MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Reveal Countdown Clock! Official 4/26 GM C8 News. Finally, 7.18.19 Orange County Reveal Location Is Announced!

See more
See less

Show & Tell - First car, what did you start out with and tell us a little about it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first car was a 66 AMC Rambler. Had lots of engine problems, vacuum wipers wouldn't work. Traded it in for a Nissan Sentre. Wish I still had it!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	53673712_5059879527839_Original.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	29361

Comment

Funny story about my parent’s Rambler Classic that they would let me sometimes take for a date. It is true that the seat would fold down flat. Yes, great for a date. We were barely lower middle class at that time, but I had some friends with wealthy parents. My friend George’s Dad had a brand new R3 Supercharged Avanti. However, there was a certain charm, or should I say “need” for George and his girlfriend to borrow the Rambler Classic (and will leave the rest of that story to your imagination). So literally about every few weeks, George and I would meet, and my girlfriend and would drive off in the Avanti while George and his girlfriend would drive off to “Lovers Lane.”

I loved that Avanti. And no more of the “rest of this story” shall be told here in this family friendly forum.
      Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Funny story about my parent’s Rambler Classic that they would let me sometimes take for a date. It is true that the seat would fold down flat. Yes, great for a date. We were barely lower middle class at that time, but I had some friends with wealthy parents. My friend George’s Dad had a brand new R3 Supercharged Avanti. However, there was a certain charm, or should I say “need” for George and his girlfriend to borrow the Rambler Classic (and will leave the rest of that story to your imagination). So literally about every few weeks, George and I would meet, and my girlfriend and would drive off in the Avanti while George and his girlfriend would drive off to “Lovers Lane.”

I loved that Avanti. And no more of the “rest of this story” shall be told here in this family friendly forum.
        How’d you like the Avanti?
        There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
        2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
        79 coupe Silver/oyster
        All one owner
        Museum lifetime members

Comment

I still have a soft spot for it. If I win the lottery, first and foremost would be a ‘63 split window. Second would be the Avanti. But buying either is way behind getting a C8 in the priority list.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by Benplace View Post
            My first car was a 66 AMC Rambler. Had lots of engine problems, vacuum wipers wouldn't work. Traded it in for a Nissan Sentre. Wish I still had it!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	53673712_5059879527839_Original.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	29361
            Good old AMC shows up. That was what I bought with some of the profit I made on the Vega sale. Not the Rambler, but a 73 Javelin. I was always doing something to that but when it ran, it was a fast machine... for the time.

Comment

My parents had a '62 Rambler Custom Classic in that same green, but with a light green two tone roof. A two-door for security, so my brother and I could open the doors while the car was in motion. My dad wanted it with a padded dash for "safety," but when delivered from another dealer it had a painted metal dash. So the dealer installed front seat belts at no extra cost. Probably the first car with seat belts in Maryland.

My "favorite" feature was the push button automatic transmission, with the buttons to the left of the steering column on the dash. I wasn't old enough to drive, but I remember my older brother putting it in first, mashing the gas pedal to the floor, waiting while the car slowing gained speed until the engine was screaming for mercy, and then mashing the "2nd" button. A second or two later it would finally shift.

A performance car it was not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4b383fdc5d5a45b72386633588b9453e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	29399
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

At the time the avantis were stunningly beautiful cars. Even decades later they are quite attractive. My wife tends to need little fixes on her cars over the years and the body shop owner has 10 avantis including a supercharged from the factory car.r

always makes me smile when I see an old rambler or avanti...great photos

Comment

If I remember this correctly (and I think I do), Studebaker advertised at that time that the R3 Supercharged Avanti was guaranteed to go 140 MPH or they would buy it back. That was screaming fast in 1963/64.

Comment

Long before they made cars, Studebaker was a major manufacturer of horse drawn wagons and carriages.

When I was in high school, somebody I knew had a Studebaker Lark. It only got driven in town, and the engine combustion chambers must have been full of carbon When he would try to shut down the engine, it just kept going. I used to kid him that his car was so eager to run, it refused to shut down. He would have to put it in gear, and let out the clutch with his foot on the brake to get the engine to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                      Long before they made cars, Studebaker was a major manufacturer of horse drawn wagons and carriages.

When I was in high school, somebody I knew had a Studebaker Lark. It only got driven in town, and the engine combustion chambers must have been full of carbon When he would try to shut down the engine, it just kept going. I used to kid him that his car was so eager to run, it refused to shut down. He would have to put it in gear, and let out the clutch with his foot on the brake to get the engine to stop.
                      That's funny, the lemans was notorious for dieseling as I walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        If I remember this correctly (and I think I do), Studebaker advertised at that time that the R3 Supercharged Avanti was guaranteed to go 140 MPH or they would buy it back. That was screaming fast in 1963/64.
                        I also seem to remember something about one flipping end over end and staying together.
                        There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                        2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                        79 coupe Silver/oyster
                        All one owner
                        Museum lifetime members

Comment

The lightweight Studebaker Lark had not just a V8, but was supercharged available, its R2 version. My uncle who had heretofore only has 120 HP cars, inadvertently bought one when his car died and he needed another one for work “tomorrow,” so bought the only Lark available at his small town dealer (thinking it was another 120 HP version). Was he ever surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            always makes me smile when I see an old rambler or avanti...great photos
                            On vacation last year, my wife and I met a couple whose parents (both sets) owned car dealerships. His family owned an American motors franchise, hers a Studebaker dealer. She still has one of the original Avantis her father owned, and is slowly restoring it. She said her girlfriends just don't understand. After Christmas they were all saying things like "I got new boots," or "I got a diamond necklace." And she'd say "I got a new alternator!"

Sounds like our kind of woman!
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

On vacation last year, my wife and I met a couple whose parents (both sets) owned car dealerships. His family owned an American motors franchise, hers a Studebaker dealer. She still has one of the original Avantis her father owned, and is slowly restoring it. She said her girlfriends just don't understand. After Christmas they were all saying things like "I got new boots," or "I got a diamond necklace." And she'd say "I got a new alternator!"

Sounds like our kind of woman!
                              Fingers crossed, my 21 year old twins both have the car bug! Proud PaPa!!!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X