MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Special Tadge Juechter On Corvette Today Podcast Now

Steve Garrett has the honor of talking to Corvette's Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter on CORVETTE TODAY!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...60a01_h0PwqXjw

Tadge talks about how he started working at GM, what his first job was for the company, his path to success and how he attained his current position. Then Steve and Tadge trace his time with the C4, C5 and C6.  You'll learn how the C7 almost became the mid-engine Corvette!  Tadge talks about how the true mid-engine car we know today was being developed while the C7 was coming to market! Next Tadge takes a deep dive into the development and product launch of the current C8 Corvette. He talks about how the Corvette team attained the buy-in for GM executives to build the car, the research and architecture of the C8 and the future of this mid-engine marvel.

Tell your friends, stop what you're doing right now and check out this outstanding episode of CORVETTE TODAY with Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett (listen to all CORVETTE TODAY podcasts)

CorvetteToday.ck.page (sign up for email updates here)
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Potential Valve Spring Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busa Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by VA_Bill View Post
    Since my C8 was built during the period with potential valve spring issues, I have been watching this topic closely. I saw this article this morning from Corvette Action Center:

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...2020-corvette/

The article describes a service update suggesting dealers perform a detailed inspection procedure on any vehicles in their inventory that were produced during the affected period. What's interesting to me is it also says the procedure does not need to be performed on any dealer courtesy or demo vehicle with 500 miles or more. Although I recall seeing some posts documenting valve spring failures on C8s with more than 500 miles, this article makes me feel better suggesting that if I have more that 500 miles it is less likely I will have a failure. I currently have about 800 miles on my C8.

If anyone has access to the full text of GM Service Update #N202319660, I would love to see it.
    I was at my dealer one of the largest in the country, my SA did not know how many of the valve spring vehicles they have had but did tell me they had replaced a couple of C8 motors. Do not know if they were as a result of the valve spring issue or something else. On a positive did tell me he was not aware of any DCT issues/repairs so far....

Leave a comment:

• VA_Bill
    replied
    Since my C8 was built during the period with potential valve spring issues, I have been watching this topic closely. I saw this article this morning from Corvette Action Center:

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...2020-corvette/

The article describes a service update suggesting dealers perform a detailed inspection procedure on any vehicles in their inventory that were produced during the affected period. What's interesting to me is it also says the procedure does not need to be performed on any dealer courtesy or demo vehicle with 500 miles or more. Although I recall seeing some posts documenting valve spring failures on C8s with more than 500 miles, this article makes me feel better suggesting that if I have more that 500 miles it is less likely I will have a failure. I currently have about 800 miles on my C8.

If anyone has access to the full text of GM Service Update #N202319660, I would love to see it.
    Last edited by VA_Bill; 11-21-2020, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    You can see that the valve is definitely lower than all the rest but good to see the keepers stayed in.
    Hopefully the piston didn't kiss the valve and hopefully there is no internal damage.
    If it passes the post-repair cylinder leak test, GM says you are good to go.

Leave a comment:

• improviz
    replied
    Originally posted by Cm2020 View Post
    Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half.
    Wow! Looks like it didn't fragment, so hopefully it didn't cause any engine damage!!

Leave a comment:

• First Vette
    replied
    Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half.
    That's interesting. Thank you for sharing the picture. Hope they have you up and running soon.

Leave a comment:

• Cm2020
    replied
    Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_121025.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	207229 Click image for larger version

Views:	200
ID:	207230 Click image for larger version

Views:	200
ID:	207231

Leave a comment:

• MGfoursixeight
    replied
    Usually, 11 digits of the 17 digit VIN number is stamped or laser etched at the LH side of the bell housing area on the block. There is a diagram in service information that shows the location. Not sure if it's OK to post it here though, due to copy write laws.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

Is the VIN number even on the engine anymore? It doesn’t appear to be on the engine stickers that have been posted.
    My understanding is that there is a label attached to the engine during assembly at BGA that contains the car's VIN. But the engine isn't stamped with the VIN like they used to be.

Leave a comment:

• 16falcon
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasME View Post
    So if an engine is replaced due to a broken valve spring (or any engine replacement), will the car still have matching VIN numbers after replacement?
    Is the VIN number even on the engine anymore? It doesn’t appear to be on the engine stickers that have been posted.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Sorry but not any more. IMO on a modern day Corvette it means nothing. Now if we are talking about a C2 or a rare other one matching numbers will mean money to most. buyers.

Leave a comment:

• TexasME
    replied
    So if an engine is replaced due to a broken valve spring (or any engine replacement), will the car still have matching VIN numbers after replacement?

Leave a comment:

• ELBc8adr
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Hard to give you a precise answer but I believe that they are making engines about two weeks before they are going into C8’s at this time.
    My C8 coupe vin 3181 was built on June 4 ,but the engine was assembled day 063 which is March 3 in anticipation of my 3/16 TPW . Kinda hoping it was with the old reliable valve springs . I now have 2745 miles

Leave a comment:

• ssr Mike
    replied
    Received my C8 on 10/22/2020 my Vin is 11800 range as I have been searching internet all day right after when my 2020 died at a stop light after sputtering half a block away from the stop light.

It was like I had a fuel problem. I said a few freakout words, restarted the car, check engine light came on, car sputtering and noise beyond any description I can provide.
    I was 2 miles away from dealership so I limped it to the dealer. With 222 miles on the car the highest rpm I had until today was changing lanes when I got up to 3700rpm. Limping to dealer kept hanging up on 3rd to 4th gear and bouncing up to 4200rpm.
    Tech at dealer knew exactly what happened when he hit the start and told me broken valve spring.

Since January when I put my order in I have searched 2020s from day one. I can never remember seeing this problem on any pages until I searched 2020 corvette broken valve spring on google.
    Sorry about your spring.Picked up my car 10/29 ,driving daily and at 200 miles today no problem yet.Creeping me out wondering if it will happen to mine.

Leave a comment:

• Unclestu
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your broken spring. If possible, I'd like to a see a photo of the broken spring. My car was made 7/8/20, in the range.

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied
    Ditto, what Neil said. Welcome; and you'll find lots of information on this forum. You should get 16 new valve springs and a leak-down check plus scoping the cylinder with the problem. Hopefully it all checks out and you'll soon be back up and running well.

Sorry you had the problem...I did as well.
    Last edited by George; 11-05-2020, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X