Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast # 41: News & Headlines

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com connect to bring you up to date on the latest news in the world of Corvette! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...ry-2021-epbab4  Here are just a few of the topics discussed in this podcast:
1.  GM Vice President, Steve Hill, says most C8 buyers are new to the Corvette Brand and wealthier than C7 customers.
2.  The high wing spoiler for C8 is available again on Chevrolet.com
3.  The first 1967 L88 sells for $2.5m at the Mecum Auction/Kissimmee
4  Laura Wontrop Klauser is named as Sports Car Racing Program Manager
5. The 2021 race season begins for Corvette Racing at Daytona with new lineup
6. New C8.R driver, Nick Tandy, says the C8 is more stable than the Porsche 911 RSR
7.  A man wins Corvette in the Georgia Lottery, but can’t get one from a local dealer
8.  A 2019 C7 ZR1 run the quarter mile in 9.592 seconds!
9.  Lingenfelter introduces a lowering kit for C8
2 of 3 < >

We have started a monthly PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST WITH PRIZE MONEY!

3 of 3 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

O.K. , Please Explain To Me The Appeal Of Black Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	19535A5F-4391-4D31-AB27-B19DE23037A1.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	211933 Click image for larger version

Name:	6D42E3AC-2272-4FCB-A2BB-E3CABC9D7FB8.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	211934
    I loved my C7 with custom gray top and chrome wheels. But black wheels finished my C8. IMO
    Torch Red Z51, 3LT, Lift, Transparent Top, Black Trident, Red/Black 2 Tone-seats, Mag, Carbon Flash wing and mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by Capper525 View Post
      I loved my C7 with custom gray top and chrome wheels. But black wheels finished my C8. IMO
      The red calipers pop through the black also!
      Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
      2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
      Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
      3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
        In matters of personal preference, no one should be required to "explain" or "defend" their preference. It is why Howard Johnson used to have 28 flavors.

Just be glad we have choices.
        Ray
        I don't think it's not a matter of "having to explain or defend.

I'm sure that you have to agree we are just exchanging views and opinions on a forum that might be of some value or interest to a potential buyer in the near or distant future.

I've re-read the posts several times, and at this point I'm still not swayed towards black wheels, but I certainly appreciate and respect the views for black wheels that have been presented.
        Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
        Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
        Home 08/10/20

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post

I don't think it's not a matter of "having to explain or defend.
          Youi can insult me. You can insult my wife! But NEVER NEVER EVER insult my car! LOL
          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

They make a nice contrast with shiny rotors and bright painted calipers. And on a dark color car, add to the "Batmobile" appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM
              ps.
              A lot of Americans don’t understand our Canadian sense ( or lack of ) of humour!
              I do; last time I was up there I spotted a beautiful '59 Mercury convertible in a parking lot. It appeared as though there was enough sheet metal to build a Canadian Frigate! The personalized plates read... "BIG AH".
              '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
              '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
              '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
              '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
              '14 Black Z51 Coupe
              '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
              '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

Do i need to close this thread because of some people’s personal opinions about other’s choices about wheels? I surely hope not.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

All in good fun, I'm sure.

Comment

For years I’ve looked at black wheel shod vehicles and have honestly tried to find the appeal.

Having no success at this, I put myself in the hands of black wheel connoisseurs, and ask to please kindly explain to me what I’m failing to see.
                    I think it largely depends on the vehicle, the color, the other trim details on the car, brake calipers, etc.
                    • I had black powder coated wheels on my 996 Turbo and did not like the look at all, went to dark grey.
                    • I have black wheels on my 991 Turbo and can't imagine it without them.
                    • I ordered my C8 HTC (Elkhart Blue) with silver wheels, but only because I didn't like the machined lip of the factory black option and plan on having them powder coated black or dark grey.

Do you honestly think the car below would look better with silver wheels?

Name:	Drive Oct 3 2020 - 7 copy.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	212001
                    Upcoming: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, Status 4300
                    Current: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post

I think it largely depends on the vehicle, the color, the other trim details on the car, brake calipers, etc.
                      • I had black powder coated wheels on my 996 Turbo and did not like the look at all, went to dark grey.
                      • I have black wheels on my 991 Turbo and can't imagine it without them.
                      • I ordered my C8 HTC (Elkhart Blue) with silver wheels, but only because I didn't like the machined lip of the factory black option and plan on having them powder coated black or dark grey.

