MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today With Keith Cornett: Latest Corvette News

Even though we're into the holiday season, there's still a lot of Corvette news! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-en2b43 Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com fill you in on what's going on.  Here are a few of the headlines discussed in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY:
1.  First pictures of the new right-hand-drive C8 Corvette headed to Japan
2. Lawsuit with GM about cracked Corvette Grand Sport wheels has been dismissed
3. C8 Corvette named to Car & Driver’s annual “10 Best” list for 2nd year in a row.
4. 2020 C8 Corvette goes on sale in the Middle East
5. Final production stats for the 2020 C8 announced
6. Nick Tandy to replace Oliver Gavin on Corvette Racing Team
7. Chevrolet celebrates IMSA championships with new commercial
8. The ’63 Split Window makes Hagerty’s list of coupes worth more than their convertible siblings
9. Procharger teases of a supercharged C8 Corvette
10. OnStar thwarts the theft of a 2020 C8 Corvette
Happy Holidays!
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Potential Valve Spring Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry but not any more. IMO on a modern day Corvette it means nothing. Now if we are talking about a C2 or a rare other one matching numbers will mean money to most. buyers.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexasME View Post
      So if an engine is replaced due to a broken valve spring (or any engine replacement), will the car still have matching VIN numbers after replacement?
      Is the VIN number even on the engine anymore? It doesn’t appear to be on the engine stickers that have been posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

Is the VIN number even on the engine anymore? It doesn’t appear to be on the engine stickers that have been posted.
        My understanding is that there is a label attached to the engine during assembly at BGA that contains the car's VIN. But the engine isn't stamped with the VIN like they used to be.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• Usually, 11 digits of the 17 digit VIN number is stamped or laser etched at the LH side of the bell housing area on the block. There is a diagram in service information that shows the location. Not sure if it's OK to post it here though, due to copy write laws.

Comment

• Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_121025.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	207229 Click image for larger version

Views:	286
ID:	207230 Click image for larger version

Views:	290
ID:	207231

Comment

• Originally posted by Cm2020 View Post
              Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half.
              That's interesting. Thank you for sharing the picture. Hope they have you up and running soon.
              2021 Red Mist Tintcoat, convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by Cm2020 View Post
                Today after the dealer got the repair springs (16) opened it up. See attached as they are working on it. Broke right in half.
                Wow! Looks like it didn't fragment, so hopefully it didn't cause any engine damage!!

Comment

• You can see that the valve is definitely lower than all the rest but good to see the keepers stayed in.
                  Hopefully the piston didn't kiss the valve and hopefully there is no internal damage.
                  If it passes the post-repair cylinder leak test, GM says you are good to go.
                  TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                  Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

• Since my C8 was built during the period with potential valve spring issues, I have been watching this topic closely. I saw this article this morning from Corvette Action Center:

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...2020-corvette/

The article describes a service update suggesting dealers perform a detailed inspection procedure on any vehicles in their inventory that were produced during the affected period. What's interesting to me is it also says the procedure does not need to be performed on any dealer courtesy or demo vehicle with 500 miles or more. Although I recall seeing some posts documenting valve spring failures on C8s with more than 500 miles, this article makes me feel better suggesting that if I have more that 500 miles it is less likely I will have a failure. I currently have about 800 miles on my C8.

If anyone has access to the full text of GM Service Update #N202319660, I would love to see it.
                    Last edited by VA_Bill; 11-21-2020, 10:29 AM.
                    Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior, Splash Guards

Comment

• Originally posted by VA_Bill View Post
                      Since my C8 was built during the period with potential valve spring issues, I have been watching this topic closely. I saw this article this morning from Corvette Action Center:

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...2020-corvette/

The article describes a service update suggesting dealers perform a detailed inspection procedure on any vehicles in their inventory that were produced during the affected period. What's interesting to me is it also says the procedure does not need to be performed on any dealer courtesy or demo vehicle with 500 miles or more. Although I recall seeing some posts documenting valve spring failures on C8s with more than 500 miles, this article makes me feel better suggesting that if I have more that 500 miles it is less likely I will have a failure. I currently have about 800 miles on my C8.

If anyone has access to the full text of GM Service Update #N202319660, I would love to see it.
                      I was at my dealer one of the largest in the country, my SA did not know how many of the valve spring vehicles they have had but did tell me they had replaced a couple of C8 motors. Do not know if they were as a result of the valve spring issue or something else. On a positive did tell me he was not aware of any DCT issues/repairs so far....

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	94973F4E-7FF4-4B41-BB8C-BEA6110F0314.png
Views:	128
Size:	7.44 MB
ID:	211540
                        This is my first post and sadly it's not a positive one. I'm the owner of a 2020 Zeus Bronze 2LT coupe and on 10/30/20, I feel victim to a broken valve spring. It was so badly damaged that it also caused damage to the valve rod. The car was towed to Bomnin Chevrolet in Miami, where it has been there for nearly a month. The latest update that I received was that the heads were replaced aping with all 16 valve springs. The car is currently being taken apart because an emissions error keeps popping up. No phone calls, no emails, I have to literally go to the dealership to get updates and I'm so frustrated. My car was produced built on 9/25/20 and at the time of this incident it had 1370 miles on the dash.

Comment

• We are sorry that you are not experiencing excellent and timely repair service after your first blow, your broken value springs. I regret that you are probably going to have to keep returning to the dealership to get any attention being paid to your car’s repair. That is very unfortunate. We hope your car gets expedited so you can get back on the road real soon.
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatsjustjam View Post
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	94973F4E-7FF4-4B41-BB8C-BEA6110F0314.png
Views:	128
Size:	7.44 MB
ID:	211540
                            This is my first post and sadly it's not a positive one. I'm the owner of a 2020 Zeus Bronze 2LT coupe and on 10/30/20, I feel victim to a broken valve spring. It was so badly damaged that it also caused damage to the valve rod. The car was towed to Bomnin Chevrolet in Miami, where it has been there for nearly a month. The latest update that I received was that the heads were replaced aping with all 16 valve springs. The car is currently being taken apart because an emissions error keeps popping up. No phone calls, no emails, I have to literally go to the dealership to get updates and I'm so frustrated. My car was produced built on 9/25/20 and at the time of this incident it had 1370 miles on the dash.
                            Welcome to the Forum. Very sorry you have the dreaded valve spring issue. Especially for it being there almost a month. Totally unacceptable! Especially for just replacing push rods and valve springs. However there may be cylinder damage as well if it took out the push rods. They could have easily replaced the heads. Hopefully they will get you back on the road soon. Please let us know exactly what the outcome will be.
                            Rocket City Florida

Comment

• I wish to welcome you to the forum. Ironically, my Zeus C8 was built on 9/25 and I also had a valve spring break! Luckily mine did no further damage and was repaired by my very customer oriented dealer in one week. The good news is the car has been wonderful ever since.

I second Frenzy36's request for you to update us on the outcome. You'll find our forum to be the best source available for all things C8.
                              '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                              '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                              '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                              '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                              '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                              '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                              '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

• So do we have a reliable mileage that when you exceed it your safe?
                                Thatsjustjam yours is the highest mileage I’ve heard about (1370).
                                I’m at 1932 now (thought I was safe) and considering a 2200 mi road trip 🤐

#4997 built July 13 2020
                                Last edited by V1 VR; 11-26-2020, 10:47 AM.
                                2020 Stingray Triple Blue Coupe “Cindyblue”
                                6000: status : R8C on August 5,2020 @10:00 🥳🍾
                                2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; EYK Chrome Exterior Badge package; R8C
                                2014 Stingray Laguna Blue : SOLD

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X