MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Cool new exhaust manifold bolt broke on my c6 ls3 and now the 10 minute fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB
    replied
    This is a great way to secure the cast iron exhaust manifold to the head should an exhaust manifold bolt breaks off during a trip to the dealer.

I put corrosion x into the bolt hole above the traditional bolt location to clean out the debris by putting the bolt in first and then screwing it out.

i secured the pinch bolt to 33 foot pounds and the two in the head to just taut..

worls like a charm.

for anyone who gets hit with the dreaded cast iron manifold rust issue on bolts ...this was a cool solution ..

pass the information along as I can tell you Im not the only one this could happen to...

cast iron manifolds long term were not the best solution. Probably would go stainless steel headers a long time ago if I had 20/20 hindsight...

my excellent GM tech went in for an air conditioner replacement back in september and the exhaust manifold bolt broke off.
    I wanted a solution. This was awesome.

car runs great. The guy who buys this corvette is getting a great car.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    So sorry guys —I just re-read my post and realized that wherever I said “head bolts”, I meant exhaust bolts that screw into the head! NEVER use anti-seize compound on head bolts! Sorry for the mixup.

Leave a comment:

• Neil H
    replied
    Great article JB.
    I've seen lots of broken head bolts.
    The end ones break if you merely look at them wrong!
    Most of the time, the mechanic needs to remove the manifold & the bolts are already cracked, then break right off -- then they have to try to explain it to the customer!
    Very nasty to get out if they are seized in & have seen guys wreck heads by not knowing all the tricks coupled with bad luck.
    Ingenious invention & very simple.
    One thing I would add -- use anti-seize compound on all head bolts and exhaust bolts or they will seize.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
    JB you need to edit the URL link to replace the , with a .com

name of www.kralautoparts,com
    thank you.. thats how excited I am this simple fix installed....to bring my baby back to as good as new...

Jim Kral is truly a gentleman especially in our discussions and execution of this kap 108 for corvettes...

Leave a comment:

• Teamzr1
    replied
    JB you need to edit the URL link to replace the , with a .com

name of www.kralautoparts,com

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    I know Im going overboard with excitement but it was a unique solution for ls3 exhaust bolt breakage and the end result solution was so simple, so completely seamless...

im very hapoy...

you need proper airflow execution to have these cars running in tip top shape...

the car still runs like brand new even with 138k miles that Ive put on it since I bought it from kerbeck so many many moons ago.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    Btw Jim Kral is out in Minnesota...such a stand up guy...really went the extra mile.

anybody ever have a tech break an exhaust manifold bolt knows what can be involved removing the bolt.

this guy Jims solution was masterful and we worked together to get the part to change over from a ls truck motor to a corvette ls3 with its different manifold shape...l

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied

i love youtube...with the corvette there is no moving of the dipstick and this part...the kap 108d is incase two holts broke...

jim kral who is such a great guy makes specific brackets for each of the different broken exhiast bolts.

mine was just the rear most exhaust bolt on the passenger side...

this kral 108 specifically designed for the corvette ls3 make this a ten minute install...

so much less time consuming and much much less costly...

$60 for the bracket versus hours and hours to extract the bolt that broke off...

this was a huge win win...

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied
    This is video for the ls truck motors ...which needed to be reshaped for the corvette ls3 manifolds....

for the ls3 there is no moving of the dipstick or inner fender or anything other than the oil cap amd the engine cover both just until the installation of the reshaped brack is completed..

you can see the difference in the circumference in the kap 108 in my photos as compared to the video...

i love it when a plan goes together ...

took me lomger to figure out to transfer the photos from my cell phone than to imstall the part on the corvette!

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Good for you JB. Thanks for sharing the process.

Leave a comment:

• Cool new exhaust manifold bolt broke on my c6 ls3 and now the 10 minute fix!

Click image for larger version  Name:	541A686F-9907-4BF6-8BF1-22C2F78E3155.jpeg Views:	38 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	106400Click image for larger version  Name:	F1A1637A-3B66-410F-83EA-4832316D6C17.jpeg Views:	42 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	106398Click image for larger version  Name:	BAE111F0-0D19-480A-8545-B4E4B2B1DD8E.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	106397Click image for larger version  Name:	6D45251D-1ED7-4944-8E65-67DFC9F6913B.jpeg Views:	42 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	106396Click image for larger version  Name:	541A686F-9907-4BF6-8BF1-22C2F78E3155.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	106399Click image for larger version  Name:	29E336E3-0BC8-478C-BCC6-31E2D0B5940A.jpeg Views:	41 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	106394Click image for larger version  Name:	A1B73ADA-84ED-4BA9-9D5D-F1C4CA02FA0C.jpeg Views:	41 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	106395 so back at the end of sept i had the dealership install a new air conditioner in my c6 and a exhaust manifold broke during their process. From my understanding these things can break even with the best GM techs...

so upon taking the vehicle home with its new ac unit installed I noticed the pcm was reading excess air running past the rear o2 sensor.

Wasnt a big deal but I did notice a fuel mileage drop and a strange driving sensation...the pcm was adding fuel to the incoming fuel mixture to compensate

so I did my reseach and found a company by the name of www.kralautoparts.com had created a marine application of extra threaded holes in the ls3 heads and an accompanying bracket to successfully secure the exahist manifold without having to drill out the previous broken bolt. In my case it was the last bolt on the drivers side.

i ordered the part for the ls truck motor and the exhaist manifold was different so the part wouldnt go on.

i called the owner Jim Kral who is such a great guy...i sent him photos as well as a template I made of the part I needed to fit the corvette specific ls exhaist manifold. jim Kral also took a ls3 manifold and double checked and then created the kral 108 part to fit my c6.

Jim Kral is a stand up guy...shipped me the part and in ten minutes of install time..lmy c6 is running like a champ again.

in laymans terms which is what I am...this part puts 35 lb/ft of pressure on the exhaust manifold which is almost double what the stock bolt puts on the exhaust manifold to the head in the exact same location but mounted at two spots predrilled by gm from the facotry which if I understand correctly are for marine applications.

here are some photos...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JB; 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM.

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X