Bought a Porsche 718 Cayman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Porsche 718 Cayman...

I found a great deal on a Dealer Demo Cayman, 3K miles and with a minimal set of expensive option loaded on. At the same time got a fair sale on my 17 Camaro SS.

Drove the 718 back from northern Cali , got home yesterday. This will give me a toy until the C8 arrives. And hopefully I wont lose my shirt on a resale. I'm a late 2020 guy with thoughts of just going 2021 for any upgrades they may do after initial production. I know the price will probably go up , but we shall see.

I've had two previous P cars but both AGES ago. Both were solid and fun to own, but had maintenance issues. Not insurmountable but they did require some time. Now I have lots of time so this guy will probably be trouble free.

This car is in a word BRILLIANT. It's under 3K pounds, with a mid engine setup, 300 hp Boxer 4, turbo'd of course. Six speed manual, Bose sound system, beautiful leather interior and a few electronic nannies and niceties like the lane change assist, NAV etc. It's solid and quiet on the road. All the acceleration one could want with very PRECISE controls.

Hit the MT border yesterday afternoon with clear, open roads and not a single Trooper to be seen. My last 240 miles were at a FAR higher average speed than the rest of the trip...all I'll say. But it performed very well in the twisties. Can't imagine how the ME C8 will be with a ton more power!

Just looking at it in the garage and the paint is beautiful.... Metallic Silver. The fit and inish especially the interior quality is what You're paying for with the inflated P car prices. But it's a nice place to sit for several hours.

This will give me something to keep me occupied until the C8 arrives.

Congratulations FN! You have purchased a phenomenal interim car. 718’s hold their value well, and as you are happy with your deal’s on both it and your Camaro, a wonderful time for you is what you already have started to experience. We know you will enjoy your 718 while you wait for your C8. Great plan you have started on!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Good plan and execution FN in MT. You will have lots of interim fun for not too much money.

Comment

With Porsche apparently ALL IN on electric by 2023 I wonder where the "old gas car" market will go? I'd bet UP.

I wanted an S model for the extra 50 HP and displacement. But so tough to find them without tens of thousands of dollars of options I do not need.

This base 718 was a bargain because it was a low option car; NO $3K electric seats, Manual trans $0, Basic A/C and climate control versus the $3k+ system, BOSE radio $900. Did have optional metallic paint, which was a $650 option. heated/cooled seats, heated sport wheel. 19" boxster S rims which give me some sidewall for Montana potholes versus the 20" rims. So money saved there too.

Lane change assist which I really like. And the $600 optional Porsche Entry and Drive option...Which is basically the same key fob one gets with most aNY car today, that allows keyless lock/unlock! Six hundred bucks!

It IS certainly well made....May have to stop calling P cars "the YETI mugs of automobiles". Meaning they surely are great, they DO perform, but SO overpriced!

Last edited by FN in MT; 11-24-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Congrats FN! Heck of a place holder car. Your C8 wait will surely fly by.

Comment

EThats a very fun sports car and Im sure you got a great price since it was a demo....
            makes depreciation the first year you own it practically nothing. Low option car is even lighter on depreciation...

Thanks for sharing....

price new 65? And you get ten off?

sound about right? (Im just guessing)

have fun ..

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              EThats a very fun sports car and Im sure you got a great price since it was a demo....
              makes depreciation the first year you own it practically nothing. Low option car is even lighter on depreciation...

Thanks for sharing....

price new 65? And you get ten off?

sound about right? (Im just guessing)

have fun ..
              Price on sticker $67,780. 18 months later as a CPO car $50K. I think I did OK.

Comment

Originally posted by FN in MT View Post

Price on sticker $67,780. 18 months later as a CPO car $50K. I think I did OK.
                you did excellent...enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

you did excellent...enjoy!
                  Thanks....NICE to get some positive support. I tend to suffer from "buyers remorse" immediately after large purchases. THAT comment helped.

I KNOW it's a good move, but still nice to have others AGREE! LOL.

Reading the owners manual trying to figure out all the features, especially the electronic ones.

Comment

With Porsche apparently ALL IN on electric by 2023 I wonder where the "old gas car" market will go? I'd bet UP.

I wanted an S model for the extra 50 HP and displacement. But so tough to find them without tens of thousands of dollars of options I do not need.

This base 718 was a bargain because it was a low option car; NO $3K electric seats, Manual trans $0, Basic A/C and climate control versus the $3k+ system, BOSE radio $900. Did have optional metallic paint, which was a $650 option. heated/cooled seats, heated sport wheel. 19" boxster S rims which give me some sidewall for Montana potholes versus the 20" rims. So money saved there too.

Lane change assist which I really like. And the $600 optional Porsche Entry and Drive option...Which is basically the same key fob one gets with most aNY car today, that allows keyless lock/unlock! Six hundred bucks!

It IS certainly well made....May have to stop calling P cars "the YETI mugs of automobiles". Meaning they surely are great, they DO perform, but SO overpriced!

I love the Caymans', my favorite is the GT4 version. But alas, I can't afford all the cars I want. Had a 914 when I was young, bought it new and really learned to drive on that car. Hoping the C8's will have the same fun factor, wait, I know they will.

Comment

I have a base 718 pdk that I bought new in 2017. I didn't mind the purchase price but the maintenance $ is very bad. Once it's over 4 years I'll take it to the indy. I wanted to sell it for the C8 but I do not want to get rid of it. I'm a old retired guy and prefer to sell something rather than reduce the savings. I don't want to sell my 2015 3LT Z51 Callaway SC627 either. Check your paper work for the start warranty date. It's not the date you bought it. Thats my major B---- because I thought I got 48 months, well it turns out to be about 44 months. After I had it a year with 3500 miles I took ot to the dealer for first service they told me my warranty might be void since I went 4 months beyond their year.

Comment

Mine is a Certified pre owned model, warranty started when I bought it. Only had 2990 miles when I test drove it. So low mileage. They did all the maint a few weeks back for the CPO program. So I'm starting new.

Talk about worthless in snow! I rolled it out to take a few pictures for a buddy on the east coast. Got it stuck in my driveway! LOL.

Comment

Your 718 cayman looks great ...and fwiw if you really want to move in this snowy weather its all about snow tires...but Im sure you have another awd type vehicle.

really looks sharp...enjoy!

Comment

Mine is a Certified pre owned model, warranty started when I bought it. Only had 2990 miles when I test drove it. So low mileage. They did all the maint a few weeks back for the CPO program. So I'm starting new.

Talk about worthless in snow! I rolled it out to take a few pictures for a buddy on the east coast. Got it stuck in my driveway! LOL.
                            Fantastic picture. Snow & car look great. You should get the picture in the PCA thing where we pic the best picture of the month. I'll vote for you!

Comment

Need to join PCA first! Should have removed the Cali trip permit from the WS too.

Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X