MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Keith Cornett/“CorvetteBlogger”

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com combine once again to bring you the latest news and headlines in the world of Corvette!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...er-2020-el5mlj Some of the topics you'll hear about are:
1.  GM delivers 6,355 C8 Corvettes in the 3rd Quarter
2.  Callaway offers a 25th Anniversary Special Edition for C7 Z06
3.  2020 C8 Corvette named Car Of The Year by Popular Mechanics
4.  Chevrolet announces that C8 production extended thru the end of the year. 2021 production starts in December.
5.  EV Hybrid may replace the Grand Sport in the C8 lineup
6.  2022 C8 Z06 spied at Grattan Raceway with rear wing and newly exposed wheels
7.  Corvette Racing using 3D printed parts
8.  What the reveal of the C8 lineup tells us about the future of Corvette
9.  Guess what Batman’s daily driver is!
Be sure to check out this edition of CORVETTE TODAY!
See more
See less

Potential Valve Spring Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George View Post

Your page is not accepting PMs?
    Sorry fixed that.

Comment

I have heard of three C8 corvette in the St.Louis area that have broken valve springs. One destroyed the engine ,the other two just needed new valve springs .

Comment

Sad but one of our MECF members picked up their new C8 at the Museum today, and seven miles later it had broken valve springs and sits at Campbell Chev in Bowling Green. They are close friends of ours and we’re heading home to Oregon. When they met with the Service Manager a couple of hours later he noted that this was their 5th LT2with broken valve springs, that their dealership had the dubious distinction of having more individually than every other dealership, and pointing to one parked in another bay, said it’s valve springs had destroyed the motor and they were awaiting a brand new replacement LT2.

Our friends remain in a fairly positive mood, noting that they loved its workmanship, greatly enjoyed their first seven miles, and we looking forward to driving it home on Tuesday. Do they get the “most positive attitude in spite of massive xxxx award!”
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Ugh....sorry to hear, I hope they get it resolved quickly!

Comment

WOW - I don't even know what to say, that makes me feel sick. Seven miles! At least after it's fixed they shouldn't have to worry about that issue any longer.
            That makes me want to start tearing my C8 apart and putting roller rockers and high performance springs in. Shouldn't they have scrapped all the springs from that manufacturer?
            Why are they still showing up ?
            Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
              WOW - I don't even know what to say, that makes me feel sick. Seven miles! At least after it's fixed they shouldn't have to worry about that issue any longer.
              That makes me want to start tearing my C8 apart and putting roller rockers and high performance springs in. Shouldn't they have scrapped all the springs from that manufacturer?
              Why are they still showing up ?
              I would have done this already! You know GM will not be stepping up--they never have and never will it is all about $$$$'s.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Sad but one of our MECF members picked up their new C8 at the Museum today, and seven miles later it had broken valve springs and sits at Campbell Chev in Bowling Green. They are close friends of ours and we’re heading home to Oregon. When they met with the Service Manager a couple of hours later he noted that this was their 5th LT2with broken valve springs, that their dealership had the dubious distinction of having more individually than every other dealership, and pointing to one parked in another bay, said it’s valve springs had destroyed the motor and they were awaiting a brand new replacement LT2.
                If they just picked their car up yesterday, it seems likely to me that this car was built outside of the date range GM first specified. Makes it seem this is potentially a much more widespread issue than announced.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I feel sorry for those people, but they should never had been put in that predicament. I hope GM is paying for the hotel, meals etc. Don't think trip insurance was an option on the C8. Glad they are looking at the bright side. I know I would have gone berserk.
                  Zeus Bronze HTC, 3LT, Natural Dipped, Q8T Spectra Gray Trident Wheels, NPP Performance Exhaust, ZYC Carbon Flash Exterior Mirrors, DRG Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, E60 Adjustable Front Lift, D84 Carbon Flash Convertible Top and Nacelles, and R8C Museum Delivery

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

If they just picked their car up yesterday, it seems likely to me that this car was built outside of the date range GM first specified. Makes it seem this is potentially a much more widespread issue than announced.
                    It was built within the range, on Sept. 9th. Business interests precluded their getting it earlier. However as we know, we have seen a member’s one build on Sept. 18th.

Still so sad for them to have their dream (their first Corvette) end so poorly.

John
                    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Is there any data on highest mileage car that’s had an issue? Ours was built in this “window” and we’re at 320 miles. So far so good.
                      Blade Silver, Z51 black/red two tone seats, 3LT, red seat belts, Black trident wheels, red engine cover, front lift, lighted sill plates, 3000 March 2020; 3300 TPW August 17th as of July 31st. Born August 13th, 2020. As of August 27th it’s at the dealership!😁 Now for the LPO’s...Delivered September 8th 2020👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Comment

The highest I have seen that we know was valve spring caused was less mileage than yours — to my knowledge. We have seen a couple of motors totally go south at higher mileage the causes of them has not yet been shared. At the same time in comparison to when the C7 first came, out the number of motors that have head failures for the LT2 is probably on the order of one LT2 compared to 10 for the C7 LT1.

We do not yet know the magnitude of the LT2 valve spring problem. For those new to this discussion, the valve spring problem is a GM problem covering nine different motors .

Comment

Originally posted by AllIn767 View Post
                          Is there any data on highest mileage car that’s had an issue? Ours was built in this “window” and we’re at 320 miles. So far so good.
                          This user: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...700#post198700

had more than 900 miles on his when a spring broke.
                          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Thanks meyerweb for that correction .

Comment

I have 2 vehicles within the time frame. My C8 has 630 mi (so far knock on wood) and my 2020 Silverado 5.3L L84 has 490. Driving isn't as much fun as it use to be. Maybe if I make it to a couple of thousand miles, Ill have more confidence. My previous experience with broken valve springs occurred at high RPM's.
                              New C8: 3LT, GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

Comment

This is a sad times for C8 owners whose C8’s could be effected. It is also sad times for the Corvette team for they created a phenomenal car for us and their suppliers are kicking them in the - - - - repeatedly by sub-standard products resulting in recalls, But even before then it was the strike (zero fault of the Corvette team), then it was the Covid shutdown (ditto), and now four recalls due to suppliers falling down. Oh yes, one more nightmare for them, that some amount of suppliers can not keep up with production causing even more severe problems for the Corvette team — and of course for us customers as we are downstream recipients.

I truly feel sorry for the Corvette team because of all these things. Just as I do for many of us C8 customers’ many issues starting with not getting their cars in a timely manner due to all the above and now the recalls.

One big SUPER UGLY YUK!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X