MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

GM IS Radically Changing! C8.R Sebring Night Testing! FVS’ Latest Interior Rendering.

2 of 5 < >

New C8 ME Proposals By “unlimitedPower”! FVS’ Latest Interior Render! Bdsvavars ME GIF Video Rendering!

3 of 5 < >

Buying Your C8 Nationally Or Locally? Contrasting C8 Scoop Trim? duckvett’s Photo of the Day Winner

4 of 5 < >

Buying Your C8 Nationally? Contrasting C8 Scoop Trim? MikeC8 Wins Today’s “Photo of the Day Award”

5 of 5 < >

MECF Forum “Picture of the Day Award” (POTD) Section Started; To Be Eligible, Post Your Picture in our C1-6 or C7 section.

A different admin/mod chosen photo(s) each day, one you earlier placed of your car it in the C1-C6 Fantastic Corvettes section, the Compelling C7 section (or be admin/mod ME section chosen). We today feature Steven Bell’s beauty: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...y-award-winner
See more
See less

Mary Barra Named #1 Auto Industry Leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Barra Named #1 Auto Industry Leader

Mary Barra was just name # 1 by Automotive News. Please, can we keep this thread going, but not getting into social and political issues? If it digresses, I will full remove posts. Thanks for complying with our forum rules.
    [Quote=GM Authority]GM CEO Mary Barra Named Automotive Industry Leader Of The Year

General Motors CEO Mary Barra has been named to the 2018 Industry All-Stars list by Automotive News.

But Barra was more than named to the list, she took the top spot as the publication’s choice for Industry Leader of the Year. Barra has sat in the big chair at GM for the past five years, with this being the fourth time in a row that she has been named to the All-Star team, it’s also her second time being chosen as Industry Leader of the Year.

Although Barra’s no stranger to the All-Star rankings, the publication singled out the profound culture shift she has helped enact at GM, a company that was sometimes viewed as embodying the problems plaguing the patriarchial automotive industry. Barra has routinely kept all employees in the know regarding important company developments during the ignition-switch recall crisis, focused through Wall Street doubt, and on track tackling an evolving automotive industry.

She has also helped transform the once bloated corporation into a lean mean future machine. Just this past year, amid ongoing international restructurings, GM has secured several high-profile deals in the realm of electrification and mobility as it works towards an alleged corporate vision of zero crashes, congestion, or emissions. The deals included $2.25 billion invested by the SoftBank Vision Fund, and $2.75 billion from Honda, both into Cruise Automation, GM’s autonomous-vehicle operation.

Barra has also been heavily involved in government discussions surrounding federal fuel economy standards, along with featuring in the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement. She has been lobbying for proper federal legislation surrounding self-driving technology in order to provide “a path for manufacturers to put self-driving vehicles on the roads safely, while allowing continued innovation.” GM does have plans to begin deploying fleets of completely autonomous vehicles, based on the Chevrolet Bolt EV, without manual controls beginning in 2019.

There were other GM appearances on the list under various categories. Kurt McNeil, GM’s US VP of Sales was named top Sales executive; Joe Jacuzzi, Executive Director of Brand Communications topped the PR list; while Dan Nicholson, VP of Global Propulsion Systems closed was honored in the Engineering category.

The awards announcement broke before General Motors announced the anticipated closure of five North American plants, several thousand salaried layoffs, and vehicle cancelations including the Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Cruze and others.[/Quote}

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...#ixzz5YNBEwxn8
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

Mara Barra showed that leadership this week. Timing is good for this award. Congrats. to her.

Comment

Congrats to a beautiful intelligent women. Why not they design beautiful cars don’t they
      Last edited by MikeC8; 11-30-2018, 05:45 PM.
      2009 Shelby GT 500 KR weekend toy

Comment

What I especially like about Mary Barra is three things:

1) For her whole life, she has always been a gear head, loves to drive fast, in her very fast cars (currently has a Z06/Z07);

2) She, unlike her GM CEO predecessors, has guts, and is not just reacting years too late to change things that should have been dealt with years before, but she is a “systematic future leader”— always figuring out what is trending/changing, and moving the battleship she inherited, sometimes massively, in that direction;

3) She has guts to make the hard decisions, of which even before this week, she has made many, e.g., the foremost of which was her selling Opel.

