MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today With Keith Cornett: Latest Corvette News

Even though we're into the holiday season, there's still a lot of Corvette news! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-en2b43 Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com fill you in on what's going on.  Here are a few of the headlines discussed in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY:
1.  First pictures of the new right-hand-drive C8 Corvette headed to Japan
2. Lawsuit with GM about cracked Corvette Grand Sport wheels has been dismissed
3. C8 Corvette named to Car & Driver’s annual “10 Best” list for 2nd year in a row.
4. 2020 C8 Corvette goes on sale in the Middle East
5. Final production stats for the 2020 C8 announced
6. Nick Tandy to replace Oliver Gavin on Corvette Racing Team
7. Chevrolet celebrates IMSA championships with new commercial
8. The ’63 Split Window makes Hagerty’s list of coupes worth more than their convertible siblings
9. Procharger teases of a supercharged C8 Corvette
10. OnStar thwarts the theft of a 2020 C8 Corvette
Happy Holidays!
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

1586 Miles in 2 Days. C8 Trip Half Over. An Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1586 Miles in 2 Days. C8 Trip Half Over. An Evaluation

The C8 is an Autobahn car, a waste on the Interstate, but that's what we have to live with.

For about the fiftieth time in the last 27 years, we have traveled the East Coast from Cape Cod to Florida to participate in various baseball tournaments in Ft Meyers in November and January.
    Always made the trip in a Corvette; C4, C5, C7, C8. The C5 got the majority of the calls. A major portion of the 163,000 miles on my 1997 were up and down the East Coast.
    Never once had a mechanical breakdown.
    Of course you know 1997 was the first year of a completely re-designed Corvette.

We departed the Cape at 1:45 am with a planned quick lunch stop in Virginia with VA_Bill and his gorgeous new LBR C8.
    An overnight stay just outside of Charlotte that night, and arrived in Ft. Meyers at 5 pm the next day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8 trip -1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	209799
    In over 200,000 miles of these trips, we have never had a speeding ticket.
    I attribute this to adhering to Jack's Speeding Rules; never exceed 10% of the posted speed limit, and when speed limit is 70, never exceed 75 mph.

It is very tempting to compete and join with the general flow of traffic, but when you're driving an exotic car, the LEO's like exotic cars especially if there's a quota to be met.

Especially now, a yellow one. The only other color probably more attention-getting would be Lime Green.

Even so, an average speed of 64.9 mph is respectable even though the first 200 miles of the trip is I-95 through some slow areas of Connecticut and New York.

The best fuel mileage I ever got was my 2015 1LT C7, which had no aero drag fitting and a highway geared rear axle. It got around 35 mpg at similar speeds to the C8.
    3 trips in the 2017 Grand Sport was very similar to the C8.

Why worry about fuel mileage when you're driving a Corvette? Why not, everyone loves efficiency, but another valid reason is fewer stops for fuel, makes for less traveling time.

Comfort: We have the GT2 seats, which seem very similar to the seats in the C7s.
    I'm now about 5,10" and in the range of 175 pounds. Not a lot of meat to act as additional padding in the buttocks area.

It takes me approximately 24 hours of driving on these trips, and I always do them in 2 days which equates to 12 hours days.
    I have on several occasions driven the trip non-stop, especially going home when I'm "moteled out", with only a few 5-minute cat-naps along the way.

I would have to say the most comfortable seats for those long driving spells were the C5's.
    My usual routine in the C5 would be a 1000 miles the first day, and 600 miles the second. Upon exiting the C5 after the 1000 miles, immediately I would be aware of the lack of stiffness or soreness.

Can't quite say this about the C8. While the initial feeling upon strapping into the cockpit of the C8 is tightness and security, after many many hours of sitting there it becomes apparent that you do need some room to shift the pressure points around.

Now, don't take this too seriously, because not a lot of drivers push the limits of endurance like I do, and in all honesty, I would say the seats are just fine for 97% of C8 drivers.

