MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Chazcron Driveway Walk-Around Videos! C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

Prepping & Protecting Your New Corvette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping & Protecting Your New Corvette

Since we are talking about modding our C8 in the below link, and while prepping and protecting a new vehicle is not what modest think of as a mod, it is what I do first. Once my paint is properly cleaned/prepared, then protected, that is when I start modding.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...odding-your-c8

While I mention some specific products below, I use them because they are amateur friendly (thus I use them on my daily drivers); however, as we learned from master detailer Glen E, most importantly is technique! With really good technique as he taught us, the actual product used is not that important as long as you are choosing among the top ones for each purpose.

As far as my C8 is concerned, I leave the whole process to my pro. He uses, and the results speak for themselves on our super shiny, super protected four year old Z06; he chooses whatever he wishes. The only ones I know he uses are these last step ones: CQuartz Finest on the paint; CQuartz DeLux on wheels and exhaust tips, and XPEL on about 2/3’s of the car. Again super durable and shiny results are what he/those products produce. However, his bill, while fair, is not a small one, so for those who are wishing to do this process for themselves as I do on my DD’s, here you go. Exceptions: window tint and XPEL applications are always above my pay grade

I went back to a summary of my new vehicle paint cleaning, etc. on a WRX forum, and found this:

* Pressure wash entire vehicle.

*Complete two buck wash with Dawn Ultra;

,* Use IronX to remove iron filling embedded into the paint — especially critical for those vehicles (such as our Corvettes who travel way north, way west and southwest by train, for as we all know, train rails have a lot of iron in them;

*AutoScrub Fine mitt with detailer (instead of clay bar — but that IMO a personal choice to which method one prefers);

* Re-wash as above;

* Polishing if/as necessary; on my DD’s I use Wolfgang glaze/polish 3.0;

* One more wash;

* To remove any polishing residue, use Wolfgang Protekt;

* Then 2 applications of Wolfgang Uber Ceramic nano-coating.

For me, all this above is done with the important keys are to use quality microfibers, having as light as pressure on your paint as possible; and, to dry your vehicle with an air blow system (reducing any chance of paint minute swirling/scratching); and finally, my watching many YT videos before undertaking any step I have not done before.

I am sure there are tons of good ideas others have. What do you do differently, diff products, processes???
    Last edited by John; 05-11-2019, 03:29 PM.
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Ain’t YouTube great!
    The least we can do is wave to each other

Comment

Wow...sounds like quite the process....

i usually just wait a few weeks and then wax the car out...

i find it cathartic....so Ill never use these new techniques so many love...

probably a smarter play for you guys...

for me? I just hit the cars twice a year with an orbital polisher and Im good.

Comment

JB, your black car with 125,000 miles looks terrific, so your method works beautifully for you/it.
        Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
        Working...
        X