MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Chazcron Driveway Walk-Around Videos! C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

Nano Ceramic Coatings: Yes Or No

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ripper View Post

Poo happens! I wouldn't say they did poor work, I'd really classify it as failed to actually do the work! They definitely applied the ceramic coating, but from what it looked like there was basically ZERO paint correction before hand!

I'm not upset about it... really more upset with myself for allowing it to happen. You know the old saying, "you learn from your mistakes"... well according to them there rules, I should be the smartest person in the world! It was an expensive lesson.

"Should be the smartest person in the world". Hahah I'm sure that applies to most of us!!
    You roll with the punches better than I would have, but good for you.
    The final finished product looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      You can use a DA on a nano-ceramic; in fact if you mess up in applying the stuff and leave a high spot, only a DA would “grind down” your high spot. However, I think, and someone smarter than me would have to confirm this, that after you do that, you would have to re-apply another super, super thin coat of it to finish it off.

Anyone know better?
      I am not sure if I am smarter but when I first applied ceramic coating (Adams) on one of our daily drivers I did have a high spot. I did use a DA and after applied another coating. All looked great. Love ceramic coatings.

Comment

For sure that if you leave a high spot, letting it dry on your car when you have applied a nano ceramic (N-C), only a DA would remove it. Hence why a massive amount of “use once and then throw away micro fibers,” both an initial wipe and then a second wipe with a different MF immediately afterwards, is what is needed. To me, the Costco package of them, once I first remove their labels, is cheap insurance for that specific use. As a nano ceramic contains literally a glass like fibers once dried (hence its roughly 8-10X harder than an OEM clear coat — and great protection), I never use an MF a second time after its initial use applying a N-C. I use about a half of a Costco package for each time I apply a N-C treatment to a car.
        Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in nano-ceramic coating too. When I first got my car, I used 22PLE. Since then, I've had my car professionally ceramic coated.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Having taught myself via extensive watching and re-watching of YouTube videos, and then doing two new cars extremely successfully with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic, there are four critical things IMO.

1) Excellent paint correction/preparation;

2) Follow manufacturers directions explicitedly, especially applying in specified temperature range;

3) Do not allow the coating to dry on the vehicle without doing the fourth step

3) Have an adequate supply of project-disposal new micro fibers (Costco’s work just fine once their tags are removed), and most importantly use the two sequential MF rags, critically wiping off the product to insure no high spots are allowed to remain and dry.

If I can teach myself and do this very successfully, everyone can. Next time I would use the Adams kit — to join my shelves and shelves of great Adams products.
            Thank you for the Info about DIY...

Can one take delivery at Bowling Green successfully drive home to Northern California with some "minor" dings after thousands of miles AND then do this John ? I honestly don't know... My Last C6Z I just waxed and waxed after it was delivered to San Bernardino from Les Stanford

Comment

I had it done on my 3 year old C7. The detailer clayed the car, did a single light polish with an orbital, and applied the coating. I have a few dings on the front clip, and one scratch on the hood. The ceramic coating didn't hide them, but they didn't prevent the application from working.

I'd say you could probably get away with a thorough cleaning and clay bar, then apply. If you want the best possible look, a light polish would be a good idea. Even on a brand new car, a clay bar and light polish will get you the best coating.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >31,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline Junky View Post

Thank you for the Info about DIY...

Can one take delivery at Bowling Green successfully drive home to Northern California with some "minor" dings after thousands of miles AND then do this John ? I honestly don't know... My Last C6Z I just waxed and waxed after it was delivered to San Bernardino from Les Stanford
                You'll have no problem with that.

What you seal is what you're stuck with, so be sure to have things like you want them prior to application. Just to be safe I'd clay the car and if you have a polisher give it some love first.

Comment

Key with ceramic coating: the paint MUST be immaculate prior to applying to coating. Seal in crappy paint, you get crappy results. Seal in beautiful paint, you'll be a happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
                    Key with ceramic coating: the paint MUST be immaculate prior to applying to coating. Seal in crappy paint, you get crappy results. Seal in beautiful paint, you'll be a happy camper.

Image result for wise guy gif

You poke'n fun at me? LOL... just kidding, you described exactly what I paid someone to do!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-14-18B.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	36812 GYEON Ceramic Coating (self applied)

Comment

Wow, super glossy! Please remind me I will need sunglasses on when I meet your car at the NCM 25th to avoid retinal blindness. It looks terrific!
                        Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X