Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #115 - Corvette News & Headlines, Late June 2022

We've got the latest News & Headlines in the world of Corvette for you every other week! Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger is back to give you the inside scoop on what's happening. https://youtu.be/ZnVdDJHYDxo; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...2cqLUlcMmj6m4x
Here are a few of the topics covered on next week's podcast....
C8 Z06 benchmarked Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and McLaren
Chevrolet raises prices on 2023 C8 Stingray
Chevrolet adds DCT transmission filter life to maintenance tab on 2023 Corvettes
Chevy offers "Dark Stealth" crossed flags for 2023 Corvettes
WEC drops GTE Pro class for 2023 and introduces GTE Premium for 2024
Chevrolet is offering Dark Stealth Crossed Flags for the 2023 Corvettes
Is Corvette is scheduled for an interior refresh in 2024?
Chevrolet to offer 1 of 1 Mint Green Z06 in first NFT Auction
GM releases 2 more videos about the C8 Z06
This Friday, July 1st, is "Drive Your Corvette To Work" Day!

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Tesla catches fire3 weeks after being at a junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla catches fire3 weeks after being at a junkyard

Tesla Model S https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/21/...unkyard-video/
    2022 LT2 Elkhart Lake Blue…. A thought if I might ..

We keep seeing evidence that once the battery packs start to melt down they are impossible to extinguish.
    I will definitely not be getting an EV as my home is connected to the garage.
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Yep, a few of these a year ... not a bad ratio compared to Gas Fires
      1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
      2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
      Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
      Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

At some point, someone will come up with a solution for battery fires. Hopefully sooner rather than later. No EV maker will be exempt from these problems. There just happens to be more Tesla’s on the road at this time.
        Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

There is a Tesla repair shop next to a Hot Rod Shop I visit. It has burnt to the ground 3 times in the last few years. Once it starts you can’t put it out with water. Just ask the VW group. They are not saying why the ship went down recently. Bet it was an EV that started burning.
          2021 C8 HTC 2LT Convertible, Red Mist Metallic, GT2 Natural Interior, Front End Lift, Performance Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Plentyfast View Post
            I'm comfortable with gas - I know what it smells like and if there is even a hint of it in my garage I can examine where it may be coming from.
            Unfortunately with EV's they just decide to melt down whenever the battery pack has a bad cell and the chain reaction is unstoppable meltdown and fire. Also gasoline cars usually only catch fire on the road when being driven and develop a leak. Not when quietly parked and charging.

I also believe when these EV's start to age we will be seeing many more instances. Remember only about 4% of cars in the world are EV's. And they are not the age of gasoline cars.

EV's are going to have a long hard road and many obstacles to overcome.
            Last edited by Frenzy36; 06-23-2022, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Depends on the "ratio" you are using. You can't just compare EV fires vs. ICE fires. You have to break down the percentage of EV autos on the road and ICE vehicles and then make a comparison. I looked for this data a few months ago and came up empty.

Comment

I'm sure if Tesla's start spontaneous Fires, that will be a Bad thing for Tesla and the public.

I'm at the stage of my life where an EV for me will be a Just-Around-Town vehicle, not much different than my C8.

I will always have a Gas Vehicle, but Fires, Blowouts or running out of Gas/Charge will always be possible for either the ICE or EV.
                Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

From KBB.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-e...est-car-fires/

Electric cars have been subject to several high-profile recalls over fire risk. Yet, a new study shows they are less likely to cause a vehicle fire than either gas-powered cars or hybrid vehicles.

Analysts from AutoInsuranceEZ examined data from the National Transportation Safety Board to track the number of car fires and compared it to sales data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The result? Hybrid-powered cars were involved in about 3,475 fires per every 100,000 sold. Gasoline-powered cars, about 1,530. Electric vehicles (EVs) saw just 25 fires per 100,000 sold.

There is some logic to the results. After all, gasoline-powered cars depend on combustion to move. The energy transfer electric cars use to move doesn’t involve anything burning.

Researchers also tallied fire-related recalls filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2020. Gasoline-powered cars were subject to far more recalls for fire risk. EVs came in second and hybrids were a distant third that year. However, we should caution that limiting recall research to 2020 means the analysts missed most of last year’s escalating series of Chevy Bolt fire recalls.
                  Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

One of the issues with lithium batteries is that damage can occur internally while showing no outside evidence of it. This car was in an accident and I'd bet your salary that the batteries were damaged in the crash, but no one knew it, or at least they didn't look for it. Battery raw materials, disposal of spent battery packs, incorrect charging voltage applied, grid demand are all issues no one even talks about. I believe this EV trend is going to present a lot of problems the promoters of EV automobiles had not even considered. I'm all for it with commuters cars and local delivery vehicles, but this large scale conversion at one time being shoved down our throats by environmentalists is not going to work. The market (demand) and technology should be the only driving factors in the development and usefulness of EV cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                      One of the issues with lithium batteries is that damage can occur internally while showing no outside evidence of it. This car was in an accident and I'd bet your salary that the batteries were damaged in the crash, but no one knew it, or at least they didn't look for it. Battery raw materials, disposal of spent battery packs, incorrect charging voltage applied, grid demand are all issues no one even talks about. I believe this EV trend is going to present a lot of problems the promoters of EV automobiles had not even considered. I'm all for it with commuters cars and local delivery vehicles, but this large scale conversion at one time being shoved down our throats by environmentalists is not going to work. The market (demand) and technology should be the only driving factors in the development and usefulness of EV cars.
                      Can't the same type of Damage happen to a Gas Line or a Gas Tank?

My point is, a hose leak, or a spark in the wrong place can cause Explosions at any time.

Comment

Can't the same type of Damage happen to a Gas Line or a Gas Tank?

My point is, a hose leak, or a spark in the wrong place can cause Explosions at any time.
                        You are 100% correct - however most gasoline powered vehicles only start a fire when being driven. not sitting in your garage unattended. The gasoline odor if there is a leak will cue you in immediately there is an issue you can correct. This is one of the biggest issues I can see with EV's. Again also there are much older gasoline powered vehicles than the fairly new EV's. Time will tell - I will watch how it all unfolds. EV's just not something I wish to buy into at this time.
                        Fortunately we will still have a choice for Many Years to come.

Comment

My Brother-in-Law has owned (2) Tesla's, Garaged for more than 8 years

I've own Gas Power Cars, Boats and Lawnmowers for more than 45 years.

NO FIRES ... Ever 😁

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X