Do you honestly think the car below would look better with silver wheels?

Name:	Drive Oct 3 2020 - 7 copy.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	212001
                      Your photo presents one powerful argument for black wheels on that beautiful Porche, but in all fairness, since you asked the question, I would like to see the same car without the sun reflecting off the spokes.
                      I'm 100% in agreement with meyerweb that black wheels disappear into the wheel wells, and I think that could be the case with this car on a cloudy day.

I sat on the fence for a long time after my Sterling Blue C7 Grand Sport arrived with chromed ten spoked wheels until my wife told me one day how magnificent the car looked coming down the street with wheels all ablaze and sparkling.

Now really, isn't that what it's all about!!
                      Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
                      Home 08/10/20

Comment

I would like to see the same car without the sun reflecting off the spokes.

I'm 100% in agreement with meyerweb that black wheels disappear into the wheel wells, and I think that could be the case with this car on a cloudy day.
                        Fair enough... The 996 turbo with black wheels definitely had that 'disappearing into the wheel wells' problem.

But I think the larger wheels (20" vs 18"), thinner spoke style, huge 410/390mm carbon ceramic rotors, yellow calipers, and the centerlock hub details give the 991with black wheels a great look in all lighting.

A few examples:

996 Turbo with 'disappearing black wheel syndrome'. Not a great look! Car came with these wheels and I hated them.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Turbo Cozens Ridge - 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	212036

Same car, same wheels, but in silver. Better, but still not great. Sorry, not a great picture.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	turbo silver wheels - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	527.5 KB ID:	212037

Same car, anthracite wheels, perfection!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	212038

And a few other shots of the 991...

In motion... Black looks awesome!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	side shot in motion.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.7 KB ID:	212039

Flat, unflattering light where the black wheels might disappear if not for the open spokes and huge brakes/rotors.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	drive 8-22-20 - 2 (1) copy.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	212040
                        Last edited by pfbz; 11-27-2020, 07:53 PM.
                        Upcoming: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, Status 4300
                        Current: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Originally posted by pfbz View Post

Fair enough... The 996 turbo with black wheels definitely had that 'disappearing into the wheel wells' problem.

But I think the larger wheels (20" vs 18"), thinner spoke style, huge 410/390mm carbon ceramic rotors, yellow calipers, and the centerlock hub details give the 991with black wheels a great look in all lighting.

A few examples:

996 Turbo with 'disappearing black wheel syndrome'. Not a great look! Car came with these wheels and I hated them.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	Turbo Cozens Ridge - 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	212036

Same car, same wheels, but in silver. Better, but still not great. Sorry, not a great picture.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	turbo silver wheels - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	527.5 KB ID:	212037

Same car, anthracite wheels, perfection!
                          Click image for larger version Name:	A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	212038

And a few other shots of the 991...

In motion... Black looks awesome!
                          Click image for larger version Name:	side shot in motion.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.7 KB ID:	212039

Flat, unflattering light where the black wheels might disappear if not for the open spokes and huge brakes/rotors.
                          Click image for larger version Name:	drive 8-22-20 - 2 (1) copy.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	212040
                          Agreed, the anthracite wheels look spectacular and will probably get C8 owners in the black wheel camp thinking.

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

Home 08/10/20

Comment

Those anthracite wheels would be fabulous on the 991 IMO, but a beautiful car either way. Your 996 was also gorgeous with those wheels!
                            '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                            '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                            '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

Your photo presents one powerful argument for black wheels on that beautiful Porche, but in all fairness, since you asked the question, I would like to see the same car without the sun reflecting off the spokes.
                              What....no comments US CANAM on my torch red grand sport with the black wheels I posted? I’m hurt I tell you...hurt! (Emphasis mine in bold/italics/underlines)
                              2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                                Do i need to close this thread because of some people’s personal opinions about other’s choices about wheels? I surely hope not.
                                Well Jack didn’t even respond to my torch red grand sport with those beautiful black wheels on COTA no less, so yes* you may have to as my feelings are deeply hurt.

* just kidding
                                2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X