Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #115 - Corvette News & Headlines, Late June 2022

We've got the latest News & Headlines in the world of Corvette for you every other week! Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger is back to give you the inside scoop on what's happening. https://youtu.be/ZnVdDJHYDxo; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...2cqLUlcMmj6m4x
Here are a few of the topics covered on next week's podcast....
C8 Z06 benchmarked Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and McLaren
Chevrolet raises prices on 2023 C8 Stingray
Chevrolet adds DCT transmission filter life to maintenance tab on 2023 Corvettes
Chevy offers "Dark Stealth" crossed flags for 2023 Corvettes
WEC drops GTE Pro class for 2023 and introduces GTE Premium for 2024
Chevrolet is offering Dark Stealth Crossed Flags for the 2023 Corvettes
Is Corvette is scheduled for an interior refresh in 2024?
Chevrolet to offer 1 of 1 Mint Green Z06 in first NFT Auction
GM releases 2 more videos about the C8 Z06
This Friday, July 1st, is "Drive Your Corvette To Work" Day!

Don't miss a single episode of CORVETTE TODAY on podcast and YouTube. Each week's episode launches on Monday at 12 midnight Eastern Time.
2 of 2 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

Wrapped and ceramic coated, one year later, what do i use to wash it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapped and ceramic coated, one year later, what do i use to wash it?

So although my car is still away for the winter, it will be out soon. It is wrapped and i had it ceramic coated last year.

is there any sort of special soap i would use to wash the car? Can i just use any good quality Adams, or griots or chemical guys car wash shampoo or do i need something special that will not harm the ceramic coating?

and should i not bother to spray detail/wax it after washing? Im wondering if the chemicals in the spray wax would harm the ceramic? Or do i get a specific kind of spray wax made for the ceramic?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

thanks
    Attached Files

You need to speak to the detailer who did the ceramic coating on your car. Most manufacturers have very specific cleaning instructions.
    When in doubt, I could only suggest you use some baby shampoo to wash, and use a Foam Attachment on your sprayer.
    If you want to hand wash, I suggest either a two or three bucket system.
    I will attach a few YouTube Videos.

Good Luck,
    Mike Scibetta
    St Cloud, FL

2022 Corvette Stingray Coupe – 2LT – Elkhart Lake Blue – Black Interior – Z51 – Stingray R – Front Lift – Mag Selective Ride – Museum Delivery/Pick Up 3/11/2022

“American Muscle on ICE”

Comment

Just keep washing properly as in the YT videos and/or have done before for ceramic makes it easier to wash, to remove materials on your paint.

I have moved away from the two or even three bucket system because not matter how OCDE I am I still find some dirt in the last wash bucket — dirt that can get onto your wash mitts (micro-dirt gets suspended into the water no matter how many grit guards you have).

I instead take one bucket with 8 clean microfiber, place them into a soap water fillet bucket. And after the usual prep of pressure washing, use my foam cannon to lay down a white foam over the car to sit for 3-5 minutes, rinse it off, then take each of the MF washing mitts in turn, then on roughly 1/16’s of the car (each side of the MF mitt), squeeze a touch extra soap on that mitt, and wash that section, flip the MF mitt over, then never use it again — in goes in a second, empty bucket to next go into the washing machine.

And of course the rinsing, doing it in the shade, rinsing to insure soap never dries, etc.
      Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks to Scott at Dallas Paint Correction and Detailing for showing me this system. I have used it for years and for reasons above I like it. And no more need for lugging around that second water filled rinse bucket.

Z06 coming late this summer: Hypersonic Gray HTC, two tone blue interior, complete high wing/aero package. CCB’s, with every piece of visible carbon fiber available. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 24 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          I instead take one bucket with 8 clean microfiber, place them into a soap water fillet bucket. And after the usual prep of pressure washing, use my foam cannon to lay down a white foam over the car to sit for 3-5 minutes, rinse it off, then take each of the MF washing mitts in turn, then on roughly 1/16’s of the car (each side of the MF mitt), squeeze a touch extra soap on that mitt, and wash that section, flip the MF mitt over, then never use it again — in goes in a second, empty bucket to next go into the washing machine.