Roadability; At the speeds I travel at a Smart Car would suffice.

Interior noise; One good thing about wearing hearing aids is, I don't have to wear them while driving, but the odd time I do when I put on the radio to listen to a talk show. The noise level was good, 1000% better than the tire whine on the Grand Sport.
    Had no problem talking to my wife via the hands-free even without hearing aids activated.

As mentioned in a previous post, luggage space is a problem.
    My wife could not have made this trip with me because she would not have had a place to sit, nor room for any luggage. My baseball equipment bag is slightly smaller than a golf bag, and it took up about 70% of the trunk space.
    Never a problem with the 5, or 7s. C5 has the largest cargo area.

Joy of driving; Cannot expound on what's been previously noted through numerous posts.

Saleability: Have 2 email addresses from people who want first chance at car if I want to sell it.

Ceramic Coating; Not sure about that. After 12 hours of rain, the car was quite grimy when I got to Florida.
    Found a DIY car wash, and dirt and grime did not come off the way I was led to believe it would.
    Especially the wheel barrels. Thought they would be all clean after the high-pressure soap I did several times to each wheel. They will need removal when home to clean them properly.
    I did find the creases and weird shape of the sides of the car, really attract a lot of dirt. Thought this would all come clean with the high-pressure soap and foaming brush, but once again I think the Ceramic Coat is letting me down.
    My apologies to some readers that just read that I used a foaming brush on my car. Relax, it's just a car. Let's say I was testing the Ceramic Coating for hardness!

Auto temperature control worked well, but not pleased with having to take eyes off the road continually to find the defroster button on the buttress. Had to do this numerous times because of sporadic rain.

Overall, we're looking forward to the ride home tomorrow.
    We made the semi-finals, but the team we're playing in the morning wiped the field with us the first time we played them. So, I'm figuring we'll be on the way home by about 1 pm.

However, It will be a departure in a C8 after saying goodbye to a great bunch of guys, all at, or over 75 years of age, that stood at their foul line before every game, hat over heart while our National Anthem played.

Am I'm sure that at one time, every player did as I did, looked down, and gave thanks that we were on this side of the grass and living in this great countirry.
    Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
    Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks,
    Home 08/10/20

Great and honest write-up! I also agree with you on the overrated ceramic coatings. Good luck with your C8.

Comment

Classic Jack! Next year give me an address and I’ll send some hot sauce for the team.
      2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Originally posted by Ateupjoe View Post
        Classic Jack! Next year give me an address and I’ll send some hot sauce for the team.
        Bryan.
        I should have thought of that!!
        Sure could have used some to wake up some of us!

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
        Home 08/10/20

Comment

Great review. Safe travels my friend.
          Delivered 9/5/2020: 2LT C8 Coupe, Long Beach Red, Z51, FE4 Suspension, E60 Lift, Spectra Gray Tridents, GT1 Seats, Jet Black Interior, Splash Guards

Comment

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. Happy and safe remainder of your trip home!
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post
              The C8 is an Autobahn car, a waste on the Interstate, but that's what we have to live with.

Comfort: We have the GT2 seats, which seem very similar to the seats in the C7s.
              I'm now about 5,10" and in the range of 175 pounds. Not a lot of meat to act as additional padding in the buttocks area.
              I'm of similar build with more padding. I would get a sore left thigh in the C7 seats from the lack of padding above the seat controls. Not a problem in the C8. A friend that is a test driver with over 10k miles on C8's confirmed this. I also notice the improvement in leg room that allows for shifting of leg position on extended drives.

At what facility was your tournament? We attended a Tiger game at JetBlue Park at Fenway South last spring. Beautiful facility.
              3LT; GMO Rapid Blue; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 Performance Package; E60 lift.

Home is Leelanau County in northwest lower Michigan where almost every road is paved, hilly and curvy. Many roads provide great views of Lake Michigan since it surrounds us on three sides.

