Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

GM Official C8 Sites For Your Convenience And Inquiries

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 10/11: https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections. Thank you.
See more
See less

Will our new C8 give us this much pleasure at 4.9 knots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will our new C8 give us this much pleasure at 4.9 knots?

We are so blessed to be living in this great country, and I'm equality blessed to be living in the North East, and right on Buzzards Bay, rated as one of the best sailing areas on the East Coast.
    The sailing season is coming quickly to a close here in the North, so yesterday my wife and I, despite a forecast of high winds and choppy seas due to the remnants of Dorian, decided to sail the 15 miles to Cuttyhunk Harbor, pick up a mooring, have lunch aboard, and sail back to our slip in New Bedford Massachusetts.
    It became apparent as we sailed out of New Bedford Harbor, that one sail would be all we needed to reach Cuttyhunk comfortably and in less than 3 hours.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sail1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	69660

​​​​​​​Accidently hit a button that published what I was writing.
    Will finish soon
    Thanks for understanding
    Last edited by USCANAM; 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM.
    3LT AYM. Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #153 on MacMulkin's list.

Somewhere on the options list is a check box labeled : Floaties . Make sure to ask your dealer for it.
    2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sail2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	69688
      A shot of the crew on a rest break.
      Incidentally, notice I also have a mark on the steering wheel like the C8 at top dead center. That wheel is 42 inches in diameter, and almost 2 turns lock to lock. It allows me to know where the rudder is pointing before I start to move the boat. Still don't know why there's a center stripe on the C8

I'm sure there are many sailors who are Corvette owners, and you can relate to the euphoric feeling of maneuvering a machine driven only by the wind, exactly to a destination of your choice. If you don't know what I'm talking about, we'll take you for a sail.

There are very few similarities between our Catalina 380 and the C8.
      Both are made out of plastic, although one weighs about 3400 pounds, and the other weighs about 24,000 pounds.
      One has a gasoline engine putting out almost 500 horsepower. The other one has a diesel engine putting out 42 horsepower.
      One will take you across an ocean, the other one will take you across a country.
      One has a propeller shaft, I don't think the transaxle has one anymore.
      I can cook on the boat, but you can cook along in the C8.
      I can sleep on the boat, things haven't got that bad yet I'll have to sleep in the C8.
      The Gelcoat finish on the boat is very smooth, like glass. Don't know what the C8 will be.
      But each has it's own purpose, and I'm sure the C8 will do it's job very well.
      Unfortunately, one of those jobs will not be to take us to the marina as the dog and a boatload of other stuff won't fit.

The foresail we had up is about 400 square feet, and is equal in size as the mainsail, but it deploys in about 10 seconds, compared to the main which is about 5 minutes, then about 10 minutes to stow it. You can see by the windmeter there was 15 knots of wind on a broad reach, and it was a relaxing comfortable sail with just the Genoa up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sail3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	69687
      And speaking of the dog, here's Bentley. Loves the boat, especially riding in the tender that takes him ashore to do his thing. He's too big to fit in the head!
      3LT AYM. Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts. #153 on MacMulkin's list.

Comment

The Corvette seems to give a lot of owners pleasure at 0 knots, just sitting in the garage getting dusty.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          The Corvette seems to give a lot of owners pleasure at 0 knots, just sitting in the garage getting dusty.
          Heck, mine hasn't even been built and I'm already getting pleasure just knowing I'm on Mike Furman's confirmed list.
          2017 Arctic White Z06 Convertible 2LZ Trim, Carbon Flash painted mirrors, Z06 Spectra Gray-painted with machined groove aluminum wheels, Adrenaline Red w/Black Seating surfaces, A8, Carbon fiber instrument panel. Life Member, Corvette Museum.

Comment

What a gorgeous ship you have!!! I learned to sail on those water when a teenager, as a Sea Scout. Life long memories. Thanks for taking me back.
            GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

USCANAM,

Looks stunning. Spent much of my free time over the years racing one design cats in FL. Many years ago. More recently we would bare boat charter in the BVI with the Moorings. I always went for monohulls. Seems like now a days, about all they offer are big cats.