While it is always sad when a single employee loses their job, she knows and is willing to act before GM could have become extinct in the next decade. Well deserved award!
        Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Its gotta be tough to lead an entity like GM. Selling @ 19 million cars a year, @180,000 employees and on. I think I'd turn that job down.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
            Its gotta be tough to lead an entity like GM. Selling @ 19 million cars a year, @180,000 employees and on. I think I'd turn that job down.
            Well hold on.....you would get to direct the future of performance sports cars for the masses. That would be very enticing.
            Last edited by Ateupjoe; 11-30-2018, 07:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
            2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	bd40a23b5a83372e797030ffa432809a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	17578
              Originally posted by Ateupjoe View Post

Well hold on.....you would get to direct the future of performance sports cars for the masses. That would be very enticing.
              Tempting. No thanks. On the other hand, I've done some preliminary design work for an alternative C8 and I'm pretty pleased with the above results.
              Last edited by Boomer; 12-01-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                What I especially like about Mary Barra is three things:

1) For her whole life, she has always been a gear head, loves to drive fast, in her very fast cars (currently has a Z06/Z07);

2) She, unlike her GM CEO predecessors, has guts, and is not just reacting years too late to change things that should have been dealt with years before, but she is a “systematic future leader”— always figuring out what is trending/changing, and moving the battleship she inherited, sometimes massively, in that direction;

3) She has guts to make the hard decisions, of which even before this week, she has made many, e.g., the foremost of which was her selling Opel.

While it is always sad when a single employee loses their job, she knows and is willing to act before GM could have become extinct in the next decade. Well deserved award!
                Well said. I agree she seems to be doing a great job.
                May not always be popular when you make the tough decisions but she is forging ahead.
                There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                79 coupe Silver/oyster
                All one owner
                Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post
                  Why not they design beautiful cars don’t they
                  Love my C7. Sounds like you should be put in charge.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	bd40a23b5a83372e797030ffa432809a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	17578

Tempting. No thanks. On the other hand, I've done some preliminary design work for an alternative C8 and I'm pretty pleased with the above results.
                    Me thinks you've violated the M&B patent and double pinky square secrets with that one!
                    2017 TR GS 2LT

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	bd40a23b5a83372e797030ffa432809a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	17578

You have a dark spot in your mind!

2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                      79 coupe Silver/oyster
                      All one owner
                      Museum lifetime members

Comment

Statement just released by GM on Mary Barra’s meeting with congress re plant closures:

Originally posted by media.gm
                        GM Statement: Chairman and CEO Mary Barra on meetings with members of Congress from Ohio and Maryland

2018-12-05

“I had very constructive meetings with members of Congress from Ohio and Maryland. I share their concerns about the impact the actions we announced last week will have on our employees, their families and the communities. These were very difficult decisions -- decisions I take very personally. I informed the members that many hourly employees at the impacted U.S. plants will have the opportunity to work at other U.S. GM plants and that we are committed to working with them to minimize the impact on the communities. I also informed them that all salaried GM workers impacted by these actions are being offered outplacement services to help them transition to new jobs.”

(Note: GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra will meet with the Michigan delegation on Thursday, Dec. 6.)
                        https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...statement.html

Comment

Well it doesn’t say anything changed.

2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                          79 coupe Silver/oyster
                          All one owner
                          Museum lifetime members

Comment

GM will not now say anything has changed as far as allocating product to Lordstown nor anywhere else, especially with upcoming union negotiations. Does not mean that there might not be changes ahead. Mamy hourly and salaried workers will have the opportunity to transfers within GM, and those that choose to do so, will be given relocation benefits. Those salaried employees who are not provided alternative job activities, will be offered out-placement services. While positive steps, clearly there will be still be layoffs, and serious/very negative consequences for many — both for salaried and union employees.

The bottom line is that worldwide, there is massive over capacity to build vehicles compared to demand, and this is far from a unique GM issue or consequence. Ford looks at first blush to have made the transition to revised product without announcing any layoffs, but as at least one industry suggested this last week, he believes their layoffs will be far bigger than GM’s, his specifically mentioning his estimate that Ford will need to cut 25,000 jobs.
                            Last edited by John; 12-06-2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

A little more specificity about Ford’s upcoming job cuts.

Originally posted by hotcars
                              Ford Could Lay Off Thousands Of Workers, Report PredictsOn the heels of massive GM layoffs, Ford could be next to lay off thousands of workers according to a new report.

It’s not a good time to be a North American car manufacturer. Sales are down across the board as fewer people can afford to buy more expensive cars, and sales of crossovers, SUVs, and trucks just aren’t increasing fast enough to offset the losses. Selling fewer vehicles overall means carmakers will make fewer cars, which means less work for employees. Layoffs are pretty much inevitable.

A new report from Bloomberg citing Morgan Stanley analysts says that Ford could lose as many as 25,000 salaried employees over the course of their corporate restructuring. Ford is currently changing the way they do business, closing down car manufacturing lines in favor of making more trucks and SUVs.

Last week, Ford announced they would be reshuffling their current workforce to better meet current market demands. Workers from plants in Michigan and Kentucky were moved from factory lines geared for making cars over to those making larger SUVs like the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, as well as Ford’s highly successful F-Series of pickups.
                              https://www.hotcars.com/ford-layoffs-coming-report/

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X