Pressure Washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washers

I have a question for those of you who use pressure washer, especially those who have PPF and ceramic coating.

What is the maximum pressure recommended? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want to damage my finish.

Darn good question. Part of the answer is that GM advises not to put it closer than 12” to body. Of course is that with a 1,400 psi one or a 2,500 psi one. Also caution if your car is wrapped to not get that edge “‘lifted,” especially if the PPF is not tucked around and behind at the edges.

I have used media pressure ones for year (1,750 psi and less) and never had an issue.

Here’s someone’s strong opinion.

“For any car, you need to choose a pressure washer which emits water with a pound per square inch (PSI) amount of 1200 to 2200. Anything more than 1900 PSI or at best 2000 PSI can damage the paint job on your car. In the same way, anything below 1200 PSI will not be forceful enough to clean your car properly. Jul 25, 2020”

What is the safe PSI for car wash? Update-2020 - Washer Daddy

What do you think of it? What psi washer do you use?

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I never get closer than 12x18” and always use the wide 40 degree nozzle. 5 years so far with ppf, no issues. 6 weeks C8 ppf and ceramic, good so far.
      GMO Rapid Blue, 3LT, HTO tension/twilight blue, FA5 CF interior, Z51, FE4 magnetic ride, E60 front lift, Q8T spectra gray tridents, STI composite rockers, VQK splash guards. Built 7/24, delivered 8/28.

Comment

OMG John, pressure washer!! Sorry, can't imagine using a pressure washer on any of our vehicles from the trucks to the vettes. lol We gently hand wash and look for any damage or wear. Besides, my dad would yell at me.
        2021 Elkhart Lake Blue coupe, 2LT, Front lift, Chrome Ext. Badge package, mag ride, performance exhaust. Feb 2020 refundable deposit to get on dealer allocation list, Aug 2020 signed a PO with dealer and paid non-refundable deposit.

Comment

So one day on a road trip I get mud all over my car. I need to get this mud off, I find a do it yourself car wash. I take the wand and soap it up let it sit a bit and then rinse it down.
          Whats happening to my eyes, I keep seeing weird stuff flying around. It was my cars clear coat coming off in large sheets. Talk about feeling sick. 😩 That was in 87 and was a new vette. The warranty covered the repair.

Comment

You can always run it through the Grinders.
            Rocket City Florida

Comment

Frenzy36, That was painful to watch.
              2021 Elkhart Lake Blue coupe, 2LT, Front lift, Chrome Ext. Badge package, mag ride, performance exhaust. Feb 2020 refundable deposit to get on dealer allocation list, Aug 2020 signed a PO with dealer and paid non-refundable deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                You can always run it through the Grinders.
                That didn't really happen. Trick photography.

Comment

I mainly use my pressure washer to power a foam cannon. If I do use it to rinse, that's from several feet away, so no extreme pressure.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I use a foam cannon as well....I never get closer than about two feet...and never stay in any one place too long...I do pretreat with bug release if needed as well as tire cleaner..so far no issues on any of my cars....
                    3lt SOT...cf racing stripe,front lift.mag ride, z51,cf mirrors & spoiler,bright trident wheels,yellow calipers, yellow stitching black leather ,yellow belts,

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X