Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast # 41: News & Headlines

Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com connect to bring you up to date on the latest news in the world of Corvette! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...ry-2021-epbab4  Here are just a few of the topics discussed in this podcast:
1.  GM Vice President, Steve Hill, says most C8 buyers are new to the Corvette Brand and wealthier than C7 customers.
2.  The high wing spoiler for C8 is available again on Chevrolet.com
3.  The first 1967 L88 sells for $2.5m at the Mecum Auction/Kissimmee
4  Laura Wontrop Klauser is named as Sports Car Racing Program Manager
5. The 2021 race season begins for Corvette Racing at Daytona with new lineup
6. New C8.R driver, Nick Tandy, says the C8 is more stable than the Porsche 911 RSR
7.  A man wins Corvette in the Georgia Lottery, but can’t get one from a local dealer
8.  A 2019 C7 ZR1 run the quarter mile in 9.592 seconds!
9.  Lingenfelter introduces a lowering kit for C8
2 of 3 < >

We have started a monthly PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST WITH PRIZE MONEY!

3 of 3 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

O.K. , Please Explain To Me The Appeal Of Black Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.K. , Please Explain To Me The Appeal Of Black Wheels

The purpose of this post is to definitely not disparage any forum member for their desire to have black wheels on their car, especially since I have 22 inch black wheels on my daily driver.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A6A6AAA3-4E78-4B06-843B-7A0969A1E9C8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	211686
    However, the black wheels were not my choice and were part of the package, but considering the potential deal I could get on the car, the decision was made to take the deal and do something with the wheels in the future. This was done by adding the red stripe.

My personal feeling when I see a car with black wheels, it reminds me of a car that has full size hubcaps, and they are missing exposing the steel black wheels.
    It also appears that the owner spends a lot of money for a beautifully designed black wheel, and the wheel shape gets lost in the vehicles dark wheel opening.

For years I’ve looked at black wheel shod vehicles and have honestly tried to find the appeal.

Having no success at this, I put myself in the hands of black wheel connoisseurs, and ask to please kindly explain to me what I’m failing to see.

Maybe you’ll be able to create a convert!

Thanks in advance!
    Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
    Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
    Home 08/10/20

I am with you, that if everyone one else is loving their black wheels, happiness to them. My personal lack of love for them is that under more than a few conditions, it is hard to see where the wheels end and the tires start — but maybe that is what I am missing and what is their appeal.

I certainly understand the “murdered” look that many have pursued with everything except the windows being black — but again that is not my personal preference.

Isn’t it nice we have so many choices!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Don’t show brake dust as much? Don’t have them so don’t really know.

Comment

Black wheels used to remind me of black steelies without the plastic hubcaps, but not for a long time now. I no longer associate them with steelies anymore. However, I do agree that the details/shape of black wheels can very easily get lost unless the light is hitting them directly. The finish is also a factor. Satin or matte black actually seem to show the shape better than gloss or black ice. The gloss and black ice's reflections tend to break up and 'confuse' the actual wheel shape. Glossy black wheels show up brake dust as well (from my own observations). Brake dust is not black (although it looks like that on your fingers) and shows up against black wheels as grey. Dark grey/gunmetal wheels hide brake dust the best.

At the other end of the spectrum, I don't like polished, silver or chrome wheels on a modern sports car. I think my taste has been influenced by the past decade or so of supercar images from McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini etc, which often feature dark wheels.

Personally, I like something dark, but not quite as dark as black, so some shades of anthracite or gunmetal (on my current car) still allow the shape of the wheel to be seen. I have not made my mind up for aftermarket wheels for my Sebring Orange C8 (which I'm still waiting for). I actually like the stock carbon flash black wheels with polished lip. The polished lip helps set it apart from other black wheels. The finish I'm leaning more towards is double tinted black (the Vossen HF3, specifically). Double tinted black surfaces are basically polished (silver) machined surfaces with a dark translucent tint, so that you can still make out the details of the wheel. For me, I think that's a good compromise if you like black wheels but still want the shape to show.

I certainly agree with John that it's nice to have so many choices to meet our personal preferences!
        Last edited by shiumai; 11-26-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

USCANAM, I used to think just like you about black wheels. However, I found that black wheels with machined accents changed the whole look. That is why I chose the CF 5 spoke design on my C8. The entire "personality" of the car changes when going from the stock silver 5 spoke rims to CF.

So, while I have changed my definitive views on black wheels, I will never understand the allure of stripes....never.

Comment

Originally posted by C8broughtmeback View Post
            USCANAM, I used to think just like you about black wheels. However, I found that black wheels with machined accents changed the whole look. That is why I chose the CF 5 spoke design on my C8. The entire "personality" of the car changes when going from the stock silver 5 spoke rims to CF.

