TCM P06D3 code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCM P06D3 code

Had this code pop up six months ago, but only after a hard acceleration. The engine would seem to stall for a second but then would take off like a scalded dog. The local Chevrolet Corvette technician troubleshot and could not find a smoking gun. He said a transmission module was loosing voltage and he felt it was a connector issue. He removed and reseated all associated connectors and the problem went away. Fast forward to last week, just cruising down the interstate, the engine exhibited the same brief stall and the transmission shifted from 8th gear to 7th and stayed there for a minute or two. I could use the paddle shifter to down shift to 6th and then to 7th, but no higher. Brought it back in today to see what is going on. I'll post updates as they come in.
    I would appreciate any comments of anyone who experienced this phenomenon to I can pass on to the Corvette tech.

We are sorry you are having a return issue. Thanks mjurey for letting us know how this works out. Hopefully that will be very quickly, easily and this time permanently.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Intermittents are the worst problems to diagnose and can be an absolute nightmare for the technicians, customer and the dealer.
      It malfunctioned once for likely only a split second over a period of 6 months.
      Finding a needle in a haystack sounds like pretty good odds compared to that.

If he narrowed it down to lack of voltage, hopefully he traced down the +12 volts all the way back to the source (battery and/or alternator), checking all the connections along the way.
      That is only half the circuit.
      Now do the same with the -12 volts all the way back to it's source (battery and alternator), checking all those connections along the way.
      Many times I have found poor grounds on the case grounds or the frame or block where the connections are not sealed (you need grease on these to seal them) and even worse, sometimes those ground connectors are bolted to a painted surface on the frame or block.
      Get a little water in those bare connections and corrosion slowly starts to develop, sometimes eventually getting enough resistance to cause a problem.
      That shows up in the diagnostic process as less that 13 volts at the end user (the TCM in this case).
      But you still don't know if the loss is in the ground side or the power side if your test leads are on the +12V and -12V right at the TCM connector.
      Poor ground side will show up as a small voltage at the connector terminal, perhaps 3V, giving the TCM only 13-3=10V to operate.
      If is an intermittent ground problem, all those connection points need to be inspected and wiggled, as unobtrusively as possible, while monitoring back-probed across the -12V right at the TCM connector terminals and the other meter lead on the negative battery post (not just the battery clamp).

Even with this thorough of diagnostics, maybe the glitch only occurs under a very specific load (aka current flow) going through a certain circuit in the TCM at that specific time.

If the stored code showed low voltage, that voltage loss could also be inside the TCM, but GM wants you to check all the external parts of the circuits before you are allowed to order a new TCM.

Not trying to scare you, just giving some insight into intermittent electrical and electronic problems.
      TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
      Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

I took about a 90 minute trip before I brought it in and it probably happened about 10 times so I don't think Intermittent is going to be a problem. The Chevrolet service rep texted yesterday and said I have a bad transmission solenoid. I am pretty sure it would be internal to the transmission. The rep said they had a case open with the GM engineers about the code, so I feel its a waiting game right now. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Good news, I hope it is an easy find for them and you.
          TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
          Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

I had the same issue with my 2020 coup. I tried the (M) button and used the paddle shift but it not a fix.

Comment

Update on the transmission code - now they are saying GM said to replace the TCM. I went and picked the car up end of week and will keep it until the part comes in. I talked to the mechanic and he indicated it would take about a day to replace and calibrate. More to come.

Comment

Sorry mjurey you are still without your car. Good they have a specific repair plan in place. Let’s hope you are motoring in the next few days!
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Post update: my Chevy dealer replaced the TCM. I just took at 1k mile trip (Corvette Invasion in Bastrop, Tx.) and the car did fine. Here's hoping.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X