MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast Now On With Lance Miller (Corvettes At Carlisle)

Steve Garrett introduces you to Lance Miller.  Lance is the Co-Owner of Carlisle Events, which hosts the largest Corvette show in the country— Corvettes At Carlisle. http://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/episo...-Miller-el6mbb. Corvettes at Carlisle is the only major Corvette show that took place this year.  Lance talks about how things went this year during the pandemic.  Plus, he also talks about what the show is like during a non-pandemic environment. Lance is also the owner of the 1960 #3 Corvette that won its class at Le Mans in 1960. You previously hear about this valuable car on CORVETTE TODAY in podcast #14 with Kevin Mackay, podcast #15 with Michael Brown and podcast #22 with Jan Hyde.  But in this podcast, you get the story from the owners perspective!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Miller-el6mbb
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Potential Valve Spring Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Valve Spring Issues

Has GM found a batch of bad springs and might they effect some of our LT2’s?We thanks “NewDude” for surfacing this info.

Originally posted by NewDude
    GM has a timeframe on spring failures it seems. This affects all of the V8s from the 5.3 in Trucks/SUVs, 6.2 in Corvette/Camaro/Trucks/SUVs and the 6.6 gas engine in HD trucks. Seems like they have a window of where a bad spring or springs might be possible to be found.

Quote:
    #PIP5752A: Service Engine Light misfire engine noise With DTC P0300 P0106 P0506 - (Sep 22, 2020)

Subject: Service Engine Light misfire engine noise With DTC P0300 P0106 P0506

Involved Region or Country North America

Condition

A Vehicle may have a concern of service engine light, misfire and engine noise with possible of DTC P0300 P0106 P0506.

Cause

Possible broken valve spring.
    CorrectionDuring inspection if you determine that the engine has a broken valve spring it will be necessary to perform a cylinder leakage test on the affected cylinder.

If no cylinder leakage is observed it will be necessary to replace all valve springs on both banks if the vehicle is built between June 1, 2020 to September 15, 2020. Note: This only applies to the 6.2L engines RPOs L87, LT1, LT4 and LT2. For all other engine RPOs L82, L84 and L8T just replace the affected valve spring.

If you determine that engine has cylinder leakage it will be necessary to inspect further to determine the extent of the engine damage to determine correct repair required.

Important: All valve springs will be requested back for further analysis and inspection.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

My car was built June 3rd. Serial #2995. Hopefully its only a small number of vehicles with the issue. That time range would encompass about 7,000 Corvettes with the potential for faulty valve springs.

Comment

This is a BIG DEAL..... with our HTC being built this week, we could have an engine that is a part of the suspect batch. I'd sure hate to get a 'check engine' light and a valve noise while driving back from the Museum where we'll take delivery. Oh well.... it's just a machine and machines can be fixed I guess. S_____ happens.
      C8 Deposit July 2018 (HTC). In the system: Jan 20. Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivery October 21st....

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

First we are hearing of this and many vehicles have been hitting the road and track. Probably a Very Rare issue. Nothing to worry about and will be covered under warranty.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

I seem to recall that there were a small number (but large enough to show up multiple times on the forums) of broken springs on the first year LT1. Very strange that history repeats.

I saw one report elsewhere from an owner with, I think, 48 miles on his C8 where this problem occurred. So if you've got significant mileage on your C8 without any problems, you're probably good. Oh, and that owner said there was no other damage to the engine, which is good news.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

We have seen so far one, perhaps a second, C8 with LT2 valve spring failure. While the second one is not confirmed, as the reasonable and prudent posts above have noted, this could well be a very isolated problem.

‘It is really nice being part of this community where we take measured responses as to probable outcomes, not the knee **** “catastrophic, sky is failing” initial conclusions.

