MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast Now On With Lance Miller (Corvettes At Carlisle)

Steve Garrett introduces you to Lance Miller.  Lance is the Co-Owner of Carlisle Events, which hosts the largest Corvette show in the country— Corvettes At Carlisle. http://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/episo...-Miller-el6mbb. Corvettes at Carlisle is the only major Corvette show that took place this year.  Lance talks about how things went this year during the pandemic.  Plus, he also talks about what the show is like during a non-pandemic environment. Lance is also the owner of the 1960 #3 Corvette that won its class at Le Mans in 1960. You previously hear about this valuable car on CORVETTE TODAY in podcast #14 with Kevin Mackay, podcast #15 with Michael Brown and podcast #22 with Jan Hyde.  But in this podcast, you get the story from the owners perspective!

https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Miller-el6mbb
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

PPF disadvantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPF disadvantages?

It is impossible not to be impressed by the positive aspects of PPF but I haven't found much discussion about any downsides.

As somebody who had never had PPF but is considering it for my C8, I do have some concerns.

How much clarity is lost by applying the PPF vs a full paint correction with no film? Will my blue metallic paint be noticably duller in the bright sunlight or have it's color shifting affected when viewed from the angles?

If only wrapping the front end, how obvious is the transition point both visually and in a tactile sense?

For the edges that cannot be wrapped, does your eye just get used to seeing the seams near the edges of the panels?

How is the self-healing performance over time? Does it eventually show more wear and tear if the same section of film is being damaged repeatedly?

[QUOTE=jackfrostpdx;n148613]It is impossible not to be impressed by the positive aspects of PPF but I haven't found much discussion about any downsides.

As somebody who had never had PPF but is considering it for my C8, I do have some concerns.

How much clarity is lost by applying the PPF vs a full paint correction with no film? Will my blue metallic paint be noticably duller in the bright sunlight or have it's color shifting affected when viewed from the angles?
    If the installer is excellent, you'll be hard pressed to notice the car has the latest Xpel or SunTek on it at all. If you're OCD, like myself, and you study it carefully, close up, you can tell there is film on the car, but generally only by looking for edges or seams. 99 out of 100 people could never notice any color variables.

If only wrapping the front end, how obvious is the transition point both visually and in a tactile sense?
    This is important, and why I would never do a partial wrap, except when you can be sure the stopping point is a panel seam or can be wrapped around the edge. Example: my last C7 and this new car had/will have front bumper to hood opening and fender seam, mirrors, headlights, rockers. Of course, where there is a transition at a fender seam, you can slightly feel it if you run your fingers over it, but door panels can be wrapped at the edge.

For the edges that cannot be wrapped, does your eye just get used to seeing the seams near the edges of the panels?
    No, you don't get used to it. It drives me crazy to see the cars with a seam across the middle of the hood for instance. However, at the edges like a fender panel, it's acceptable to me, as long as the car is not white or Ceramic Grey, unless you're willing to carefully tape off those seems before polishing. That's because really light colors slightly darken over time at the edges. But again, the installers expertise is CRITICAL!

How is the self-healing performance over time? Does it eventually show more wear and tear if the same section of film is being damaged repeatedly?
    Speaking for my choice, Xpel Ultimate Plus, the self healing is excellent, but it should be obvious that it's not bomb proof. Example, if you drive on roads that spray pea gravel, or similar, onto the rockers...over time you might want to replace a piece of film that takes a long term beating. The good news: your paint underneath will still be like new.

Hope this helps you.😀

Last edited by George; 05-24-2020, 10:37 AM.
    '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
    '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
    '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
    '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
    '14 Black Z51 Coupe
    '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
    '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Ordered 7/28/19 / 3800 9/25/20 / 4150 9/28 / 5000 10/1/20😀

Comment

Thank you for sharing those answers. Very informative
      👍👍
      Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

I had the entire front end covered on a Mercedes with Expel. It was installed by one of the best in SoCal. The car looked great, however, when a stone or other object damaged it, it looked as noticeable as if the paint was damaged. The cost of replacing some of the damaged areas is a much as having a professional paint touch-up.
        In addition I did not like the feel of the finish as compared to paint, it did not detail as well as paint. I would not do it again. I am not saying that Expel is not an good product, it does what it advertises. I just like the look and feel of the original finish.

