Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Correction/Protection

Paint Preparation/Correction/Protection: Even A Brand New Car

These are the steps and products I use on a new car. There are tons of other high-quality alternative methods and products. It takes me about two days to do it the way I am describing. Others can sure do it quicker. So, FWIW, here is a start for consideration.

The astute reader will note some inconsistency at to which nano ceramic was used. On my Corvette, exclusively CQuartz Finest by a professional installer; on my daily drivers, I was self taught, and successfully used Wolfgang Uber Ceramic (amateur application approved).

The overall steps are identical for either application, and for brand new cars and ones you have owned for a while. I do the complete process even on my daily drivers once every two years.

1) Wash with Dawn Ultra, using new microfiber wash mitt, foam gun for extra paint protection, and the two-bucket wash method (each bucket with grit guard); YouTube videos avail on two-bucket washing.

2) Apply bug and tar removal (IF needed), let soak for several minutes; hose off; dry to 90% with high pressure air hose;

3) Apply Iron X (to remove imbedded iron particles in paint); hose off; dry with air pressure hose to 90%, then only need a few microfibers to gently finish the drying.

For those who doubt that iron particles become imbedded in brand new car’s paint, with many new car's arriving that way — especially those vehicles which have gone a a train trip to get to your dealership, below is a video. Every iron particle will turn purple, and my brand new Corvette, after coming across country on the train, looked like it had measles as I did this step.

4) Remove “surface bonded contaminants” with Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine mitt, applied with AutoGlide or high quality detailer. Process is very similar to a clay bar but quicker;

5) Wash again (as per # 1 above);

6) Hand polish with Wolfgang Glaze (after "car’s sharp edges" and rubber/vinyl next to paint, was automotive-masking-tape protected). I only use "automotive masking tape," either CarPro or 3M's — as regular masking tape can leave hard to remove tape "adhesive.” I hand polish using Adam's blue polisher pads:

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-blue...pplicator.html

There are many high quality, fine-cut polishes, including Meguiar's # 205, Adam's Blue Revive; Griots Fine Hand Polish.

Unless you are a professional detailer or a skilled and experienced amateur, I would only hand polish. Machine polishing is, IMO, risky unless you know exactly what you are doing and are experienced using a machine. If using a machine, get “gentle polishing pads, “ not “cutting pads, a gentle DA polishing machine, with a fine-cut polish.

7) Apply Wolfgang Protekt (2X) to 100% of car — to remove all polish and tape residue.

8) Apply nano-ceramic coating -- specifically Wolfang Uber Ceramic (at this time only on the parts of car not to be next-step, clear-bra'd).

Notes: There are many high quality nano ceramic coatings, some for professional application only, others for us amateurs.
    A) Watch a bunch of YouTube videos, then watch them over and over;
    B) Select your choice of coatings. I selected Wolfgang Uber Ceramic for lots of reasons, one of the primary ones being that it is easy for an amateur to apply and gets great results.
    C) Get a quality applicator designed specifically and only for applying a nano ceramic (do not use wax mitt/pads or a massive problem will occur);
    D) Apply extremely sparingly as per directions and as per YT videos;
    E) Only 100% consistent with temperature limitations (on the product);
    F) Only do a 2’X2’ panel at a time, and use a bunch of microfibers to immediately, after glazing, remove excess. I have found that the bundle of microfibers (MF’)s available at Costco are excellent, for as you are applying a silica product, you then must every MF discard.
    G
    ) Apply only in ventilation conditions as specifed on the product.

9) Took my car to have front fascia, entire hood, front of front fenders, front air dam/splitter, headlights and front sides of mirrors, all clear bra coated/protected by pro installer, with XPEL (or any other, equivalent, super high quality product);

10) Re-washed after drive home as per # 1; then one week later after clear bra cured, I applied Wolfgang Uber Ceramic on top of XPEL’d areas.

For your consideration:

1) There is a massive difference of opinion even within the professional detailing industry, as to whether you should/should not apply a nano-ceramic UNDER a clear bra.

2) There is a massive difference of opinion even within the professional detailing industry, as to whether you should/should not apply a nano-ceramic OVER a clear bra.

I did not apply the nano ceramic under my clear bra, but did apply it on top of it (so when all was done by pros or me), almost every inch of the extra of my Corvette has been CQuartz Finest. [Note: CQuartz Finest is only available to professional installers, but I have used their amateur version product myself on my daily drivers with excellent results).

