MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Special Tadge Juechter On Corvette Today Podcast Now

Steve Garrett has the honor of talking to Corvette's Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter on CORVETTE TODAY!  https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...60a01_h0PwqXjw

Tadge talks about how he started working at GM, what his first job was for the company, his path to success and how he attained his current position. Then Steve and Tadge trace his time with the C4, C5 and C6.  You'll learn how the C7 almost became the mid-engine Corvette!  Tadge talks about how the true mid-engine car we know today was being developed while the C7 was coming to market! Next Tadge takes a deep dive into the development and product launch of the current C8 Corvette. He talks about how the Corvette team attained the buy-in for GM executives to build the car, the research and architecture of the C8 and the future of this mid-engine marvel.

Tell your friends, stop what you're doing right now and check out this outstanding episode of CORVETTE TODAY with Executive Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett (listen to all CORVETTE TODAY podcasts)

CorvetteToday.ck.page (sign up for email updates here)
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Potential Valve Spring Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically my car is in this defect window, but I've driven enough spirited miles that I don't feel any anxiety about being stranded. No launch control yet, but I think it's a good time to test that out. If I have a bad spring, I want to find it asap.

Carrying towing/lifting gear in the car is a great idea, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-C6-C5-CO...72.m2749.l2649

Quality seems good, I haven’t had an opportunity to use it fortunately. I’m carrying it around in my Volt until the C8 arrives early this spring.

I also bought a tow hook on eBay. it seems to be solid as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2020-C...72.m2749.l2649
      That looks good, ships from the US too. Think I'll pick one up myself, thanks for the tip!
      2020 C8 | Torch Red | 3LT | Z51 Performance Package | 5W8 Ground Effects Package | Cicio Performance Lowering Kit | Vossen HF-5 Wheels | Front Lift | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash Mirrors | GT2 Seats | Black Leather | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red Seat Belts

Comment

Originally posted by capevettes View Post
        My car was built June 3rd. Serial #2995. Hopefully its only a small number of vehicles with the issue. That time range would encompass about 7,000 Corvettes with the potential for faulty valve springs.
        I’m in the same boat, vin 3181 built June 4 ,I have 2000 miles and no abnormal sounds or CEL ......I’d prefer to have the valve springs replaced before a failure.

Comment

What a cluster! Hope this information can save someone here a lot of time.

Our C8 was built on June 10, 2020 - last four VIN 3360. Based on the date range of the TSB, seems like we may be part of the bad batch of springs. We have about 750 miles and have already experienced a check engine light that was reset and has not reappeared. So far, we have not experienced any engine trouble.

1) First thing I did was call the dealer, who could not find any TSB associated with our VIN. More specifically, they could not find anything in their "VISS" for our car on Service Work Bench Pro.
          2) I then called the Corvette Concierge at 866-424-3892. They said they have nothing to do with TSB's and could only confirm our car's born-on date. They told me to call the dealer.
          3) I called the dealer back, and he said there is simply nothing he could do without a change to the VISS in his system, even if he wanted to. He instructed me to call "GM."
          4) Now back to the Concierge. I asked them who to call at "GM" since they apparently couldn't help. They then finally admitted they were "aware" of the situation, but since there was not an actual recall, they were instructed to refer customers to their dealer. They did eventually direct me to call GM's "Customer Assistance Center" at 800-222-1020.
          5) I called the number for GM's Customer Assistance Center. FYI - you might need to be prepared for a long hold, a long call and a language barrier. After researching the TSB and my VIN, the representative regurgitated the same information that my dealer did, which is that the TSB was not associated with my VIN in their system. Since this person clearly had no clue about the TSB, I asked to be referred to someone who could provide more information about the TSB. After about 35 minutes, I was transferred to her supervisor. The Supervisor was a bit more knowledgeable, and took the time to check into the matter more. She finally came back 20 minutes later and announced she would be escalating the matter to their "Senior Advisor Department." She said someone there would be calling me back in the next two business days to follow up on the matter and coordinate with our dealer to determine if a replacement is necessary per the TSB.

I'm not holding my breath on that response, but will let you guys know what happens next . . .