Comment

In heavy rain, having slowed down from the 80 MPH speed limit, we ran into a wooden chair that fell off a pick up right in front of us. Smacked it on the driver’s left corner, hitting the splitter, front fascia and the headlight bucket. It sounded like an explosion and we were sure the headlight and the front fascia were destroyed.

When we finally were able to get out an look, from more than 5’ away we could not see anything, and even when detailing from a foot away that night, we were amazed that nothing was cracked, broken, nor destroyed completely.

There are definitive plus to a PPF in certain circumstances (especially as we had sold the C6 Z06 and were driving it across the country for delivery).

A headlight bucket costs around $1,250, not counting the labor to totally remove the front fascia. If one does nothing else, get your headlights PFF’d.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by CVII View Post
            I had the entire front end covered on a Mercedes with Expel. It was installed by one of the best in SoCal. The car looked great, however, when a stone or other object damaged it, it looked as noticeable as if the paint was damaged. The cost of replacing some of the damaged areas is a much as having a professional paint touch-up.
            In addition I did not like the feel of the finish as compared to paint, it did not detail as well as paint. I would not do it again. I am not saying that Expel is not an good product, it does what it advertises. I just like the look and feel of the original finish.
            But as you say, the paint remains undamaged, unless it's a major impact. As we know it only heals itself from minor impacts. IMO, the problem with a "professional paint touch-up", if you're very fussy, it is nearly impossible to achieve a satisfactory result on most metallic and tint coat paint colors, and even non-metallics for that matter. You have to at least paint the entire panel, front end, etc. Even then and with blending, many colors are never the same. Therefore, to me, the better choice would to replace part of the PPF.
            Last edited by George; 05-24-2020, 01:06 PM.
            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
            '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

Originally posted by CVII View Post
              Thanks for review. Did you have ceramic applied to your Mercedes with respect to feel? How long ago did you have XPEL applied?

Comment

While most PFF wounds heal themselves, not 100% will always do so. In our C7 Z06 which was XPEL’d, there were two holes that never healed no matter what was tried. Probably 25+ others did heal. But those two small holes obviously caused by sharp rocks impacting at exactly the wrong angle were there the day we sold the car. Two minor holes after 28 states of traveling through....; we were happy with that to the point we just had our C8 XPEL’d (everything but not the hatch nor the rear fascia).

One of the other considerations when considering not to PFF but instead to have your paint touched up later, if you are getting a metallic, especially a tri-coat, matching so it is not noticed even for the better body shop can be a real challlenge, and why most body shops blend entire panels when faced with a bunch of front fascia rock chips. However, might you be good enough with Dr. Color Chip on a solid color Corvette to avoid all that?
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I had a less than stellar experience with Xpel Ultimate. Had a highly rated, experienced installer do the front nose and a few other areas on our previous white 2013 C6 60th Anniversary 427.

He used the computer generated kit that Xpel provides their dealers. What I didn't like was that the pre cut kit pieces didn't wrap around much of anything. The edges showed around the driving lights, headlights, front intake, well....... just about every edge. It did wrap over the edges of the hood, etc but other feature parts, just seemed to be cut out around with 1/8" or 3/16" gap. ESPECIALLY on the white color, those edges were very noticeable to me.

When cleaning, I was especially careful to wipe away from the edge of the Xpel rather than into it for fear of wiping any dirt, etc under the edge. Also didn't help that on my way home, 50 miles, I was in the heaviest rain storm I'd seen in years. Seems like a couple of the edges around the front driving lights lifted up slightly. After trying to press them back down several times, they just didn't want to adhere any longer.