And of course the rinsing, doing it in the shade, rinsing to insure soap never dries, etc.

Spot on!! (Pardon the pun) ... I do one other thing because I'm old and forgetful. I have 6 different mitts in that bucket of suds. 2 of one color and 4 of another color. After the wheels/tires are clean and the car has been foamed and rinsed once, I foam it again (start at the top of course) and unless the car is REALLY dirty, I'll use the 2 mitts of the same color for everything above the belt line of the car. I imagine a line down the middle of the car (birds eye perspective) and use one mitt for each side.

The other 4 mitts are for below the belt line. I usually use lighter colored mitts for below the beltline because they tend to show grit in the mitt more easily. As soon as it loads up, get rid of it....and don't throw it back in the bucket!) Sometimes I don't get all the way around the car with 4 mitts. It just depends on how much grit I'm picking off. I think I used 14 mitts on the C8 when I drove it home from Tennessee to AK.

The great thing about microfiber mitts is that they seem to last forever if properly taken care of. Speaking of which, never wash them in HOT water... in fact, luke warm is about as warm as you want to go and never dry them on any heat setting in the dryer. I hang mine up on a wooden clothes drying stand and they're dry in less than a day. (You know that exercise bike you bought? They make excellent microfiber drying racks!!!)

2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - HRE FF11 wheels - CF 5VM w/CF Diffuser

Comment

Thanks to Scott at Dallas Paint Correction and Detailing
            Dallas? Dallas? You sure he's not from Long Island!
            That guy is a riot! Thanks for sharing the video.

Mike Scibetta
            St Cloud, FL

2022 Corvette Stingray Coupe – 2LT – Elkhart Lake Blue – Black Interior – Z51 – Stingray R – Front Lift – Mag Selective Ride – Museum Delivery/Pick Up 3/11/2022

“American Muscle on ICE”

Comment

He is truly a character. He puts some people off but I think he is a hoot and his tips have been invaluable to me. I will never forget the video when he took off on Chemical Guys saying now that to insure we keep the dirt in the bottom of our two buckets, each should have two grid guards in the bottom. That got Scott to saying, “will they next recommend three grit guards on the bottom of each?”

And he was right for tiny dirt particles become suspended in the water not matter what — and how come he created his new method where never is a single mitt re-used. I also do not miss lugging out the 40+ pound, second water filled bucket, etc.

Comment

I instead take one bucket with 8 clean microfiber, place them into a soap water fillet bucket.
                John using the method you do, what is your preferred microfiber wash pad / mitt? The plush chenille microfiber or the soft microfiber with real fine fibers?

Comment

I use Adams MF wash mitts. Bought an eight pack a while ago. Have two of another brand in another color I only use for wheels and exhaust tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Jxp1962 View Post
                    So although my car is still away for the winter, it will be out soon. It is wrapped and i had it ceramic coated last year.

is there any sort of special soap i would use to wash the car? Can i just use any good quality Adams, or griots or chemical guys car wash shampoo or do i need something special that will not harm the ceramic coating?

and should i not bother to spray detail/wax it after washing? Im wondering if the chemicals in the spray wax would harm the ceramic? Or do i get a specific kind of spray wax made for the ceramic?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

thanks
                    I use Carpro Reset which is designed for ceramic coatings. See : https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reset-...06932418&psc=1

My detailer recommended it and I have used it for a few years now on my wrapped then CQuartz coated cars with great results. Hand wash. Microfiber mitt. Two buckets (soap/rinse). Blow dry. Perfect results.

Comment

Thanks to Scott at Dallas Paint Correction and Detailing for showing me this system. I have used it for years and for reasons above I like it. And no more need for lugging around that second water filled rinse bucket.

