MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today With Keith Cornett: Latest Corvette News

Even though we're into the holiday season, there's still a lot of Corvette news! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-en2b43 Steve Garrett and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com fill you in on what's going on.  Here are a few of the headlines discussed in this episode of CORVETTE TODAY:
1.  First pictures of the new right-hand-drive C8 Corvette headed to Japan
2. Lawsuit with GM about cracked Corvette Grand Sport wheels has been dismissed
3. C8 Corvette named to Car & Driver’s annual “10 Best” list for 2nd year in a row.
4. 2020 C8 Corvette goes on sale in the Middle East
5. Final production stats for the 2020 C8 announced
6. Nick Tandy to replace Oliver Gavin on Corvette Racing Team
7. Chevrolet celebrates IMSA championships with new commercial
8. The ’63 Split Window makes Hagerty’s list of coupes worth more than their convertible siblings
9. Procharger teases of a supercharged C8 Corvette
10. OnStar thwarts the theft of a 2020 C8 Corvette
Happy Holidays!
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Fix for Free that C5 HVAC head LCD readout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for Free that C5 HVAC head LCD readout

There is a common failure point for all C5 HVAC controller head in where the LCD screen the output goes dim and in sunlight cannot even be seen
    to make adjustments for what you want in HVAC

Replacement HVAC units today costs as much as $600 plus yours as a core but since GM quit using these is harder to find these for sale

Some vendors do have a repair service where you have to mail them the unit and then have the down time to get the unit back to them
    Many charge $75 plus and the cost of round trip shipping
    This could take from 1-2 weeks

Here is an example of fixing this command failure point :

There is eight resistor packs, on top they say "241"
    Over time due to heat the soldering joints from them crack causing lower voltage to the LCD screen
    1. Take the HVAC unit out of the console, there is only 1 small mounting screen at each end.
    2. Disconnect the wiring harness from the unit
    3. Remove 4 small screws on the back side to crack open the rear and front cases.
    4. Lift up the rear daughter board out of that back case
    5. Turn over and look for eight resister packs labeled 241
    6. Use a low wattage soldering iron with thin solder
    7. Re-solder both ends of each of the 8 resister packs, do not over heat them
    8. Best is re-solder just one end of each and then let them cool a few minutes and then re solder the other ends
    9. So that is 16 solder joint ends
    10. While unit is open lift the front daughter board by removing 4 small screws (1 per corner) and there is several LED as lights and the LCD screen and the lens for it and clean them
    11. Reverse the process in putting the HVAC unit back together and then reinstall back into the console
    12. Before installing center console turn Ign key to ACC and assure LCD now reads clearly

Cost is zero if you have small soldering iron and thin roll of solder, otherwise maybe spent $25 for them and use for other projects

Here is before and after re-soldering was done

NOTE :
    To show this I traced what each wiring pin was for and then temporarily hooked up voltages and ground to make the LCD screen viewable

Not something you need to do

Before Fix

After Fix
    Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
    1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Great post. I did this a few years ago when our non-GM shop wanted more than $600 to replace this unit. Worked like a charm. My wife was so impressed. Shucks, I just got it of the web from solid dudes like TeamZR1.
    2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Sooo, I've been driving with a dim screen for several years. Even in the evening, when the light was on in the car, nothing was visible on the screen. The numbers were slightly visible in total darkness, so this was a really big problem. I did not find a single service that was ready to fix it for less than $ 500, but it seems to me that it is too expensive ... I also could not find a replacement, since they simply are not available in the used market in my city. I tried changing diodes but it didn't help at all. By the way, nobody needs several such diodes https://www.hv-caps.com/High_Voltage...1212/3343.html? Thanks so much for sharing this information. I will definitely try this weekend, I hope I succeed ...
      Last edited by maligoing; 10-20-2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
      Working...
      X