MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

What's the best wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeC8 View Post
    Wax is still used on my collector cars .
    Here are my questions about ceramic coating. Years from now let’s say someone buys a used C7 or collector car. How do you determine if it has been coated ? How do you dertermine if the coating has reached its end cycle ? How do you remove the coating 100% without removing some of the clear coat ? . Can you apply a coating over the existing coating ? What if the coating is one of those cheap products ( blue bottle Ebay ) and how can you determine that ? What do you do if the coating was installed over a bad paint correction ? How do you determine if the scratches are in the coating or clear coat in this case ? This is why I’m sticking with wax on my collector cars ....because the jury is out on the above questions.IMO.
    You forgot that have to sand off the coating also
    X2 here

Comment

I have used Zaino for 18 years and have had superior results for me. I use some 3M and Adams products on a collection I maintain for a private collector. I have won numerous concours events using these products. The most important thing about polishes, waxes, etc. is use what works for YOU.
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R2
      2002 Corvette Coupe,Millennium Yellow

NCM Lifetime Member since 2002

Comment

I use P21S carnauba at the suggestion of the guy who installed the XPEL on my C7....works really well.

Comment

Wax is yellow and will change the shade of your car slightly. WIth ceramic coating I don't see any wax product necessary. I also have used Zaino which I loved and it isn't a wax. Check their website and believe everything you read. But it is expensive. YMMV

Edit: Zaino doesn't leave ANY residue. You can do it in direct sunlight etc. It is WAY easier to apply than wax.
          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
          Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

There are few topics that will yield more varying responses than "choice of car care products"....

My $0.02:
            I've been personal friends with Adam of Adam's Polishes for about 15 years....I've worked his booth at Carlisle, various auctions and Bloomington Gold...I use (and love) his products...but he is the first to tell you that there is not a lot of difference between the "top shelf" products....so go with what makes you happiest.

The one point I would make, and I'm certain has been stated previously...is to look at doing your own ceramic coating...it's not that challenging if you are even a little experienced at paint correction, and can follow directions. I ceramic coated my Corvette in 2017, and haven't looked back. WORTH EVERY PENNY in terms of protection, and cleaning ease after it's applied.

I now ceramic coat all my vehicles....last Winter, I was staying at a hotel in the Boston area (i.e. vehicle was parked outside) and it snowed 6 inches overnight. When I came out in the morning, the only snow on my vehicle was on the sunroof (which I did not ceramic) - the snow had not accumulated on the coated surfaces.

Even if you're a "waxer" and like the therapy provided by waxing your ride, you can do it over the ceramic....but the ceramic's extra protection is so worth it. It won't prevent rock chips, etc (clear bra) but it is so helpful in minimizing swirl marks, etc....

Comment

As my online detailing guru was (and still is, I assume, but he's left the Corvette community) fond of saying: All the big companies have good chemists and access to the same chemicals. The surface prep and application matter more than the brand.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X