Not only is he a riot, he's spot on ... 😂
                      1999 C5 Magnetic Red Coupe -Z51 - SOLD 7/31/21
                      2021 C8 Red Mist Z51 HTC, 2LT -
                      Delivered 8/28/21 @ The National Corvette Museum
                      Mag Ride & Front Lift Carbon Flash Top/Mirrors/AH Splitter & Skirts, STD Silver Wheels, GT2 2-Tone Seats Sky Cool Grey/Black

Comment

John, thanks for bring this up. I can't believe I never even thought of this. I Always thought to my self grit guard were kind of pointless, because fine dirt particles get moved around the water regardless. Thats why I used the 3 bucket system. Of course that is a pain. And yes, I've noticed some dirt in my "fresh" wash bucket when I'm done, even with 3 buckets.

Off to amazon to order 5 more mitts...

Of course, on my work truck, I use 1 bucket, and 1 dedicated wash mitt I use on for that. Not really concerned for paint swirls on that, lol..
                        Delivered 6/30/21: The Red Demon 2021 3LT Red Mist HTC.
                        Jet Black Interior w/Red Stitching and Carbon Fiber Interior Trim. Carbon Flash Roof, Nacelles and Mirrors. Front Lift. Spectra Gray Trident Wheels w/Edge Red Calipers. Chrome Exterior Badge Package. Midnight Silver with CF accent fender hash marks.
                        AGM Carbon Fiber 5VM package, High Wing Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Engine Vents, Mirror Caps, Front Grill Inserts, and Door Boomerangs.

Comment

You hit a nail on the head that even in my double grit guard, two bucket system, there was always dirt in the bottom of my wash bucket. And even with your going to three buckets you still had dirt in your wash bucket, Maybe if we had gone to ten buckets, the wash bucket would have been clean lol.

Comment

All my vehicles get a good decontamination wash in the spring; wheel and tires first with a good iron remover and proper wheel cleaning brushes. Car body surfaces; spritz with a washeless rinse of your choice to lift surface containments followed by a pressure washer rinse; clay bar (if necessary), foam bath (I use Griots foaming shampoo and their foam cannon), rinse after 5 minutes of dwell, foam again and wash with micro-fiber mitt, rinse with pressure washer and air dry with blower. Depending upon the coating I'll then hit the car with a good topper such as NV Lustre. Ready for action...

Comment

I use my 2000 psi electric power washer and foam on the whole car first. Then use micro fiber wash mitts. Once you power wash it. Since my cars don't get very dirty they never see mud or any nasty stuff.
                              Just dust all girt is gone.

I just use 1 wash bucket. Important to never use any kind of cotton or cotton bath towel to dry the car. The $10.00 Absorber is the only thing I use to dry the car. You can buy them anywhere and they will NEVER leave any sort swirl or mark.
                              I detailed cars for years used to charge people for taking their car home from work and bring it back the next day detailed.

3 M rubbing compound and 3 M polish. A expert from a body shop showed me
                              those are all you need for perfect finish you start with compound then you dilute it with the polish till your using straight polish. Really tough scratches can be removed with 2000-3000 grit wet sanding sanding slow and checking the finish often you can see the marks go away.

When I clean a car it is show ready I clean all gaskets. door jams. under hatch and hood even wheels completely. Under the hatch, doors, hood gaskets all clean. I'm an expert now I have very bad OCD when it comes to clean cars.
                              I was cars several times every week. My last home had a floor drain in the garage I had installed a whole new concrete floor and also had hot water to wash with.

I once rented to a drug addict . I had him evicted He came back in the evening when I left my car out and he keyed it! It had lines to catch your finger nail it was toast.
                              This is where i learned. I wet sanded and polished the whole car over 16 hours but every bit came out and the side was so much more gloss than the other I had to wet sand and polish the whole car. Insurance had even cut me a check for a new paint job. The body shop said this is how you try save it! It worked! I kept the check.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X