Perhaps it was my error for not saying that I DON'T want the kit pieces used, that I only wanted hand fit, fully tucked in, or wrapped edges everywhere. That was 6 years ago, and I am considering getting it for this pending C8. The new car will be Torch Red, so I don't think edges will show as much, and maybe the Xpel kits are better these days. I also plan on talking with a SunTek dealer too, although I would have to travel further.
                  3LT Coupe, Z51 Torch Red with two toned Red/black interior. 5VM visible CF ground effects, Carbon Flash wheels, engine appearance package and Carbon Fiber interior trim. Mag Ride control. Red Calipers. VQK Splash Guards. Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

I have seen many pro ppf jobs on various cars. I don't care for the way it looks. Ceramic yes. PPF up close NO WAY. Paint touch up or a section repaint is preferable.

Comment

I am mixed about doing this. Weighing the pros and the cons the biggest con is the cost vs everything needs a repair if more than a minor stone chip hits the car. So bank the cost and put that money aside and pray you will never have to use it. .

Comment

I'm in the process of looking into this now as well.

I talked with a local installer who put on Sun Tech, which I think I prefer because I want more shine, but the demo car he showed me had all kinds of seams from those computer cut pieces. I definitely don't want that! Why in the world would they even do such a ridiculous thing? Material wise, It's not going to cost them much at all to use a slightly larger piece to wrap around the edges. Labor wise it's easier because you don't have to match the straight line up.

My question to some of you owners is that if you get expel, do you also need to pay a ton of money for ceramic coating in order to get a good quality shine? Sun Tech is supposed to shine more and the dealer told me I would not need a ceramic coating on top of it.

What do you guys think ?
                        2020 C8 | 2LT | Arctic White | S. Gray Trident Wheels | Bright Red Calipers | Carbon flash mirrors | GT2 Seats | Natural Leather | Front Lift | Engine Appearance Pkg | Red seat belts| Red Engine Cover.
                        Will add aftermarket: Black Lug Nuts with locking nut| Front/Rear Splash Guards | black out the gray on the wheels | TN air filter to bump it to 500 horse| partial PPF | and much needed window tint here in Central Florida

Comment

I have the hood fenders and front nose done, you can see the edges in some areas on the ceramic matrix gray . as far as the color, you can't see a difference from the fender compared to the door. I drive this car every day, if I didn't have it , the front bumper would be a mess . it is a must if you have to drive on a highway every day , or questionable roads with a lot of loose stones. I do have it ceramic coated , it helps keep the edges of the PPF clean, thats what they told me and it is true. It seals it a bit to keep dirt from getting under the edge
                          Last edited by Lance's tops; 05-26-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteHorse View Post
                            I'm in the process of looking into this now as well.
                            My question to some of you owners is that if you get expel, do you also need to pay a ton of money for ceramic coating in order to get a good quality shine? Sun Tech is supposed to shine more and the dealer told me I would not need a ceramic coating on top of it.

What do you guys think ?
                            I don't believe there is any noticeable difference between the newest Xpel Ultimate Plus and SunTek regarding gloss/shine.

IMO ceramics are not necessary unless you just hate washing and waxing, as they add another significant expense that most of us always got along just fine without, and still had beautiful shines. However, as someone noted above a good ceramic job would be advised on White or Ceramic Matrix to protect against noticeable darkening along any exposed edges. On darker colors it's not an issue. I also like the idea of hand cutting where the PPF can be wrapped, rather than the computer cut pieces that often end just short of a panel that could be wrapped.
                            Last edited by George; 05-26-2020, 04:34 PM.
                            '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                            '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                            '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe

Comment

This is another debate and there are many thoughts. Car should have paint correction first even if it is new. Then some say ceramic coating should be applied to give a better shine and make removal process easier years down the road and prevent damage. Then PPF installed. Then ceramic coating applied over the PPF.
                              Just my opinion- Unless it's a really expensive vehicle I can't justify the cost. Even if you ordered a completely loaded C8 around (100K) -depreciation 50-60 K in a few years so for myself I am not going to do anything except paint correction and ceramic spray. If the vehicle was a rare collector car and possibly going to move up in value then I would definitely run with the program. However I'm in my mid 50's and as we have all seen life can be too short so I'm going to drive it and enjoy it and not sweat a few scratches or rock chips.
                              Rocket City Florida

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X