In the meantime, bottom line appears to be that until there is an actual recall, looks like you may need to blow up your engine to get any attention on this issue. I'm generally of the same mind as BLBc8adr about replacing defective parts before failure, but looks like Jackfrostpdx might have a point about trying out some launch control reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoya5555 View Post
            What a cluster! Hope this information can save someone here a lot of time.

Our C8 was built on June 10, 2020 - last four VIN 3360. Based on the date range of the TSB, seems like we may be part of the bad batch of springs. We have about 750 miles and have already experienced a check engine light that was reset and has not reappeared. So far, we have not experienced any engine trouble.

1) First thing I did was call the dealer, who could not find any TSB associated with our VIN. More specifically, they could not find anything in their "VISS" for our car on Service Work Bench Pro.
            2) I then called the Corvette Concierge at 866-424-3892. They said they have nothing to do with TSB's and could only confirm our car's born-on date. They told me to call the dealer.
            3) I called the dealer back, and he said there is simply nothing he could do without a change to the VISS in his system, even if he wanted to. He instructed me to call "GM."
            4) Now back to the Concierge. I asked them who to call at "GM" since they apparently couldn't help. They then finally admitted they were "aware" of the situation, but since there was not an actual recall, they were instructed to refer customers to their dealer. They did eventually direct me to call GM's "Customer Assistance Center" at 800-222-1020.
            5) I called the number for GM's Customer Assistance Center. FYI - you might need to be prepared for a long hold, a long call and a language barrier. After researching the TSB and my VIN, the representative regurgitated the same information that my dealer did, which is that the TSB was not associated with my VIN in their system. Since this person clearly had no clue about the TSB, I asked to be referred to someone who could provide more information about the TSB. After about 35 minutes, I was transferred to her supervisor. The Supervisor was a bit more knowledgeable, and took the time to check into the matter more. She finally came back 20 minutes later and announced she would be escalating the matter to their "Senior Advisor Department." She said someone there would be calling me back in the next two business days to follow up on the matter and coordinate with our dealer to determine if a replacement is necessary per the TSB.

I'm not holding my breath on that response, but will let you guys know what happens next . . .

In the meantime, bottom line appears to be that until there is an actual recall, looks like you may need to blow up your engine to get any attention on this issue. I'm generally of the same mind as BLBc8adr about replacing defective parts before failure, but looks like Jackfrostpdx might have a point about trying out some launch control reps.
            Concierge is useless as usual. GM Customer Assistance is useless as well. If your not having any issues - why cause yourself any ? I don't know how they could possibly know if one of your valve springs is going to collapse anyway. They didn't make them. Time will tell and I'm sure they are not going to replace everyone's valve springs anyway. The warranty will take care if a problem arises. My vehicle is built in your timeframe as well and I am not going to worry about any of it if I am not having any issues. Who reset your check engine light ? Did the dealer pull the code ? What was it involving ?
            Rocket City Florida

Comment

GM will only be replacing valve springs in the vehicles that experience a failure. I delivered our first convertible last Saturday, and on Thursday a valve spring shattered on him well away from home or us. It is now at a small town dealer waiting on parts and hopefully no other damage was caused. His car was actually built on Sep 15th, the last day of the questionable batch of valve springs. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if your vehicle has a bad spring until it fails, and because not all are bad, GM will likely not issue a recall unless there is a mass failure seen in the very near future.
              Ron Shinault
              Weber Chevrolet
              Columbia, IL
              2019 Dealerrater Dealer of the Year - Illinois
              314-677-7114

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

Concierge is useless as usual. GM Customer Assistance is useless as well. If your not having any issues - why cause yourself any ? I don't know how they could possibly know if one of your valve springs is going to collapse anyway. They didn't make them. Time will tell and I'm sure they are not going to replace everyone's valve springs anyway. The warranty will take care if a problem arises. My vehicle is built in your timeframe as well and I am not going to worry about any of it if I am not having any issues. Who reset your check engine light ? Did the dealer pull the code ? What was it involving ?
                The dealer pulled the code and reset the check engine light. The code was "P00FF" with the following diagnostic description:

"The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Air Induction System which monitors and controls air intake to the engine. If the check engine light is flashing, a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and could damage the emission control system on the vehicle. Please reduce vehicle speed, avoid hard accelerations, avoid steep uphill grades, and reduce any cargo loads such as a trailer."

