'19+ Audi TT RS or '21 C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '19+ Audi TT RS or '21 C8?

I'd like to ask for the group's opinions on something I'm contemplating, and that is buying a used ('19+) Audi TT RS now, or wait until approximately next Summer when my expected allocation on a new '21 C8 Corvette will be ready for delivery. I'm guessing a '19 Audi TT RS would be in the low $60K range up to $70K. The C8, the way I would configure it, would be between $80K to $85K. I would be very interested in hearing your opinions on the positives and negatives of each car buying decision. Both are very quick and fast cars, and offer superlative handling. Tech features are great for both, though I believe will have the newer and more innovative bells and whistles. TT RS is somewhat unique and has great cargo space, and is a good DD as well. I have previously owned three Audis ('05 S4, '15 S4 Stage II, and '18 S5), and one Corvette ('19 GS). But I'm a car guy, also having owned many other high performance cars (most notably a couple of Nissan GT-Rs, Maserati Granturismo Sport, Lotus Evora 400, three V Cadillacs). I know I'm going to receive some biased opinions, as I'm in a Corvette group. But hopefully I will receive some unbiased ones. Part of me wants to wait the almost one more year for the C8, and the other says, no, get the car you want now. Thanks!

Buying a 2019 TT RS now will be a great decision. They are wonderful and fun vehicles. You will enjoy it greatly until that day (mid next summer, let’s say August 1st) were to arrive.

Then from August 1st on, every time you see a C8 especially one in your color, you will kick yourself in the *** for not having the patience to get the car that you really wanted.

The Audi TTRS while being a fantastic car, in car terms is old technology. And starting August 1 on you will ask yourself every time you see or think of a C8, can I now take the depreciation on the Audi by selling it, t and buying the C8 my heart wants.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Similar to your having owned some great cars I have found in the past that the thrill and excitement of a new vehicle can sometimes be short lived. Also some of those vehicles we sold and then kick ourselves in the rear for letting them go. Will the C8 be one of those? I believe so. Ultimately I could only say possibly when I have my C8 ZO6 will the C8 Stingray be knocked off it's perch, but I have a feeling it is going to remain my daily driver and I will love it for a very long time.

On the other hand life is short and if you feel the need to purchase something else while you wait I can fully understand that as well. I can tell you this for sure - I am extremely happy I went through the agonizing wait process.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

Interesting dilemma..... My wife and I will be picking up our HTC Wednesday at the Museum. We've owned well over a dozen Corvettes since 1968, so you know where I stand. Our Daughter is an 'Audi girl'..... likely through some mix up at the hospital when she was born. She currently has her 3rd TT roadster, a special 2019 Anniversary Edition that's grey with orange 'baseball glove' seats. She sold her last one which was a TT RS roadster and was somewhat disappointed that the RS was no longer offered as a convertible. She also has a R5 SUV to carry her dogs..... quickly.

She absolutely raves about the TT's she has had. Performance, handling and the fact that they are relatively unique. The owner's club also does a lot of neat things both social based and driving related.

My suggestion is if you find the right TT, buy it! If / when your order for the C8 comes up, you have to make a decision.... keep or flip. The TT's don't really depreciate much if they are maintained and with the RARE TT RS you should be able to find a buyer just as fast as the people flipping their C8's do. In the mean time you'll have a year of fun, driving something that you enjoy, rather than just watching the calendar slowly count the days down.....
        C8 Deposit July 2018 (HTC). In the system: Jan 20. Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivery October 21st....

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

Thanks for the responses. All of you made some very good points and has given me something to really think about before making a decision.

Buying a 2019 TT RS now will be a great decision. Then from August 1st on, every time you see a C8 especially one in your color, you will kick yourself in the *** for not having the patience to get the car that you really wanted.

I have found in the past that the thrill and excitement of a new vehicle can sometimes be short lived.

So true. And how do I know this TT RS is going to be "the one"? Considering all the cars I've been through, I have a terrible tendency to get tired of a car within a year or two. And then on to something else.

The Audi TTRS while being a fantastic car, in car terms is old technology.

How so? I'm not disputing your statement, just not sure I understand. I know that, having owed three Audis in the past, they are usually at the forefront, technology wise. So if it's performance, I've heard a lot of great things about the 400 HP five cylinder engine that powers the TT RS (and RS3). It's not quite as quick as the C8 (0-60 in 2.8 with Z51), but the TT RS stock will make the trip in 3.4 seconds. And if you get a tune, then you're down below three seconds. Tops out at 174 mph but I'll never drive it that fast, so that's for bragging rights only.

The TT's don't really depreciate much if they are maintained and with the RARE TT RS

Yeah, I've noticed that with the TT RS, as well as the RS3, but the RS3 not as much as there are more of those than the TT RS.

My suggestion is if you find the right TT, buy it! In the mean time you'll have a year of fun, driving something that you enjoy, rather than just watching the calendar slowly count the days down.....

This is me, ha-ha. And I know some of you will chastise me for not being patient enough for waiting on a C8 allocation. But who knows when that will be. What if there's another COVID19 caused shutdown? What if I'm dead in another year? Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
          Working...
          X