We always had sailboats growing up. My Dad was Chief of Staff at the US Naval Academy ( 1962 - 1964) and headed up their Sailing Team. I was fortunate enough as a kid to join him, and the midshipmen on many sailing trips and races. Got me hooked .....

Enjoy !!!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                What a gorgeous ship you have!!! I learned to sail on those water when a teenager, as a Sea Scout. Life long memories. Thanks for taking me back.
                Thanks John.
                Sailing is a great learning experience for all teenagers, that besides learning how to sail, it also teaches responsibility and respect.. Keeps them away from those little machines in their hands,....at least for a while!
                During the summer as we sail out of the harbor, there's a sailing school that's continually busy with kids in little sailing dingys that we pass. Wish more kids were able to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  You were lucky. Those pictures don't look like anything I ever sailed on in the Marine Corps ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Strake View Post
                    USCANAM,

Looks stunning. Spent much of my free time over the years racing one design cats in FL. Many years ago. More recently we would bare boat charter in the BVI with the Moorings. I always went for monohulls. Seems like now a days, about all they offer are big cats.

We always had sailboats growing up. My Dad was Chief of Staff at the US Naval Academy ( 1962 - 1964) and headed up their Sailing Team. I was fortunate enough as a kid to join him, and the midshipmen on many sailing trips and races. Got me hooked .....

Enjoy !!!
                    Bet you wouldn’t trade one minute of those early years with the Academy for anything!

Yes, those cats are getting bigger.
                    I guess they’re comfortable, but still not my first choice of a sailing vessel.
                    Was very interested in, and got a chance to sail a trimaran when they first appeared about 55 years ago, but in order to get a center hull wide enough to be comparable to a monohull, it had to be at least 50 feet long. That made for one large footprint.
                    But, they are fast!

Comment

While I loved the extreme high speed and action on a one design catamaran ( bathing suits required) for anything longer than a half day, it was always mono hulls for me. Nothing like holding a 42" stainless wheel and having a rail buried !!!

My Dad grew up in Marblehead and Swampscot so he came by it naturally. We always had sailboats when I was young. He was Chief of Staff at Alameda Naval Air Station 1960 to 1962 so I learned to sail on the San Francisco Bay !!! Then to USNA Annapolis from there. I really got hooked on racing since age 13. When I wasn't racing my own Cat in FL I would crew for others doing SORC out of St Pete, FL and Clearwater.

After moving to Maryland for my job in '86 I was sailing on the Chesapeake on a customer's boat.... a Catalina 27.... the customer, an Engineer at Lockheed Martin Baltimore got the boat for a steal, but didn't know how to sail. Lucky for me...... within a year, I had him Club racing Thursday evenings !!! Fun times. Since then, it's been down to the BVI and USVI several times.

Comment

Originally posted by Strake View Post

After moving to Maryland for my job in '86 I was sailing on the Chesapeake on a customer's boat.... a Catalina 27.... Since then, it's been down to the BVI and USVI several times.
                        Catalina 27, the most popular small cruising boat ever built.....6600 of them, before building ended.
                        Catalina has recently come out with another 27, but it appears more suitable to racing with its large cockpit.
                        Have thought about taking our boat down to the Virgin Islands, but don’t think that will ever happen.
                        So much to do, so little time left.

Comment

I used to live down the road from Morgan Yacht, in Largo, FL which turned into Catalina years ago. Met Charlie Morgan many times at sailing events in the area. Irwin Yacht was also only a couple miles away too.

Comment

BVI, Me too, bareboat charter on a Lagoon45F Click image for larger version  Name:	72D18054-43BB-4C06-A597-44B94C52BE47.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	681.9 KB ID:	80441
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Racer86; 10-09-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Way back when I was in law school, a group of us drove to Florida on Spring Break. One of the guys was reading the book "Jaws".

When we got to Florida, he would not get in the ocean, saying "Its full of bad animals".

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X