Jack stand recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack stand recommendations?

Since both my old HF jack stands and the new replacement jack stands have been recalled, I'm in the market for another pair. I'm NOT going to trust HF again for these.

Anyone have a recommendation for some reasonably inexpensive ones? It's not like I'm a mechanic who's using these every day, so I don't want to pay any more than I really need to.

Thanks.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

And on a related note, does anyone have any experience with these? I think they're too steep to drive a C8 onto, but could be used to support the tires after jacking up the car.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-..._psugg_q=ramps

Click image for larger version

Name:	63956_I.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	173793
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

I have a similar set of ramps that I got at Walmart. I used the for my older Corvettes but didn't try them with a newer one with less clearance.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear...acity/19526658
      1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
      2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
        And on a related note, does anyone have any experience with these? I think they're too steep to drive a C8 onto, but could be used to support the tires after jacking up the car.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-..._psugg_q=ramps

Click image for larger version

Name:	63956_I.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	173793
        I got those from Harbor Freight and they are fine to place a car onto the, and even to drive onto them, but if one gives your car too much gas, their “end lip” will not prevent someone going up and over (I saw this happen for a Z06 and it was not pretty).
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

As to jackstands, I gave away from super heavy duty steel ones and will get some aluminum ones next. As meyerweb asked, any recommendations for those?
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by brad66 View Post
            I have a similar set of ramps that I got at Walmart. I used the for my older Corvettes but didn't try them with a newer one with less clearance.
            Thanks Brad.
            Originally posted by John View Post
            I got those from Harbor Freight and they are fine to place a car onto the, and even to drive onto them, but if one gives your car too much gas, their “end lip” will not prevent someone going up and over (I saw this happen for a Z06 and it was not pretty).
            Yeah, I don't think I'd try to drive up on them. Not hard to jack the car up first and just use them as supports. Thanks.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Comment

Torin Big Red Aluminum 3-Ton 10.7" 15.6" 4.6 lbs
              ESCO 10498 3-Ton 13.2" 21.5" 12.0 lbs
              Hein-Werner HW93503 3-Ton 12.1" 19" 9.5 lbs
              Torin Big Red Steel 3-Ton 11.3" 16.8" 7.5 lbs
              Husky MPL4124 3-Ton 12.0" 17.5" 7.5 lbs
              Sunex 1410 10-Ton 28.1" 46.5" 56.0 lbs
              Omega 32066 Magic Lift 6-Ton 15.8" 24.4" 17.7 lbs
              Table of Contents
              Jack Stand Reviews

#1 – Torin Big Red T43004 Aluminum 3-Ton Jack Stands

The aluminum frame of these excellent jack stands is extremely lightweight (only 4.6 pounds each), giving you maneuverability in confined locations. Plus, aluminum construction is rust-free so you won’t have a problem with the stand becoming stuck or difficult to operate.
              Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                The aluminum frame of these excellent jack stands is extremely lightweight (only 4.6 pounds each), giving you maneuverability in confined locations. Plus, aluminum construction is rust-free so you won’t have a problem with the stand becoming stuck or difficult to operate.
                Thanks! I'll look at those in more detail.

I remembered seeing the Esco, and I think the Torin, at Reverse Logic, and I like giving my business to smaller vendors when reasonable. But ALL of the jack stands are sold out there. Has COVID caused a rush on people working on their cars?
                Last edited by meyerweb; 08-01-2020, 02:15 PM.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Comment

Found the Torin jackstands at Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Torin-Big-A...%2C217&sr=8-19

Thank you very much Frenzy36! I will be using your research to get me a set of four.

Comment

Question about jack stand locations, since we're talking jack stands........

As we all know the PROPER jacking locations ( oval slots on frame), once jacked up, WHERE is the proper place to put the jack stands for both the front, or rear as the car is all underskinned ? I don't exactly want to crawl under a car that is just held up by a hydraulic floor jack to unbolt 20 some odd fasteners from the underskinning panels. Doesn't sound safe to me.

Do you jack it up at the oval slot locations, with pucks of course, then place blocks underneath the tires, lower the car and then place the jack stands where the jacking points are? Seems like the chicken or the egg story.....

3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Thanks! I'll look at those in more detail.

I remembered seeing the Esco, and I think the Torin, at Reverse Logic, and I like giving my business to smaller vendors when reasonable. But ALL of the jack stands are sold out there. Has COVID caused a rush on people working on their cars?
                      Fred's website shows he's sold out of everything related to jack stands.......
                      3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

Here’s my choice, I really like them compared to using the HF ... Click image for larger version

Name:	76E1865A-6A23-4F00-AB12-180780D25166.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	174417
                        A thought if I might ...

Comment

Originally posted by Strake View Post
                          Question about jack stand locations, since we're talking jack stands........

Do you jack it up at the oval slot locations, with pucks of course, then place blocks underneath the tires, lower the car and then place the jack stands where the jacking points are?
                          Good question Strake. What you describe is exactly how I do it, and why I like the shorter 10.7” Toriń Big Red jackstands (with ReverseLogic’s jacking pucks installed)

Comment

John,

Only issue I see is for the times when I want to pull a wheel off. You have to jack it back up far enough to get the blocks out from underneath the tires. So where does the floor jack go as the proper jacking location is already in use by the jack stands ?

Comment

It is not a simple nor quick process. Doing as you described, I then remove a jack-stand (I had them there just as that double safety precaution), put in my jack, raise it up that corner, remove the block, lower it down, then on to the next corner. Not fun situation. And why a quick jack or lift is something I am seriously considering...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X