Collapse

Most Enjoyable, Hair-Raising Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to see some EPIC on the road saga’s check out the On the Way Up, Down and Around on AppleTV.... Motor cycle journeys with the last On the Way Up on Electric Harley’s... worth watching even if its about two wheelers.... 😎
    202(1 or 2) Arctic White HTC Z51 with all the Goodies 😎

Comment

If you ever make it out to the Texas Hill Country in the center of the state, you have to check out RR335, 336 and 337. Most enjoyable and scenic ride.

https://ridermagazine.com/2013/07/08...t-famous-trio/
      2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, LT2, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

California Highway 33 from Ojai in the Los Padres National Forest. I prefer an undulating road where you can get a rhythm more than low speed hairpins. Used this as part of my route to put break in mileage on my C8 and Jag F-type SVR before it. Of course Mulholland through Westlake/Malibu but the world famous "Snake" is currently closed due to road damage from recent fires.
        Attached Files
        HTC 3LT Z51 Black w/silver stripes/Black+grey two tone suede interior

Comment

Great road I have never (yet) been on. Thanks Dave. I so agree that one after another low speed hairpins is also far less fun that an rhythm of medium speed curves.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Another favorite is a day trip to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in Lancaster (Late-Feb thru May - go in the late morning when they open in the sun but before it gets windy in the afternoon) and returning via Munz Ranch Rd to Elizabeth Lake Rd to San Francisquito Cyn Rd (good all by itself) turning off at Green Valley onto *****y Canyon Rd past the reservoir to Bouquet Canyon Rd ending at Vasquez Canyon Rd out to Hwy 14. Not much in the way of "Hair Raising" but Bouquet Canyon under the oak tree canopy is one of the most beautiful undulating drives you will ever find. Too bad the Big Oaks burned down - it was one of the great roadside car/biker bars in Southern California. :-(

Comment

So many great roads I've had the opportunity to experience, both paved and unpaved (unpaved typically on moto...)

Loveland Pass in Colorado is awesome, hitting 12,000' at the top. If your ever heading west out of Denver and have a little extra time, skip Eisenhower Tunnel and take the bypass road over the top of the continental divide...

Video below in a 2001 911 Turbo:

Another really awesome road is Ruta 40 from Chile to Argentina over the Andes... Kind of the South American version of Stelvio... I did this one on a moto adventure trip years back. I was on a borrowed motorcycle out of Chile, and after riding several hours from Santiago to the border crossing near the top of the mountains, the Argentinian officials didn't like the official, notarized, stamped letter of permission I had for the motorcycle because it was stamped by Chilean officials, not Argentinian officials... So back down the pass, back to Santiago, a scavenger hunt through the city for the proper colorful stamps and payment coupons, then back up to the crossing and down the other side. Killed an entire very long day, but got to do that wonderful pass three times on the west side!

Click image for larger version  Name:	chile border crossing - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	528.8 KB ID:	226846

Click image for larger version  Name:	chile border crossing - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	561.0 KB ID:	226845
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pfbz; 01-09-2021, 02:12 PM.
              Upcoming: 2021 HTC Z51 Elkhart Lake Blue, Status 4300
              Current: 2001 911 Turbo Coupe, 2014 911 Turbo S

Comment

Loveland Pass is lovely. So is Colorado Rte. 550 heading north from Durango toward Grand Junction (well not the northernmost 50 miles of it). The section just south of Ouray is spectacular — that is unless you do not like heights and do not like roads without guardrails. Near the top when you look down you see more than a few dead tractor tractor trucks crumpled up into wads of metal thousands of feet below, ones you that did not navigate the turns.

We came over on April 1st in our C5. The two lane road was down to about 8 feet wide because of snow on both sides with snow completely covering the road in quite a few spots.. It was scary! When we pulled into the town of Ouray for lunch, instead of 36 degrees at the pass, it was a balmy 70 degrees and we ate outside at a tiny, lovely cafe. The owner, we were the only customers, came over and talked, telling us tales of those that did not make it and frankly marveling we had the courage to take our Corvette over the pass that early in the season. Thank you first generation Goodyears all seasons that fit C5 Corvettes!
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I remember my cousin spinning his Camaro on its roof in Loveland Pass in winter!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X