Want to see the results? In addition to all the above, my Corvette was initially when new prepped/corrected/protected with CQuartz. Then the picture below shows how it looks, approximately 10,000 miles, 12 states and 18 months after the CQuartz Finest and other steps were done. Note please, the car was not waxed, not even once between the initial described process, and what you are seeing, was only washed conventially twice (by me) and detailed about 10,000 times (by me). Not bad... And I credit 99% of its looks to my professional polisher/CQuartz/XPEL installers

Note: Sources for above speciality products include: Amazon, AutoGeek.com, Autopia.com (the latter two both car detailing forums -- with their own internal “product stores”) and some products bought at auto parts stores.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9EE8734B-9C2B-46ED-800A-77A0AD82C9D1.jpeg
Views:	451
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	6511
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Nice job and truly great products, I have used them on some of my cars. I have a similar process that takes me days. In the last 14 years I had to change the process and add additional steps because of clear film installation. My clear bra installer said all my wax products made the paint to slick for the adhesive to stick to the paint. Now I clean the paint and get it perfect then have the clear film installed. Any exposed paint without film gets waxed every quarter, then use film friendly wax products on the covered film panels.
    Last edited by Fasttoys; 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

What film friendly waxes do you use/recommend please?
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Clear Film: Many films to choose from and it’s dependent on the shop and the product they prefer. I feel the installer is the key to the outcome. Some film is thicker or has more aggressive adhesive which makes it more difficult for the installer. The guy I use will not use kits it’s all free hand without seams and he doesn’t use a plotter to cut the film.This is not always recommend since that means a installer is using a blade on the car to cut the film. He is like a surgeon and he does million dollar cars and I trust his work and he is only 15% higher than others.

Their is special products designed for clear film. Added one of them in the link below with videos.
        I get my equipment and most of my car care products from Autogeek.

Some Products I use:
        Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax
        Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish
        Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0: Been told this product can be used on clear film if put on by hand. I think it’s best to use products that are designed for the clear film. I have used NXT on my wife’s 18 Audi Q5 film and no issues.
        P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
        Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

XPEL Technologies Protection Film Sealant R1326: Made to seal the pores and keep the film looking new.
        Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant provides a durable protective wet mirror-like finish to all paint surfaces.
        Last edited by Fasttoys; 08-29-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Excellently helpful information Fasttoys! Not just the products, but your evaluation that it is skill of installer that is paramount. I too would pay 15% extra for an outstanding installler.

Comment

My friend Norm sold this business below, he was the best in the business when It came to free hand. I always told him i don’t want to see any film lines on the car and I can’t believe I am paying so much money for something I can’t see.

He built the website, it has change but still has info on Clear Film and the differences. I know a few of my cars are in the Gallery pictures.
            Last edited by Fasttoys; 08-29-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I live in an area where a proven detail shop just doesn't exist. Is it possible that some forum member could recommend a shop say within 150 miles from Pensacola Fl. cutnout aka Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by cutnout View Post
                I live in an area where a proven detail shop just doesn't exist. Is it possible that some forum member could recommend a shop say within 150 miles from Pensacola Fl. cutnout aka Charlie
                Go to the Xpel website and do a installer locator search with your zip code. It will pull up all the installers/detailers and they're level of proficiency and certification. Even if you're not going to use Xpel this will let you know what professional level detailers are in your area.

Comment

Great detail on your process. Car looks great.

Comment

We've tested coatings in our lab on top of our PPF and the results have been very positive, extending the life of PPF! We would always suggest PPF first and then a coating, a coating prior to PPF can often interfere with the adhesion of the film to the paint (in essence the coating is doing it's job). PPF is designed to last 5-10 years depending on what brand/line you select, coatings can vary from a few months to a few years so you can reapply over time on PPF.

Comment

I was visiting a local detailer and he mentioned a relative new product ... a spray-on PPF by EXPEL, that can be sprayed on at varying thickness, varied colors, and still capable of being peeled off later just like solid film protectors. Relatively same cost and useful in protecting areas with complicated corners and curves. More time consuming prep to tape and install coverings to assure no overspray. It was about $200 more than solid PPF for front end install. I saw this on several installed vehicles at their shop and really couldn’t tell the difference from solid film. Same warranty and ceramic coating compatible.

Anyone familiar with this?
                      TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

News to me. We are all going to have to learn more. So new, not even on XPEL’s web site.

How does that spray on process work to insure no orange peel? 3M makes great PPF film (had it on our C6). They came out with a spray on product called “Defender,” but interestingly, it is now discontinued.

Comment

I could not find it on website either, but they had a display at the shop ... said it came out 8 months ago. I will find out more ... was hoping someone here knew of it.
                          TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X