So, while I have changed my definitive views on black wheels, I will never understand the allure of stripes....never.
            I'm with you.
            Body coloured accents would be totally different. Even a dark gray car with black accents might make it a valid argument.
            To me with all the CF or black accents it makes much more sense to have black wheels. Silver looks out of place. Like chrome trim on todays cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	211697
            Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
            2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
            Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
            3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I do not care for black wheels. [Would also prefer some white or light color design or circle on the tires. If I could]

I've seen a few C8s in the wild with black wheels. Once I notice the black wheels I tend to stop looking. Black wheels. Why not just splatter a bucket of mud on the car and ride proud. Save the money. But that's just me. Some folks are crazy about it. But. Black wheels? Why?

Back in the day, I liked a black shirt and black tie with my black suit. Different! Used to roll like dat! With a stink cigar, too. Hat on the most imperfect twist. Rolling, rollin, rolin. Diamond in the back. Sunroof top. Mean in the chine with a gangsta lean. Wooo!

So. The black wheels? Style. Identity. Youthful. Self expression. Ugly as sin.

Look like Mike Tyson's boxing shoes.
              Last edited by SheepDog; 11-26-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

C8
                I agree with you the machined accents improve the appearance of the wheel.

I’m assuming by “stripes” you’re referring to the Rim Savers.
                While the Rim Savers cannot take anything more than a slight blow, they will protect the rim from that slight blow at a cost of $20 and an hours time to replace per wheel.

And as John pointed out in reference to where you can’t tell where the wheel ends and the tire starts, the stripe will help separate the wheel from the tire.
                So in this case the stripe is serving a dual purpose.

Thank you for your input.

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
                Home 08/10/20

Comment

No, I meant stripes on the body of the car. For the life of me, I don't get the appeal....visual or otherwise.

Comment

No, I meant stripes on the body of the car. For the life of me, I don't get the appeal....visual or otherwise.
                    Stems from the early racing days.
                    American cars were supposed to be white with blue stripes.
                    My 1954 Triumph TR2 when I was racing it in 1957 was black. I had white stripes painted on it.
                    I agree, it looked like a skunk!! Probably matched my driving😕
                    Cape Cod Taxachusetts

Home 08/10/20

Comment

Name:	5C2B9D00-4291-493C-A1D1-6AC22EA52B66.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	587.0 KB
ID:	211708

The appeal of black wheels is shows much less brake dust than silver wheels meaning less cleaning and if you scrape a wheel in a pothole on the road or rub a curb parking..you just take out a little black touch up and you can never see the damage.

black wheels are really tough to photograph well as the entire wheel well makes the wheel itself look lost quite often. Black wheels can be photographed well but its a **** shoot unless you are a really good photographer.

im enjoying the standard silver wheel on my c8 right now and eventually will find a set of blacked out rims to use for summer tires while I keep the silver rims for snows .

being able to switch back and forth for the seasons gives a different look which is cool too.

Comment

My C8 has the carbon flash painted wheels with machined edge. Its the first car I've owned with black wheels. My car is Blade Silver and the black wheels go exceptionally good with Blade Silver. So with the black accents on the Blade Silver with the Black wheels I have an excellent contrast which looks gorgeous (IMO).

My C7 was Blade Silver as well but had the stock silver wheels. Black wheels were not even an option when I ordered My 2014 C7 in Dec 2013. I always thought my C7 would have looked better with black wheels and many folks tended to agree. Since they were available for the C8 I opted for it. The dark transparent roof also adds to the great contrast!

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8photo2.png Views:	0 Size:	862.5 KB ID:	211731

Comment

I had an all black C7 in early '14 and people went nuts for it. So many thumbs up I lost track. However, after one year of taking care of it...never again.

Name:	654137A9-C970-4E8D-9FC4-A3CCBEABE16D_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	211753 Click image for larger version

Name:	30614E6B-FD16-4521-91FF-A95DA90F0EB0_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	211754
                          IMO, nice black wheels are the only way to go on a black sports car...but only on black.
                          '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                          '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                          '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                          '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                          '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                          '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                          '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels - Delivered 10/1/20😀

Comment

Agree with US CanAm completely. To each his own, but to me a car with black wheels looks like it has 4 holes where the wheels should be. Black chrome finishes, with their greater reflectivity work better, but I still think I prefer bright wheels.
                            Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Awaiting allocation: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I drove to many Patrol vehicles in my career to won't black wheels on my C8. Call me old school I wish they offered a chrome wheel package.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X