MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Recall on Harbor Freight Jack Stands? Check the part #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recall on Harbor Freight Jack Stands? Check the part #

https://autos.yahoo.com/harbor-freig...133900420.html

Harbor Freight is recalling over 1.7 million Pittsburgh-branded jack stands that can suddenly collapse due to a manufacturing flaw. It warned its customers that they need to stop using the defective stands immediately.

The recall campaign includes three- and six-ton stands wearing item numbers 56371, 61196 or 61197. The number is found on the label that's normally affixed to the top or the base of the stand depending on the model; it should be clearly legible. Harbor Freight told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it realized the tooling used to make the stands near Hangzhou, China, had become worn out due to age and was manufacturing inconsistent parts. As a result, the ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place if a shift in weight occurs, like when you're banging on a rusty brake drum with a mallet, and the stand could collapse without warning. That's bad news if you're under it, working on a 4,700-pound SUV.

There's no word yet on whether any injuries or deaths are blamed on the defect. There is also no word on whether the stands, manufactured by a supplier named Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Co., Ltd., (and exported by Shanghai Shen Da Import and Export Co Ltd.), might have been sold by other retailers.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	jackstands.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	147638
    Last edited by meyerweb; 05-20-2020, 02:50 PM.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Replaced my Stands with Race Ramps, Cribs and Chucks

Comment

Most of harbor Freight tools are defective. They are throw away tools. I go there for the free flashlights and the Great Pizza at the pie house next door. I do buy their tools with the thought that they are throw awy when they are cheap enough to buy.

Comment

I went to HF today. I had two sets of the gray colored jackstands. All 4 were absolutely 1000% identical. One set had a sticker with a different item number from the other set. I was told that only one set was elegible for a recall return/credit. After the obvious conversation that subsequently ensued, they took all four stands back 🤦🏼‍♂️
        Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
          Most of harbor Freight tools are defective. They are throw away tools. I go there for the free flashlights and the Great Pizza at the pie house next door. I do buy their tools with the thought that they are throw awy when they are cheap enough to buy.
          Their hand tools have a full warranty, which I've used before. It's like returning a Craftsman hand tool - no questions, they just give you a replacement.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	warranty.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	147954

I've also got four of the 6-ton stands that I need to return, and I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm also a fan of their free blue magnetic LED flashlights, although I've noticed that they've recently ended their free item deals...
          Upcoming Vette:
          '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status on December 27, 2019, 3000 Status on January 2, 2020, 3400 Status on March 10, 2020, TPW of March 16, 2020

Current Vettes:
          '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
          '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
          '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I find some HF tools to be just fine, others to be pretty junky. Examine them carefully and you can generally tell. Also go to their website and read user reviews. But I'm willing to be some of them are made on the same assembly lines as far more expensive brand name tools from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.

Hot Rod Magazine some years ago tested and reported on a bunch of different torque wrenches, and found a HF one to be as accurate as any they tested.

As a general rule, I stay away from their power tools, but have an inexpensive electric impact wrench which works fine for busting loose rusted fasteners and lug nuts (and with the C8's torqued to 140 ft / lbs that'll be a nice feature).
            Last edited by meyerweb; 05-21-2020, 04:19 PM.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

Their hand tools have a full warranty, which I've used before. It's like returning a Craftsman hand tool - no questions, they just give you a replacement.

I've also got four of the 6-ton stands that I need to return, and I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm also a fan of their free blue magnetic LED flashlights, although I've noticed that they've recently ended their free item deals...
              Hand tools yes, Don't buy anything electrical

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

The free flashlights are still available, and they seem to be new and improved.
                I am a DeWalt 'kinda guy. I dislike cheap tools.
                C8er

Comment

Thanks for the info meyerweb, I'm not sure if these are the same model because they have been used so not much of the stickers left . I ONLY use these with " lifting extension" completely down and blocks of if needed . Purchased a new set of ESCO jack stands from Reverse Logic a few years ago so the Harbor Freight are only spares ..
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4069.PNG Views:	0 Size:	563.5 KB ID:	148567Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0689.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	148568Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0690.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	148569Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0691.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	148570
                  A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ssscooter66 View Post
                    Thanks for the info meyerweb, I'm not sure if these are the same model because they have been used so not much of the stickers left . I ONLY use these with " lifting extension" completely down and blocks of if needed . Purchased a new set of ESCO jack stands from Reverse Logic a few years ago so the Harbor Freight are only spares ..
                    ]
                    Those look completely different than the ones pictured in the recall notice, so I think you're probably OK.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X