Sorry for that one person who has valve spring breakage, but thankfully and why we have warranties.
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Oh boy! Picking up our HTC (built 9/14) next Wednesday at the Museum. Wish us luck for the 200 mile drive home.
              Stingray HTC, 2LT, (G1E)Long Beach Red, (HTM) Black interior, (Q8T)Spectra Grey Whls, (NPP)Performance Exhaust, (EFY) Body colored side vents and front and rear inserts, (AH2) GT2 seats, (E60) Front Lift, (J6N) Edge Red Calipers, (STI) Composite molded black rockers, (VQK) Splash guards, (R8C) Museum Delivery

Comment

This is unfortunately something that happens. Supply Chain is at fault. I had a wrist pin bushing on a 6.2 Truck motor that was bad had to replace all of them Same issue was part of a "bad batch". The good news was and I am sure this will not happen because of the newness of the motor and the parts programming required but I made arraignments with the Dealer to drop in a more aggressive cam while the top was off the motor so to speak. Had the tuning done immediately had a nice lope to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                  First we are hearing of this and many vehicles have been hitting the road and track. Probably a Very Rare issue. Nothing to worry about and will be covered under warranty.
                  Not enough information is known from the post above. Could be a fatigue issue that just takes time to manifest itself and with such a wide range of engines and dates of manufacture either GM has investigated it enough to know all of the engines are suspect as they were not able to trace it down to a specific suspect production lot number. This is the first thing that is done in these types of situations to find the possible extent of the non conforming part. My thinking is that at this time GM does not know the true extent of the problem or maybe they do in any event in time everything will be vetted and a corrective action will be identified.

If they are all going to have to be replaced in the referenced motors that is going to be quite a few vehicles to be serviced.

Comment

This just happened to one of my family members. He was driving his 1LT with 464 miles when his engine started running rough. He was able to drive it a short distance back home before the engine shut down.
                    It happened last Saturday evening so he wasn't able to call the dealer until this past Monday morning. He explained that the worst part of the whole experience wasn't even the spring breaking but the problem with not being able to get the C8 into neutral without starting the engine. They couldn't back it out of his garage so the flatbed tow truck could get loaded up. After numerous calls to the dealer and GM no one had any advice or solutions for him. He was told to keep cranking the engine until it started, eventually they got it loaded up. The dealership figured out the problem and replaced one bad spring with one they had in stock so his car was repaired the same day.

But the way I read the bulletin the dealership should have replaced all of the springs, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by TNRunner View Post
                      Oh boy! Picking up our HTC (built 9/14) next Wednesday at the Museum. Wish us luck for the 200 mile drive home.
                      You have a better chance at both getting hit by lighting on your way home. Please do not stress for it is a batch of spring divided over 9 engine lines — of which Corvettes make up less than1% of the total motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Mike View Post
                        This just happened to one of my family members. He was driving his 1LT with 464 miles when his engine started running rough. He was able to drive it a short distance back home before the engine shut down.
                        It happened last Saturday evening so he wasn't able to call the dealer until this past Monday morning. He explained that the worst part of the whole experience wasn't even the spring breaking but the problem with not being able to get the C8 into neutral without starting the engine. They couldn't back it out of his garage so the flatbed tow truck could get loaded up. After numerous calls to the dealer and GM no one had any advice or solutions for him. He was told to keep cranking the engine until it started, eventually they got it loaded up. The dealership figured out the problem and replaced one bad spring with one they had in stock so his car was repaired the same day.

But the way I read the bulletin the dealership should have replaced all of the springs, is that correct?
                        There is a mechanical neutral lever on top of the DCT. Looks like only the techs that went to the C8 training know about this.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

There is a mechanical neutral lever on top of the DCT. Looks like only the techs that went to the C8 training know about this.
                          OK, good to know. I thought I read that you needed a special tool to engage it?

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

The isn't a lever on the top of the DCT. There's is an internal lever onto which a special tool that fits into the DCT that can be turned to release the parking pawl. But it has to be held the entire time, so you need one person in the frunk holding the tool while the car is being pushed.

MANUALLY SHIFTING TO NEUTRAL

With the ETRS system, the transmission parking pawl cannot be disengaged unless the engine is running. If there is a loss of vehicle battery power, the DT-52388 manual park release tool can be used to shift the transmission to Neutral and move the vehicle. Due to spring pressure, the tool must be applied to the release lever and held in the release position while moving the vehicle. The manual park release is located on the right side of the transmission and can be accessed through the trunk. For additional information on the all-new 2020 Corvette, refer to Bulletin #20-NA-061
                            https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.co...March_2020.pdf

The tool costs about $500, btw.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

The tool PN DT-52388, Manual Park Release Wrench, costs $316 and is one of the $1,454 collection of tools every dealer must have purchased to either sell or service C8’s.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X