Dry Ice Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ice Cleaning

This process is new to me. Has anyone had experience with dry ice cleaning? I understand it is good on the undercarriage, but can it clean oxidized body paint?
    C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Originally posted by Ralston View Post
    This process is new to me. Has anyone had experience with dry ice cleaning? I understand it is good on the undercarriage, but can it clean oxidized body paint?
    We used it in the glass making industry to clean burned on lubricants and chemicals off of the glass forming equipment. It was used due to its ability to clean surfaces while not hurting bearings like sand blasting. It was also excellent since it did not harm electrical components and such like high pressure water jet cleaning would have.
    “News of my death in a 2024 Z06 has been greatly exaggerated”

Comment

There's a video on YouTube of a really old, really dirty engine block being cleaned that way. It appears to work, but I'm not sure I'd use it on a complete car, with bodywork, rubber and plastic bits still attached.

Here it is:

Although here's one where they did it on the under carriage of a 911, so I guess as long as the operator is careful with his aim...

It does seem to be rather extreme, though, unless the surfaces you want to clean are really bad.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Actually, I don't have anything old enough to justify getting the equipment. That would have been my first car, a Model A. I suppose the NCRC would have been a better forum to ask the question.
        C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post
          Actually, I don't have anything old enough to justify getting the equipment. That would have been my first car, a Model A. I suppose the NCRC would have been a better forum to ask the question.
          I think this is probably offered as a service rather than as equipment an individual car owner would buy. One of those vids said, I think, the equipment costs $40K, so you'd need to be able to put it to commercial use, for a fee, for it to make any sense.
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
          Working...
          X