Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Paint Protection Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a quote of $1k for partial front and $2k for full front using our Corvette club discount. I'm probably going with partial which goes 24" up the good. Think the seam will be visible? Xpel premium product
    2021 Silver Flare 2LT HTC ordered July, 2019 was 3300 status last I heard, January delivery from Criswell ??

Comment

Originally posted by ratso View Post
      I got a quote of $1k for partial front and $2k for full front using our Corvette club discount. I'm probably going with partial which goes 24" up the good. Think the seam will be visible? Xpel premium product
      Yes you will see the seam.

Comment

I'm probably going with partial which goes 24" up the good. Think the seam will be visible? Xpel premium product
        Do the full hood. You'll be glad you did. If you are going to have seams, make sure they are along panel lines or seams; not in the middle of a panel.

Comment

Go full front. If you don’t the edge of the film on your hood will annoy you evey time you look at it. Ask me how I know? 🙄

Comment

I know it's an irrational thought, but every time I hear a discussion about ppf on a car I think about slip covers on a couch.
            Last edited by ABorC; 02-21-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABorC View Post
              I know it's an irrational thought, but every time I hear a discussion about ppf on a car I think about slip covers on a couch.
              Interesting analogy. I don' do ppf. Didn't do it on my C7 and won't on my C8. My 2014 C7 looked great when I traded it for my C8. I just don't bother and things work out just fine. Lotsa folks do it and I got nothing against it except the owners manual page 274 does say: "Finish Care. Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended."

Comment

I had never done it before but it does make the stripes look as if they are painted on. Only have 3000 miles on it now and no sign of any small chips or issues however probably too soon to tell. Makes the paint look richer and deeper though it is also combined with ceramic coating which may be the reason. Definitely an added expense which may pay off down the road if I ever decide to sell. I know some people don't care if there are some paint imperfections, but I never purchase a vehicle used with rock chips or scrapes - especially a sports car.
                Rocket City Florida

Comment

Absolutely it will be visible. And I know that for me it would become more visible, and more annoying, the more I look at it.
                  Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

If you rode your couch at 70 mph behind other cars kicking up dirt and gravel, you'd probably wish you had slip covers on it....
                    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Interesting analogy. I don' do ppf. Didn't do it on my C7 and won't on my C8. My 2014 C7 looked great when I traded it for my C8. I just don't bother and things work out just fine. Lotsa folks do it and I got nothing against it except the owners manual page 274 does say: "Finish Care. Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended."
                      The other side of the story is that on the first long drive I took in my C7 (Virginia to Bowling Green and back, mostly NOT on highways) I ended up with about 8 small paint chips on the front of my car, above the grill. With PPF, the paint would have remained intact.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

The other side of the story is that on the first long drive I took in my C7 (Virginia to Bowling Green and back, mostly NOT on highways) I ended up with about 8 small paint chips on the front of my car, above the grill. With PPF, the paint would have remained intact.
                        Yes I'm sure that can happen. Took my new 2014 C7 on a thousand mile round trip to our ADK camp and got a couple small marks. Mostly highways. Planning to try that again this summer with the C8 and will see how it goes.

meyerweb Why do you think they have that caution in the owners manual? Lotsa folks do it and I guess some dealers also offer it despite the manual comment.
                        Last edited by Boomer; 02-21-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Why do you think they have that caution in the owners manual? Lotsa folks do it and I guess some dealers also offer it despite the manual comment.
                          Good question. I'm sure there are some paint treatments that can damage the paint, and most of what car dealers sell is snake oil at absurdly inflated prices. But saying you shouldn't wax your car? That makes zero sense. And we have long term evidence of the benefits of ceramic coatings and PPF. People have been using these products with good results, and no negatives beyond cost, for many years. If they were bad for our paint, we'd sure know it by now.

My guess, if I have to make one, is that it's put there by the lawyers, so that if you use some kind of paint treatment that damages your car, GM can say "Hey, we told you not to do it. Not our problem."

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X