Cleaning a C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a C8

I’ve never owned a ceramic coated car until my C8. What’s the consensus on proper washing techniques? The car has a good layer of dust on it because the wind hasn’t stopped blowing since I picked the car up. Should I just spray that dust off or should I do a complete wash? The ceramic coating has been on the car for about two weeks, so I’m pretty sure that it is cured. Also does ceramic coating make drying the car any easier?

If it was mine, I would just rinse it off good. Dry with a microfiber towel(s) or a leaf blower might be faster. Then just use a good detail spray and microfiber towel to restore the high shine. I have the Simonize ceramic process called Glasscoat, on my car, and I have mostly just used a car duster, followed with a wipe down with detail spray. If the dust isn't heavy, this seems to work well for me. I don't know how heavy the dust on your car might be, but if it's really noticeable, maybe a more thorough washing would be better. I would recommend buying a brand new washing mitt or at least a high quality sponge and use a car specific soap. Some might recommend the foam cannons etc., but the ceramic coating hydrophobic, meaning it will shed water easily, and carry the dirt with it. Drying should go fast with a towel or a blower. Microfiber will likely not introduce any scratches to the paint if you've rinsed it well. Just my opinion, you can get carried away with products and techniques to clean a car. You just want to make sure if you use a mitt or something that you're not swirling the dirt around all over the surface, which is why a new one would be best. Probably get lots of opinions on this topic.

Comment

Any suggestions on how or what to use to clean the suede part of the dash and door panels?

Comment

Hello,

I had my C8 covered with XPEL on the front end and ceramic coated on the back end. My installer
        said I should just use a low power pressure washer or a high pressure garden hose to wash off any
        dust. He then used a leaf blower to clean off water residue.

I have washed my C8 once since I took delivery in mid-November. Garden hose and leaf blower
        worked like a charm to take care of dust accumulation and made the car spotless.

Bob

Comment

i used to used a California duster on my car until a friend sent me this picture of a pollen grain. I threw the duster away right afterwards. Water hose down if no bugs or anything stuck to the paint, but if there is I do a complete wash; or alternatively, a high quality detailer (I used Adams) with good microfiber is all I now do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84A7F858-6176-4D22-BC4C-A644719265FD.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	257750

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Why use a leaf blower to dry the car??? Seems like a great opportunity to exercise the beast a bit!
            Rick, Charlotte, NC
            Current: 2019 GS, Shadow Grey Metalic, Modified

Next: 2021 Arctic White HTC, Z51, two tone red 3LT, mag ride, front end lift, carbon flash roof and nacelles, 5VM splitter and side skirts painted carbon flash, Vossen HF-3 black wheels, PPF and ceramic, lowering kit, window tint. Status 3000 with Feb allocation

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              i used to used a California duster on my car until a friend sent me this picture of a pollen grain. I threw the duster away right afterwards. Water hose down if no bugs or anything stuck to the paint, but if there is I do a complete wash; or alternatively, a high quality detailer (I used Adams) with good microfiber is all I now do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	84A7F858-6176-4D22-BC4C-A644719265FD.jpeg Views:	62 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	257750
              Same here. Used a California duster on a black BMW. Instant swirl marks. I chucked mine too.

Comment

i was able to use it on our yellow Corvette with feather-light pressure, but not on a medium nor darker color, for swirl marks and surface scratches that show in the sun are too easy to create.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Washed it today. Just used a medium pressure hose and it cleaned up real nice. That ceramic coating make cleaning a snap. Dried it up up some micro fiber towels and looks new again. I did place some towels over the engine vents so as not to get water in the engine bay. I cleaned the engine separately with some damp micro fiber clothes.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X