Comment

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post
                Bryan.
                I should have thought of that!!
                Sure could have used some to wake up some of us!

Ok Jack you got me thinking......how does one join such a league? Sounds like a great event and lots of fun!
                2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

[QUOTE
                  Ok Jack you got me thinking......how does one join such a league? Sounds like a great event and lots of fun![/QUOTE]

Bryon
                  Thanks for asking.
                  I love to help promote Roy Hobbs because I truly believe it is an activity so beneficial to an older generation of men who at one time thought that life was over at 50.

Here is a link to Roy Hobbs

https://royhobbs.com/world-series/

Go to About Us for a truly representative description and purpose of Roy Hobbs.
                  But, here are a few words from that section;

Every fall, more than 10,000 baseball players (and their families) on 240 teams flock to Fort Myers to play in Roy Hobbs Baseball’s annual World Series. They come to celebrate the great game of baseball, perhaps recapture their youth and engage in two great American pastimes – baseball and capitalism.

They come for the games and camaraderie, the fun and the competition, the sunshine, green grass and swaying palms of Southwest Florida.

This year, we found ourselves along with 4 other good friends, the subject of an article in the Daily Newsletter that also reflects how I'm fighting the inevitable old age right down to the last pitch!

https://royhobbs.com/wp-content/uplo...P-11-16-20.pdf

I mentioned Roy Hobbs to an old friend that played ball in his youth, coached in later years, and now this is his second year of playing in the tournament.

This is a massive undertaking that involves 12 months of planning and is so beneficial to the players, the local youth because of the Roy Hobbs Foundation, and the community because of the influx of revenue and employment.

Hey, maybe we'll see a MECF team someday!!

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

Home 08/10/20

Comment

Originally posted by JDN View Post

I'm of similar build with more padding. I would get a sore left thigh in the C7 seats from the lack of padding above the seat controls. Not a problem in the C8. A friend that is a test driver with over 10k miles on C8's confirmed this. I also notice the improvement in leg room that allows for shifting of leg position on extended drives.

At what facility was your tournament? We attended a Tiger game at JetBlue Park at Fenway South last spring. Beautiful facility.
                    JDN

The tournament is so massive, it is necessary to use all the diamonds in the Ft. Meyers area.

Ft. Meyers is home in the Spring to the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins.

Home facility for the tournament is the PDC, Player Development Center, which years ago was the first week home for the Red Sox, then they moved down the street to City of Palms Stadium for the balance of Spring Training. Then it became home for the minor league players for the rest of the Spring.

Terry Park is on the Historical Register and existed since the 1920's. Hosts to many Spring training teams and many Hall of Famers have trained there including Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb.

The parks used this year were.

PDC ; 5 fields,
                    Terry Park; Stadium plus 4 fields,
                    City of Palms; Stadium (slated for destruction??), plus 2 fields
                    Jet Blue Park; Stadium plus 6 fields
                    Century Link Park; Stadium plus 6 fields

Reference to fields means, they are regular sized baseball fields, but no seating for spectators.

A story about Jet Blue Stadium.

For the readers that might not be aware, Jet Blue Stadium in Ft, Meyers has an exact outfield replica of Fenway Park outfield complete with the Monster Wall, and all similar dimensions.

The first time we played there several years ago, we were allowed to park our cars outside the stadium near center field. Then they allowed us to enter the field through a door in the center field wall that opened out to the field.
                    I walked through that door, then just stood there looking towards home plate. I then turned around and looked up at the center field wall, and thought to myself, "man, that sure is a long way to hit a ball for a home run!!

Guess that's why they get paid the big bucks!!

Cape Cod Taxachusetts

Home 08/10/20

Comment

An informative and interesting read Jack! Enjoyed the Daily Newsletter write-up as well. Safe and uneventful ride back home.
                      Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
                      Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
                      Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
                      blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X