more that the 2 cars were racing side by side. Not really that one was on the left of the road. There are many reasons one might drive on the other side if it's safe to do so. Potholes, a cat on the road, debris etc...
                                Just sayin ... Anyway, I only know Canadian laws, but that's how it works here.
                                Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                                Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X