Comment

The dealer pulled the code and reset the check engine light. The code was "P00FF" with the following diagnostic description:

"The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Air Induction System which monitors and controls air intake to the engine. If the check engine light is flashing, a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and could damage the emission control system on the vehicle. Please reduce vehicle speed, avoid hard accelerations, avoid steep uphill grades, and reduce any cargo loads such as a trailer."
                  Was your CEL flashing? If not, there was no misfire, and a misfire code is the symptom of a broken spring. Aside from that, if you had a broken spring the error code would come back as soon as you tried to drive somewhere.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I understand people being concerned, but you also need to be realistic. The number of bad springs appears to be very small. There's no way to identify a bad spring just by looking at it. The only thing GM can do is replace them, and the cost to GM to recall every vehicle in that date range and replace the springs would be astronomical, and add little value.

It also appears that all the cars with bad springs had one break very early. Most of the reports I've read about occurred at well under 100 miles, mostly in the first 50. If you have a bad spring, you're going to know it soon. If you've got a few thousand miles on your car without problems, the likelihood you have a bad spring is probably less than 1 in a million.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Wow, that code would concern me as well. As meyerweb posted, the issue would return immediately. Perhaps you could schedule an appointment to have the leak down procedure done to eliminate the valve spring issue.
                      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] Chevrolet View Post
                        GM will only be replacing valve springs in the vehicles that experience a failure. I delivered our first convertible last Saturday, and on Thursday a valve spring shattered on him well away from home or us. It is now at a small town dealer waiting on parts and hopefully no other damage was caused. His car was actually built on Sep 15th, the last day of the questionable batch of valve springs. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if your vehicle has a bad spring until it fails, and because not all are bad, GM will likely not issue a recall unless there is a mass failure seen in the very near future.
                        Finally heard back from the GM "Senior Advisor Department" who confirmed the above - they aren't replacing anything at this point unless it has failed because this is not technically a recall.

Comment

Finally heard back from the GM "Senior Advisor Department" who confirmed the above - they aren't replacing anything at this point unless it has failed because this is not technically a recall.
                          LOL If GM is going to play that way make sure and document with a notification IAW the provisions in you warranty and your State that they are formally being notified of a defect and you are starting the "Lemon Law" process. GM will immediately assign a case number and a advisor to it. Is a PITA but I do it as a matter of course for just these types of instances. Anyone needs a letter as an example PM me and I will send it to you, recent one as well on my 2020 2500 Denali.

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post

Anyone needs a letter as an example PM me and I will send it to you, recent one as well on my 2020 2500 Denali.
                            Your page is not accepting PMs?

'64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                            '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                            '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

Originally posted by 16falcon View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-C6-C5-CO...72.m2749.l2649

Quality seems good, I haven’t had an opportunity to use it fortunately. I’m carrying it around in my Volt until the C8 arrives early this spring.

I also bought a tow hook on eBay. it seems to be solid as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2020-C...72.m2749.l2649
                              This is the same Y bridle I bought a couple of years ago for our C7. Appears to be very high quality. I would strongly suggest anyone with a front splitter to have a Y bridle should you ever have to go on a rollback. I keep it in the trunk of the C8 now, as well as a set of lifting pucks. !

I've more than once had to offer a dealership to use my pucks as they couldn't "find" theirs.
                              3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

I have driven across the country after the springs were fixed, put about 3000 miles on the car. It is such a fantastic car that I have forgiven the valve fiasco.. the car is just so **** good It has won me over in spite of the heartbreak at the beginning. By far the best vette yet, and the car I always knew they could build, actually they went beyond what I had hoped for. The C7 was very good, and the first world class corvette in a long time. But this one is solidly a world beater, it really has won me over in spite of the crappy towing and dealerships. It helps to think that the engineers making the car, Tadge et. al. can’t help that they are part of the rest of the gm ecosystem that was designed for much cheaper cars.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X