Why I don't show my C7 at local car shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I don't show my C7 at local car shows

A fellow I know down the road has a replica AC Cobra that he likes to show at the local shows. He is always trying to get me to show my C7 NRB roadster, which I did only once and didn't feel real comfortable about it (but I like to go to these shows to see other people's cars). I just figured out why I don't like to show my car.

I didn't have much in the way of nice stuff growing up, but I had a lot of cousins who had much, much less. I sort of got the impression that showing off what you owned to people who had much less was bragging, and only engendered envy. Neither of which is good. So, any prized possessions I had were for my enjoyment, but not for display.

I realize, objectively, that this is mostly a problem that exists in my head, and not a real issue. But, even to this day, if I go to a family reunion, the C7 stays home.

Anyone else have quirky issues with their cars?

I usally go to car shows to meet friends and talk with other car enthusiasts. I don't care much about how they like my car or not, and I don't think a Corvette is that kind of "look at me" car (at least if you don't do insane mods to it). So maybe you can just try to enjoy a car show for the people and other cars, and don't focus on what they might think about you

Comment

People think and say all sorts of things. I've heard many things that weren't warranted or particularly nice. It's a car show, people want to see cool cars. A lot of these vehicles people will never be able to afford, so it's their chance to see them. I won't be able to afford a Ferrari F12 for instance, but I had a good time chatting with the owner at a local C&C. And vice versa, if you want to chat with me about my vehicle, more than happy to get into as much detail as you'd like. Are there people who try and brag, sure. My favorites are the ballers on the budget, with the 40 - 80k Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, and Lamborghinis and try to play it off like they are still worth $150k+. Or the guy with the base C whatever Corvette with 900 miles that thinks it will be worth $$$$ someday. Always gives me a good chuckle. I just like cool cars, and talking to cool people about them. Much rather talk to the guy who built the clean motor swapped EG Civic hatch, than the **** with the brand new Ferrari.

Just don't touch the car! That, that drives me nuts.
      Last edited by P-Tree; 07-23-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Rob, I have never taken either of my Corvettes to a car show. My biggest problem is that I can get easily bored and just sitting there babysitting my car all day is not my personal idea of fun. On the other hand, I am never one to just ignore anyone on the street that wants to stop and look at either car while I have them out and talk about it or ask questions. Both my C4 and C7 are not common where I live so to see one up close is a real treat for some.

It is yours to enjoy and you've worked hard to be able to afford what you have. You should never be embarrassed to drive it anywhere. Just my humble opinion but as long as you are not one of those "I'm better than you because I have a nicer car, LOOK AT ME" kind of guys, and I don't think you are, enjoy what you have and find your comfort level with others also enjoying what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
          A fellow I know down the road has a replica AC Cobra that he likes to show at the local shows. He is always trying to get me to show my C7 NRB roadster, which I did only once and didn't feel real comfortable about it (but I like to go to these shows to see other people's cars). I just figured out why I don't like to show my car.

I didn't have much in the way of nice stuff growing up, but I had a lot of cousins who had much, much less. I sort of got the impression that showing off what you owned to people who had much less was bragging, and only engendered envy. Neither of which is good. So, any prized possessions I had were for my enjoyment, but not for display.

I realize, objectively, that this is mostly a problem that exists in my head, and not a real issue. But, even to this day, if I go to a family reunion, the C7 stays home.

Anyone else have quirky issues with their cars?
          I am with you Bob, I understand showing a classic car I spent effortless hours in labor to show but I do not get showing a brand new car that someone ( Car Manufacture) built. To me it is just a display of disposable income. I will show any car, restored classic or new car, for a charitable function as it is for a good cause. I hope my C8 will be here by the first Saturday in April for the Celebration Exotic Car Festival in Disney. We always raise a lot of money and all money goes to a great causes. And for those of you that want to run your cars on The Daytona Speedway during that event, that can be done for around $800 and every dime goes to cause.

Comment

I go to a cruise to see other cars both old and new. I don’t bring a chair because I don’t spend much time around my car. I’ll wonder back every so often but usually I’m talking with someone about their car. Have had so many cars it’s easy to run into someone that has the same car. So naturally it’s easy talking about their car. I don’t think people think you are bragging about your car if you aren’t even around it. You do see some idiots that bring their car only to show off ...they stand there waiting for the next guy to say wow but they never look at other cars. Most of those types I don’t interact with. They are rare and mostly at cars and coffee which I don’t attend and doesn’t interest me. In Atlanta it’s just a Ferrari, Lamborghini type show. Look at me individual.
            I do however enjoy looking at a new Shelby, Charger, and Camaro. How else are you going to see and HEAR the new stuff from Detroit........ 55,56,and 57 chevys and ......67,68and 69 Camaros oh hum kind of boring after more then 1 zillion car shows. I’ll look at a 62 Pontiac GP all day long with tri power and 4 speed. Or a 427 galaxy lite weight. Maybe a 57 Chevy black widow. Maybe a 70 boss 302 trans am tribute car. These make my day.
            Last edited by MikeC8; 07-23-2019, 09:59 AM.
            2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
              I do not get showing a brand new car that someone (Car Manufacturer) built. To me it is just a display of disposable income.
              Yeah that only makes sense to me if it's something very new that not many people have had a chance to see yet. Then they might be interested in seeing the car in the metal rather than just pics.

I got my FR-S back when they first came out and initially there were about 15 fellow 86'ers (FR-S / BRZ twins) in the area. We would get together at an import night meet or a more traditional cruise night. With cars at various levels of mods, not to mention colors and trims, it was like a mini traveling show where folks could check out the new metal and see what appealed to them. But after a year or so of that, everybody knows what they're like so there's no real point to showing them off except a couple of highly modified ones.

I expect the C8 will be the same way. For the first year, people will be curious and it's helpful to show them your car and they can see if they fit inside easily, but after that it's only for special events, e.g. a Corvette show or charity car show. And I tend to miss half of those events because I'm off doing an autocross somewhere!

Comment

I go to car shows in year one when, because we typically have one of the first if not the very first in our area, going to explain the car. It is not an ego thing, it is an educational sharing for me.

After year one, I go to only one, at most two shows a year, instead choosing road trips and other special occasions.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I've never gone to a car show except the big ones, NY and LA.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X