MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 11 < >

C8 TO HAVE AN ACTIVE SPOILER VERSION? 1ST ZORA INTERIOR RENDERING THANKS TO FVS... WHAT THE ME WOULD LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

ME To Have Active Spoiler Version? : https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...r-aero-spoiler

Zora First Interior Rendering By FVS: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...nterior-render

ME’s Front Plate Appearance: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-appearance
2 of 11 < >

NEW “CHAZCRON” C8 SIDE RENDER... 1ST ZORA INTERIOR RENDERING THANKS TO FVS... WHAT THE ME WILL LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

New C8 Side Render by “chazcron”: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-rendering

Zora First Interior Rendering By FVS: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...nterior-render

ME’s Front Plate Appearance: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-appearance
3 of 11 < >

Our 1st Year Anniversary Of the First real View of the ME... 1ST ZORA INTERIOR RENDERING... WHAT THE ME WILL LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

One Year Ago, The Band Began To Play: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...year-ago-today

4 of 11 < >

New C8 Renders... 1st Zora Interior Rendering... What The ME Will Look Like With a Front License Plate

5 of 11 < >

Zora Interior Rendering... Latest Front Quarter ME Render... What the C8 will look like with a front plate...

6 of 11 < >

TODAY’S FVS (“FirstVetteSoon”) FRONT QUARTER RENDERING! New C8 Video and Pictures! WHAT WILL THE C8 LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT PLATE?

7 of 11 < >

What Will Zora Look Like With A Front Plate? Why ME’s Peridocally Go Missing In Action? Really Nice ACS Composite Rendering

8 of 11 < >

What Will The C8 Look Like With A Front Plate? ME to Have Aero Curtains? Nice Rendering By ACS Composite

9 of 11 < >

Latest ME Rendering Thanks To ACS Composite! ME Interior Colors; And, Your ME With Or Without A Spoiler?

10 of 11 < >

ME Interior Colors: Will You Choose Your ME With A Spoiler?; Learning About A DCT

11 of 11 < >

Side Intake Design; New FVS Lower Side View; Learn More About Of The DCT

See more
See less

Maintaining A Matt Paint Finish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining A Matt Paint Finish

Lexus sells two versions with OEM matt paint. Here is what they are telling owners of their matt finish cars.

Originally posted by [h=1
    Lexus Reveals Why Owning Matt Paint Is A Total Pain[/h]
    A unique style just isn't worth the effort.

Lexus has been rumored to be working on a hotter version of the RC F, but for now, the car has remained relatively the same since it was put on the market back in 2014. Lexus did make special edition models of both the RC F and GS F to commemorate the F brand's 10th anniversary, but no major performance upgrades accompanied the special editions.

The most significant change for the special edition cars was the use of matt Mercury Grey paint. This marked the first time Lexus had ever offered matt paint on a car and has now decided to make a blog post about how to maintain this type of paint job.

What was meant to be a useful piece of consumer advice, just makes us remember why we wouldn't want to own a car with matt paint. These paint jobs are lovely to look at on the right car but require a lot of work to maintain.

Lexus explains that a car's paint job is made up of four elements: primer coat, intermediate coat, top coat base, and top coat clear. The difference with a matt paint is the final clear coat, which has an uneven finish that diffuses reflected light to appear less glossy.

Due to its unique texture, matt paint is more prone to trap dirt, which means it needs to be washed carefully and often. Lexus specifically says "materials should be washed away.” as soon as possible so they do not settle into the surface and become more difficult to remove."

Matt paint also cannot be combined with normal cleaning supplies. Lexus warns that "Proprietary car body sealants and waxes are designed to form a protective film over a painted surface, so these should not be applied to the bodywork of a car painted with a matt finish. They will flatten the surface and make it more glossy."

The company goes into a lot of detail on how to maintain the paint but the highlights include parking it in a garage or using a cover with "fleece or non-woven lining," hand washing it (no automatic car washes or power washers), and quickly drying it to avoid water spots. The paint certainly looks cool, but owning it is only for the true enthusiasts who love detailing their rides.
    https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-revea...s-a-total-pain

[/Quote]
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

This is something I would not want to maintain or even have a "finish" like this on car . I know, just my opinion but , , yuck ......
    A thought if I might :-)

Comment

I kinda like it. Looks rustic or something. Didn't know till this thread they were such a PITB to maintain. Therefore I wouldn't want it.

Comment

I was at the local Mercedes store for annual service and looked a one with the matte finish on the showroom floor. The service advisor made it very clear that, while they can look 'nice' they are virtually impossible to maintain. The service techs have to be extremely careful they don't touch the finished surface if they have any kind of film on their hands. Overall, it makes a black car look like a 'piece of cake' to keep lookin' good!

PS: A lot of guys with the exotics have had 'em wrapped'.... They say its much easier to maintain and restore if necessary.

Comment

This is a Nightmare to maintain. Could not give me a vehicle with this finish. I would not be able to sleep thinking about how to keep it protected and looking good. Maybe I am just to familiar and happy with conventional finishes for vehicles.

Comment

I would not personally consider it. Fine for someone else, but just one fingerprint with oil on it by a passer by — say sun tan oil or French fries, and one would have to immediately work on it. And what if bird droppings with acid on it in a location where you would not dare stop you car for your safety.
            Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

Comment

HA!!! Little greasy fingers from French fries!!! OMG! Getting a headache already!!!!!!

Comment

No matt finish for you nor me Dave. I am one who parts my car at the far end of a parking lot, for concerns about door dings, but if I were to also have to worry about oily fingers on my paint, no thanks.

Even at a car show when you expect most to understand to keep their hands off, how many times do we come back from visiting other cars at the show to see fingerprints on many of our car’s panels. Fine, a microfiber, a spritz of detailer, and no harm no foul. If I had a matt finish car however, would never leave standing by my car at a show, not even to take a break to go to the head, or to go an see others’ cars. No thanks to that kind of fearful imprisonment, that they next person walking up to your car might causally and even in a friendly manner, put their hands on your baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post
                  HA!!! Little greasy fingers from French fries!!! OMG! Getting a headache already!!!!!!
                  Here at the beach (OC MD), I'd rather get hit by the french fry stain than the "processed" french fries the Sea Gulls excrete. Hope this helps your headache.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    No matt finish for you nor me Dave. I am one who parts my car at the far end of a parking lot, for concerns about door dings, but if I were to also have to worry about oily fingers on my paint, no thanks.

Even at a car show when you expect most to understand to keep their hands off, how many times do we come back from visiting other cars at the show to see fingerprints on many of our car’s panels. Fine, a microfiber, a spritz of detailer, and no harm no foul. If I had a matt finish car however, would never leave standing by my car at a show, not even to take a break to go to the head, or to go an see others’ cars. No thanks to that kind of fearful imprisonment, that they next person walking up to your car might causally and even in a friendly manner, put their hands on your baby.
                    Used to do Bike Shows.... Nightmare!! AGREE 100%!

Comment

I do shows only when I have a Corvette that is new to the Pacific Northwest — so I can share and answer questions. As we will probably have one of the earliest ME’s in our state next year, I will go to as many as I can at the very beginning.

Then after that, only go when I am asked by friends to support their shows (about a show or two a year toward the end of a Corvette generation), or to assist in a charity raising show.

I prefer driving!

Comment

I prefer glossy paint.
                        Looking forward to our ME arriving late next summer.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X