MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

Fia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fia

I used to enjoy Formula One. I like the exotic cars and the speed but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that almost in every race they can't even get around the FIRST turn without a wreck. Literally hundreds of millions of dollars are spent. They have 747s to transport cars around the world but can't make that first turn. It also looks like that who ever gets the lead hardly EVER loses the race. Unless there is an equipment failure or someone takes them out the guy that does make it around the first turn wins. Had to get that off of my chest.

Ahhhh the good old days. Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell were a couple of my favorites. The times, they are, a changin’.
    The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

I'm not upset by first lap crashes. Unlike so much of what goes on in F1 today, that is directly under the control of the drivers.

My issue with modern F1 is that most races are parades. Even the safety car didn't make today's race any more interesting.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Both my wife and I have road raced open wheel race cars. Having open wheels adds to the problem of driving close to other cars. It’s very easy to get tangled up with another cars wheels , usually with bad results, very different than just bouncing off a fender. Plus most all Formula cars weigh around 950 lbs or in some cases less. They don’t like bouncing off things and suspensions break very easily. For those that have never raced, the green flag going into turn one is the most intense driving we have even done. In my over 400 races, I have always held my breath until we get past turn one. Maybe 2 -3 cars in front of you, cars on both sides, and your mirrors full of color (cars) 3 wide, sometimes 4 wide. It’s amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
          Ahhhh the good old days. Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell were a couple of my favorites. The times, they are, a changin’.
          Yep loved Mansell and Schumacher. Actually was watching when Senna crashed

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
            Both my wife and I have road raced open wheel race cars. Having open wheels adds to the problem of driving close to other cars. It’s very easy to get tangled up with another cars wheels , usually with bad results, very different than just bouncing off a fender. Plus most all Formula cars weigh around 950 lbs or in some cases less. They don’t like bouncing off things and suspensions break very easily. For those that have never raced, the green flag going into turn one is the most intense driving we have even done. In my over 400 races, I have always held my breath until we get past turn one. Maybe 2 -3 cars in front of you, cars on both sides, and your mirrors full of color (cars) 3 wide, sometimes 4 wide. It’s amazing
            Of course it's not like "rubbin is racing" never implied that. Think of all the time money and prep between races just to not make it at least around the first turn and to never have a chance to move up. It's like sheriff Buford P. Justice said "Is this a drive In movie"

Comment

Understand your point, but, time and money spent preparing race cars is left in the pits. When the green flag drops, drivers get the “red mist” . Its pass or be passed. If you sit back, the leaders get open track to run fast. You, sitting in traffic have to avoid other cars, with little to no way of cutting a fast lap. And of course, ego, can be a killer of good judgement. I have crashed first lap turn one, a few times. Perfect car, pumping adrenaline , loud noises, flashes of color, then silence, race over in 3 seconds, and you get home early to start the repairs on the car. Welcome to racing.
              not talking about some current forms of racing where you can win it in pit stop strategy, but all out sprint racing. Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch with the puppies. Just my opinion after 40 years of trying.....
              Last edited by Racer86; 05-13-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

A big reason drivers are taking more risking going into turn 1 (and on the first lap in general) is because the rest of the race is such a parade and it's so difficult to pass. Compounding that on top of the other reasons Racer86 described, the first half a lap is, in my unfortunate opinion, the most exciting part of the race.

Comment

Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch with the puppies. Just my opinion after 40 years of trying.....
                  That'd be me, one of those puppies back on the porch watching from a safe distance.

Comment

Both my wife and I have road raced open wheel race cars. Having open wheels adds to the problem of driving close to other cars. It’s very easy to get tangled up with another cars wheels , usually with bad results, very different than just bouncing off a fender. Plus most all Formula cars weigh around 950 lbs or in some cases less.
                    Actually, minimum weight for F1 cars this season is 740kg, or 1631 pounds.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Actually, minimum weight for F1 cars this season is 740kg, or 1631 pounds.
                      With fuel, ballast, and driver. Car only is much less.

Comment

Originally posted by NewYuriCity View Post
                        A big reason drivers are taking more risking going into turn 1 (and on the first lap in general) is because the rest of the race is such a parade and it's so difficult to pass. Compounding that on top of the other reasons Racer86 described, the first half a lap is, in my unfortunate opinion, the most exciting part of the race.
                        Right and in F1 if they get ahead they usually stay there. There's always the possibility that something can happen but usually if they make that first turn they win.
                        Last edited by WWR; 05-15-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

With fuel, ballast, and driver. Car only is much less.
                          Nope. That includes driver, but not fuel. And ballast really is part of the weight of the car. It's not like they can remove it for qualy or the race. They can move it where it does the most good, but they're still racing at 1631 pounds, plus fuel.

https://scuderiatororosso.redbull.co...r-the-drivers/

F1 cars can carry up to 110 KG (242 pounds) of fuel, and at most races are probably pretty close to the limit if not at it.
                          Last edited by meyerweb; 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >33,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by WWR View Post
                            I used to enjoy Formula One. I like the exotic cars and the speed but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that almost in every race they can't even get around the FIRST turn without a wreck. Literally hundreds of millions of dollars are spent. They have 747s to transport cars around the world but can't make that first turn. It also looks like that who ever gets the lead hardly EVER loses the race. Unless there is an equipment failure or someone takes them out the guy that does make it around the first turn wins. Had to get that off of my chest.
                            Should be FIA can't seem to change it

Comment

F1 has evolved to be a veritable parade! The FIA cannot change it by themselves but the FIA, F1 and teams can! They are the signers of the Concorde Agreement. To effect any change, the Concorde Agreement has to be modified to allow for a more equal distribution of TV right money, prize money and various other funds. Right now, it's totally lopsided to the major teams!

No new teams can afford to come in unless they are backed by a crazy billionaire whose mediocre driving son is on one of them. The beginning of the end was the hybrid engines now in use! "They have resulted in one of the most elaborate and expensive engines in the history of motor racing! No independent team can afford to battle the large teams like Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. Even McLaren, which is well funded, can keep up. The glory days of the 80's, 90's and 2000's are long gone but we can pray for a new Concorde Agreement as it's due in 2020.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X