Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

Break In Method: Hard or Babying It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

What he said. Break in is for the drive train not the engine. Engine rings and bearings get seated at the factory with one full throttle pull with break in oil.
    Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

Break in is still for both. Engine is not fully broke-in when you get your new Corvette.
    No way GM fills the crankcase with break-in oil, then dumps it and refills it with Mobil 1. No way. The only break in your Corvette engine gets at the factory is when they drive it off the end of the line to the "alignment bay," and then hook it up for the diagnostics test before it goes out into the parking lot. And that's on regular old Mobil 1, and not at full throttle.
    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post

Break in is still for both. Engine is not fully broke-in when you get your new Corvette.
      Yes it is. Been that way for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by RoketRdr View Post

Yes it is. Been that way for decades.
        Documentation? Based on what the factory tour says, the engine first gets fired up as it leaves the assembly line and heads to the alignment bay.
        Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Well..2021, vin 770. Is OUT! So I picked my car up from paint protection Etc. was driving home hit 500 miles and at 506 complete over heat spewing coolant over the entire engine. Calling dealership this morning. I could not be more embarrased and furious. Did proper break in, gave it a punch at 506, and boom.
          3lt, zeus bronze z51, mag ride Front lift with memory Battery Protection Package Edge Red-painted calipers Performance exhaust Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels Rocker panel extensions in Black Carbon Flash Metallic-painted mirrors Black seat belt color GT2 bucket seat Illuminated door sill plates with Stingray logo Full Length Dual Racing Stripe Package, Carbon Flash Metallic ENGINE APPEARANCE PACKAGE

Comment

Hmmm...to consider for the “Hard” crowd: warranties have specificities written into them for compliance and coverage purposes, failure to comply with warranty terms, then you may also fail to receive warranty coverage.

For the “Soft” crowd, you may never have to use your warranty (manufacturer or GMEPP, or what have you), but if, in the unfortunate event you have a potential covered warranty item, you’ll be able to rest, assured in knowing that your warranty compliance will most likely result in warranty coverage.

if none of the above matters to anyone, then throw caution to the wind, ride it like you stole it and don’t hurt anyone along the way by your foolishness.
            07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

Comment

Originally posted by Ldstoy94 View Post
              Well..2021, vin 770. Is OUT! So I picked my car up from paint protection Etc. was driving home hit 500 miles and at 506 complete over heat spewing coolant over the entire engine. Calling dealership this morning. I could not be more embarrased and furious. Did proper break in, gave it a punch at 506, and boom.
              I've read of a few with one of the coolant line(s) pushing off and dumping it all.......what did the service guy find?

Waiting @1375 with Kerbeck: 2021/22 Corvette 2LT coupe -Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Adrenalin red - front lift - chrome badging

Comment

Originally posted by Chev View Post

I've read of a few with one of the coolant line(s) pushing off and dumping it all.......what did the service guy find?
                They just called. It was the coolant manafold line, the c-clamp failed at the engine coupler. They need to take on a 5 mile drive, then connect gm computers to do live check on all recorded data. This should show if there was any other damage due to overheat, so they say... know more tomorrow.
                3lt, zeus bronze z51, mag ride Front lift with memory Battery Protection Package Edge Red-painted calipers Performance exhaust Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels Rocker panel extensions in Black Carbon Flash Metallic-painted mirrors Black seat belt color GT2 bucket seat Illuminated door sill plates with Stingray logo Full Length Dual Racing Stripe Package, Carbon Flash Metallic ENGINE APPEARANCE PACKAGE

Comment

Engineers prescribe the break in procedure and I follow the owners manual as written. Seems to work for my cars. I do tend to put at least 500miles quickly on the ODO within the first two weeks of ownership. I find it easy to do most of the break in on the highways--watching traffic of course. An old federal highway is my first choice. charlie aka cutnout

Comment

I used to subscribe to the whole, machining and tolerances now a days are so good they don't need to be broken in and drive it like you're going to really drive it for the break in period.

That being said, since GM was very adamant that this car needs a break in period, to the degree of even limiting the cars performance for 500 miles, I think i'm going to follow the recommended breaking procedure outlined in the manual for this one.

Comment

I used to be in the hard break-in crowd. But I bought a new car, gave it a hard break. The local car club left for the 5 hour trip to the Dragon at 8am. I signed for the car at 9:45 and got to the Dragon 30 minutes behind the club. I loved the car, but everything fell apart at 70k. It might have nothing to do with the hard break-in (it was a Mini), but I'm not taking the chance. I'll follow the engineers' recommendations.
                      LT2, Red Mist, Z51, Mag Ride, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels/Mirrors/Spoiler, Red Calipers, Two Tone Adrenaline Red/Black Seats, Museum Delivery

Comment

I'm planning on picking up my C8 at the NCM then driving it across the Northern US then back home in CA.... Guess I should plan to spend a day or two just tooling around the backroads of KY at varying speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by sanarchitect View Post
                          I'm planning on picking up my C8 at the NCM then driving it across the Northern US then back home in CA.... Guess I should plan to spend a day or two just tooling around the backroads of KY at varying speeds...
                          That'll be more fun than getting on the highway right away anyway.

Comment

I love that this thread still has legs! Hard Break In For Life!

Comment

My old man always said “when you get a new car, you ride it hard, ride it long and push it to its limits. If somethings gonna break, leak, etc, it’ll most likely do so within the warranty period”. Of course, he was referring to the old, simple V6’s and V8’s with 4bbl Carburetors, points and condensers, and timing measured from top dead center. Most of those cars in 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s had little to no high tech in them. When new, You rode’em hard, rode’em long, and put ‘em away wet. If anything busted, return back to dealer, and GM approves the fix.

In today’s modern world, where EVERYTHING is monitored digitally and electronically, GM could easily determine if an owner was compliant per owners manual “Break-In” procedure. As such, if you rode her hard and long, they’ll know so. In the final analysis, why do that to your $100,000 baby. Treat her well, and after you’ve busted her 🍒, then you can ride it like you stole it, within the constraints of the law of course, and enjoy your baby. 🤩😎
                              07/01/20 Deposit @ VanBortels on 2021 C8 Coupe; 08/01/20 Prelim Order Status 1100; 01/21/21 Final Order Status 2000; 01/27/21 Status 3000; 2LT Coupe; GMO; DSZ; Q8Q; HTA; AQ9; E60; FE2; NPP; ERI

Comment

I do the break in. It is also for the rear end, brakes and many other parts besides the engine. I plan on keeping what I buy. Damage you do from improper "brake-in" may not show for a while.
                                To each his own. I bought a 2006 Z06 with only 7,000 miles but the track duty was not exposed till I bought the car. Showed signs it was drove pretty hard at a young age. It was not a "Good one no direct issues yet but I didn't keep it too long. Plus I discovered I didn't like the two tone interiors!
                                Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-19-2021, 02:08 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X