• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

Yes it is. Been that way for decades.
    Documentation? Based on what the factory tour says, the engine first gets fired up as it leaves the assembly line and heads to the alignment bay.

Leave a comment:

• RoketRdr
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

Break in is still for both. Engine is not fully broke-in when you get your new Corvette.
    Yes it is. Been that way for decades.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied

What he said. Break in is for the drive train not the engine. Engine rings and bearings get seated at the factory with one full throttle pull with break in oil.
    Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

Break in is still for both. Engine is not fully broke-in when you get your new Corvette.
    No way GM fills the crankcase with break-in oil, then dumps it and refills it with Mobil 1. No way. The only break in your Corvette engine gets at the factory is when they drive it off the end of the line to the "alignment bay," and then hook it up for the diagnostics test before it goes out into the parking lot. And that's on regular old Mobil 1, and not at full throttle.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Z06ZR1
    replied

What he said. Break in is for the drive train not the engine. Engine rings and bearings get seated at the factory with one full throttle pull with break in oil.

Leave a comment:

• Mobius
    replied
    Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post

Suggests to me, for those who really want to take care of their cars for a long and trouble free life, it would be a good move to change transaxle fluids after the first couple of thousand miles. And get the steel **** off of any magnetic drain plugs.
    Yes, I'm looking forward to putting the C8 on the lift and performing this transmission fluid change.

I changed out the diff and tranny fluid in my C7, and I noted that my C7 came from the factory a bit low on differential fluid - I'm glad I caught this early.

Leave a comment:

• Milliwatt Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    I had a 1-to-1 talk with Dave Hill, Chief C5/early C6 Engineer. He told me that the reason for the break in period in his mind was more the trans gears, the differential and the bearings rather than the motor, and if he had his way, the break in would be longer than GM’s 500 miles; the compromise, is why there is a second mileage break in for those who track their cars, e.g., 1,200 miles.
    Suggests to me, for those who really want to take care of their cars for a long and trouble free life, it would be a good move to change transaxle fluids after the first couple of thousand miles. And get the steel **** off of any magnetic drain plugs.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    There are crazy people who beat their cars from the moment they pull out of the dealership. GM often has wjat I consider the highest durability factor built into their cars. Even so...i recommend respect for the machine is a more prudent path to take.

i do believe to this day to warm the engine up to appropriate operating temperature (150 degree oil temps) before running past 4000 rpm...

is it necessary? Probably not bit I have gotten such wonderful ownership experiences over the many years...jist by using common semse.

the same holds true to the break in period...follow the directions of the manufacturer...and remember its as much about the transmission amd differential, the brakes and every other component related that being considerate has its place...

has its value...

to those that beat the **** out of the car from day one...its your car...you own it...more power to you and Im sure you
    l be just fine...

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I had a 1-to-1 talk with Dave Hill, Chief C5/early C6 Engineer. He told me that the reason for the break in period in his mind was more the trans gears, the differential and the bearings rather than the motor, and if he had his way, the break in would be longer than GM’s 500 miles; the compromise, is why there is a second mileage break in for those who track their cars, e.g., 1,200 miles.

Leave a comment:

• ZORA 69
    replied
    Don't think with planning on spending 85K on a C8 that this is the time to Join The Hard Break In Team. I am staying on The Follow The Manufactures Break In Team

Leave a comment:

• Mobius
    replied
    Even brakes and tires have a break in consideration.
    There's a break-in period for drivers, too.

Every Corvette Gen is different and you need to take some time to get used to the unique feel of the car.

The C8 is going to be even more unique.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    There is zero chance GM is putting break in oil in the engine, firing it up (either before it's installed or after), then draining out the break in oil and refilling with Mobile 1. Zero.

Leave a comment:

• RoketRdr
    replied
    When you are breaking in the car, you are breaking in the entire car, not just the engine. Those who want to go WOT and 3 second 0 to 60 on a brand new car are abusing the drive train. The subject here is appropriate break in procedure. Not limited to engine. Even brakes and tires have a break in consideration.
    That's what I said. More than once.

Leave a comment:

• Milliwatt Rob
    replied
    When you are breaking in the car, you are breaking in the entire car, not just the engine. Those who want to go WOT and 3 second 0 to 60 on a brand new car are abusing the drive train. The subject here is appropriate break in procedure. Not limited to engine. Even brakes and tires have a break in consideration.

Leave a comment:

• RoketRdr
    replied

So how do you rev the engine above 3500 without putting its output to the drive train??
    Not sure what you're getting at. The factory Rev limit indicator that's on these cars for the first 500 miles is so that you don't overheat the drive train gears and ensures they go through enough heat cycles to polish and mesh. It's not for a proper engine break in as that's already been done before it left the factory.

Leave a comment:

• Milliwatt Rob
    replied

It's for the drive train not the engine.
    So how do you rev the engine above 3500 without putting its output to the drive train??

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X